myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Exocet has an interesting foil board
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Exocet has an interesting foil board Reply with quote

with all the foil chat, i do not remember seeing about this board on iwindsurf:

https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Review/Exocet-RF91-Foil-Board?page=1

dllee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the superwide tail model to offset the safety soft features of the rest of the board?
New trend, new ideas.
I like the 105 Slingshot as a regular windsurf freeride.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very interested in this board and am closely following comments.

I like that they moved the tuttle box up more for a better balance between the front and back leg when foiling.

I like the flat deck for better control with in board foot straps. I noticed the more my feet are rounded on the edge the less control I have of the board when foiling.

The carrying handle is a good idea too as I have to use the foot strap as a carrying handle.

I was told you can get in the foot straps on this board before pumping, which I can't do on my JP 155. I only have the front foot in and have to wait until I get going to put the back foot in.

If anyone has first hand experience with this board please let us know if pumping is possible in the foot straps.

Thanks
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

< If anyone has first hand experience with this board please let us know if pumping is possible in the foot straps. >

I haven't had first hand experience with this board yet... but I will get a chance to try it out a bit... in the next few weeks.

But I can answer your question anyway -
Answer is, "it depends".
Depends on the sailor's weight... the wind speed... how powerful your sail is... etc.
A lighter weight guy like you, will definitely be able to get in both straps early. I'd guess, that, as soon as you're moving, you'll be able to get in the straps... cause of your lighter weight... and the big, thick tail... and your powerful sail, if you have 8 knots wind... and as you know, the stabilizing effect the big foil has, when you start moving through the water is great. Put all that together... and I bet you'll be in the straps, just after you start moving. Also this board has lots of strap insert options. My theory for you, is based on the straps installed more away from the rail.

grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be great if board companies put a graphic indicating volume distribution of their boards so that a person can make more educated guesses and compare product.
Greg and I being somewhere around 200# are going to need a lot more volume in the tail than the riders most equipment is designed around.

That said this board is a definite step towards the ideal uncompromised foil specific shape.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Greg, I am deciding between this board and the new Naish Windfoil board which is not out yet.

Right now I am leaning towards the Naish board for two reasons.

One is I really want the ability to adjust the foil location.

This is a big problem with my current board as my style of wind foiling and my current Naish foil require more rear foot pressure with that board. If I could move it forward it would change the balance. I really like the idea of being able to move it. I might even move it up further in the lighter wind days for early take off.

Two is someone in another thread mentioned the big wide boards kind of go no where until a big enough gust comes to get us started. I know first hand what they mean.

I am thinking the Naish board with a narrower longer shape will start gliding sooner, and a glide with that adjustable foil location is probably enough to get up on the foil in very light winds. If it works like their current board where you start off in the foot straps, that would be an additional bonus for early foiling.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you decrease back foot load by moving mast track forwards and raising boom?
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately not. Everything is back as far as it can go. I even changed to a one bolt mast track so I could move it a little further back.

The other issue I have is I do more swell riding with an up right stance and the foot straps on the JP 155 are very far outboard. My rear foot stays in the middle when riding a swell, but my front foot is way on the outside of the board which is awkward.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mast track FORWARDS
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving anything other than the foil forward would increase the leverage needed by the rear foot.

The problem is I already have too much weight up front, and this causes me to have to compensate by pressing down with my back leg to stay in the air. At times my back leg gets tired first.

The only thing to move forward which would work would be the foil, and that is stuck in a tuttle box.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: