myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Exocet has an interesting foil board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tons. Just go on u tube and look at the euros using their normal slalom boards and their normal slalom sails.
Some here copy their Formula foil setup but move mastrack back to around 24" from center of front straps.
Booms are lower, and lines forward, of course.
This with race or slalom foils, not with wave foils.4
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Actually, old narrow boards with long flats of 30 or more inches pump the same as modern wider boards of equal volume and planing surface, if you knew how to pump them.
Lack of weight with adaquate float is most important.
Pumping ability varies greatly within the realm of advanced windsurfers.

I'm sure that's true, however I foil much sooner on a formula board compared to a freeride board of the same volume.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Tons. Just go on u tube and look at the euros using their normal slalom boards and their normal slalom sails.
Some here copy their Formula foil setup but move mastrack back to around 24" from center of front straps.
Booms are lower, and lines forward, of course.
This with race or slalom foils, not with wave foils.4

Yes I know plenty of guys foiling with bigger slalom boards, that they can easily uphaul. And I know plenty of guys (including me) foiling with formula boards.
And I've watched almost all that's out there on youtube about foiling.
But I'm pretty sure the world cup guys are using purpose built foil boards. And yes it's true, they "look" very much like big slalom boards and FW... but they're a little different. Subtle things like, the beefed up DT box might be moved forward a little bit... straps in slightly different places... a little flatter deck... a little less nose... slight V under the bow... etc.
Anyway yes I agree, many of those top guys are using regular slalom race sails.
Oh well, gotta go... but there sure are lots of fun ways to enjoy all this Smile

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

photos on exocet-original shows foil boards answers to questions on this thread.

1. volume placement

2. foil position

http://www.exocet-original.com/en/rf-foil.php

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough one to pinpoint the answer.
I know the top US rider has ridden his long fusalage foil with his stock Isonic with success. But that is fall '17 info.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would classify the Naish foil as more of a freeride/wave foil. Since foils set up very similar to fins it only makes sense to me to match boards & rig setups to foils. If I took a slalom board with slalom rig & put a wave fin on it I can only imagine all kinds of wrong occurring with it so I see the same problems with a foil. The Pro's are using race foils with slalom boards so trying to set up a Naish foil in the same light as a Pro sets up his F4 foil with slalom board may not work out very well.

I think the Naish foil needs more inboard straps & mast track back with lower boom so you can be in more of an upright stance flying off your front foot instead of a hiked out stance driving off your back foot.

I have the Naish Hover 122 which is a dedicated foil board designed for the Naish Thrust foil. I felt the adjustability of the Naish foil track was the best & with the flat plate it allows the board to be much thinner. I believe the Sling shot also has adjustability by reversing the fuselage to get a similar effect of moving the foil forward or back.

I have an Isonic 110 that has very similar length & width dimension to the Naish Hover 122 but the similarities stop there. The Isonic has much wider footstraps & from the mast track to the middle of the fin bolt holes is between 42.5-48" on the Isonic. From the middle of the foil track on the Hover the mast track is 36-44". I started out with a slalom setup of high boom with the mast track at 42" on the Hover but had too much back foot pressure & was plowing the nose far too much. I have settled in to 38" with a boom down about 4" as a good setup form me while keeping the foil located in the middle of the foil track. The next thing I will fiddle with is the foil location & the last thing is the trim on the rear stableizer. I feel if I placed the Naish foil on my Isonic I would have to move the mast track all the way back and probably install new forward/inboard footstraps.

Coachg
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also have the Naish board and foil.
Seemed really easy with track middle, straps 3 forwards, and mast of foil almost fully back. 2nd day tried foil on power plate forwards on my 246 x 62 slalom board. Got up easily and dropped straight down as wind dropped to sub 5 and I never planed again and needed to swim in as wind dropped to zero.
Wind since has been plenty for 5.2 and bigger wave boards.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna start using a F-2 263x62 board for the Naish foil, an old 1999 Air. Much floatier than the 97 liter slalom and I can break it all I want. 115 liters.
Have no problem getting up once planing, but control after a few blocks gets harder as I constantly have to lower the trim of the nose. Winds 5 to 16.
Rear wing set nuetral, I want it harder to get up on the foil.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone with the Naish foil board tried the Naish foil on a wide board like the Exocet or JP?

I am considering the new Naish foil board that comes out this summer and I am wondering what changes I might feel vs. my wide JP 155.

The new Naish board is 236x77.5 142L. My JP 155 is 220x90 155L. The current Naish board is 229x73 122L. Exocet has an 230x81 and 230x91 board.

To be honest I was a little concerned about the smaller width of the Naish foil board. I read that you should start on 80 cm wide at least, and 90 cm is better, so that had me concerned about buying a board that was 73 cm wide. However, a lot of people seem to like it and the new board will be wider so I am very interested. At the time I pre-ordered the JP Board Naish did not have a windsurfing foil and board on the market so it made it an easy choice.

Any thoughts on the differences would be appreciated.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wider should plane up sooner, better for low breeze, heavier sailors, but once up..which meant planing in at least front straps, it's the foil area that counts.
Wider race foil, or narrower low aspect Naish, it's area that counts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: