myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Exocet has an interesting foil board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I think being able to move the foil is really important.

Every foil is different. Every sailor goes at different speeds and is a different weight. Some like a different stance.

This is why we can adjust the foot straps, sail size, mast location, fin size, etc.

The one thing with many foil boards you can't adjust is the foil location, and in my opinion that happens to be the most important thing to adjust when foiling.

Some foils are front foot heavy, some back foot, and some it depends on how you sail. With no adjustment option you could be out of luck if you do not feel balanced.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In windsurfing, you can raise the nose by EITHER moving the track back or moving the track FORWARDS. Forward would need you to raise the booms and rake the sail back. The racked back sail creates lift and lowers nose weight.
But don't try it if you don't want to.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My limited experience is that narrower boards don't pump nearly as well. Also volume in the tail is important.

I've been tossing around the idea of an adjustable box that would fit tuttle heads but there are some technical challenges.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, old narrow boards with long flats of 30 or more inches pump the same as modern wider boards of equal volume and planing surface, if you knew how to pump them.
Lack of weight with adaquate float is most important.
Pumping ability varies greatly within the realm of advanced windsurfers.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue I would have with moving the sail forward is I already have too much forward weight when pumping. The more I move forward, the more weight goes to the front of the board, so now the board starts pushing more water, the foil itself if tilted slightly in a downwards angle because all my weight is up front, so it takes more wind to get going.

Also when riding swells which is what I like to do I have either no power in the sail or I just grab a little gust now and then if I have to move to another swell. So at that point the sail is just dead weight, so having it further forward would require more back foot pressure.

I understand now what you are saying, but for those reasons that solution does not work for me.

I have found long boards glide really nicely in sub-planing conditions. Perhaps the Naish board is not long enough for this but it has a couple other features that help the glide.

It has the adjustable foil, which when moving up on a board including SUP boards creates more lift and earlier take off.

I believe they also have it angled in a way that creates some lift as soon as you start pumping or gliding. This is important because that extra lift, although it might not get you out of the water instantly, creates a situation where the board is pushing less water, thereby it can continue to pickup speed easier.

They do have this attachment https://chinooksailing.com/products/powerplate-windsurf-foil-plate-coming-soon which I think is what you are talking about, and I hear good things about it. However, there are still other issues with this attachment such as foot strap location, and that is why I am looking at getting a new board. I know the foot straps can be moved, but that also requires adding more deck padding, and at a certain point it just feels better to get the new board.

It would be great to be able to have some tests in the same wind conditions, same sail, same sailor, same foil, etc. and see which boards get going sooner, but those types of tests are rare. I wish I knew for sure which board would foil sooner but I can't be sure.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I failed to notice that the Exocet has a NAISH foil.
My friend The professor saw this.

It does come up in the Seabreeze thread, but only briefly

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for suggesting raking the sail back. While I can't move it forward, I will play around with moving the boom higher to see if that helps with the back foot pressure.

I know one other foiler who likes a high boom for just that reason I believe. He said it helps him rise up on the foiler sooner.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
In windsurfing, you can raise the nose by EITHER moving the track back or moving the track FORWARDS. Forward would need you to raise the booms and rake the sail back. The racked back sail creates lift and lowers nose weight.
But don't try it if you don't want to.

This advice is good for windsurfing (as he says).
HOWEVER regarding windfoiling, the COE to CLR balance is very different. The forces are different... and other forces do different things, when you're in the air balancing on a wing that's flying through the water.

dllee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look closely at the World Cup foilers on their slalom boards, you will find their settings the same as for slalom.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
If you look closely at the World Cup foilers on their slalom boards, you will find their settings the same as for slalom.

That's interesting... thanks, I didn't know that.

Although I'm not sure that makes a lot of difference to me, cause I'm not a World Cup Foiler, I'm a novice foiler.
And regarding their world cup slalom race kit... I probably wouldn't have much fun windsurfing with that either. I'm not very skilled, and no where near their fitness level.
Also, I would go through a slalom course faster on my freeride gear, than I would sailing the kit that the top guys use in world cup races.

Back to foiling -
You say a lot of world cup foilers are using their slalom boards, for windfoil boards. Which ones? I mean, can you post links to pics, showing this?
Thanks again -

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: