myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Which 150L board for a heavyweight?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
11,8 is technically the easiest board to grab the smallest waves as far off the peak, or as early as i have ever ridden.

10' requires placing yourself a bit more critically, but in 15-25, with a 7.5 phantom, tat should be pretty easy. 30-34 cm fin for waves, base all the way back will wave and blast great.

tape up dagger gasket and put away dagger board.....

How well would the 10' work for me (250 lbs) in flat water / chop?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it won't be the fastest, nor the slowest. rides smooth in chop. stock fin is very excellent for blasting, not for waves.

i remember sailing a 4.7, well powered, on it with a 32 cm fin, just to see what it would do. lotsa fun for one board. gotta sew up up or tape up the dagger gasket. AND you may want to fill the gasket with a section of pool noodle type foam to make that section of board more rigid....

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
it won't be the fastest, nor the slowest. rides smooth in chop. stock fin is very excellent for blasting, not for waves.

And at 170 liters should be plenty of volume for me to uphaul if I should need to, right?

Quote:
gotta sew up up or tape up the dagger gasket. AND you may want to fill the gasket with a section of pool noodle type foam to make that section of board more rigid....

That's exactly what I did with the only board I ever owned that had a daggerboard (the Fanatic Ultra Bat). For as much as I used that board, I never used the daggerboard and never had any problem getting /staying up wind.

I'm really leaning towards getting that 10' WindSUP I saw the other day...
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I protest at this concerted movement to ridicule daggerboards. (Centreboards.) There is a world of difference between having no difficulty staying upwind, and quickly and efficiently beating upwind with centreboard down when unable to get planing.

Of course the majority of boards don't need centreboards because the majority of windsurfers use them for planing, surf, B and J, mowing the lawn. And the mantra nowadays is, don't try and windsurf in light offshore wind conditions.

Well those of us who have to use coasts with predominantly offshore winds would do precious little windsurfing if we listened to such nonsense. Efficiently being able to beat upwind in sub planing (half of the time) breezes is precisely why longboards have centreboards.In such conditions there are many times when a kicked down centreboard can get you speedily to a particular spot when off the plane, ready to play about in the surf. And what the hell difference does it make after you've kicked it back up? A liitle extra weight? Big deal!

But apart from the modern 'don't go out in iffy offshore winds' mantra, most now don't even go out at all unless the wind is guaranteed planing strength.

Impossible to have fun on a windsurf board in light offshore winds? Really?????
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gurgle, sailed cross offshore yesterday. that's when wave sailing is best.

in the past, i have sailed up to 60 degrees offshore very successfully with 11,5 board. again, wind and waves' forces combine for lotsa horsepower on wave ride.

BTW, typically the best riding and photography is when wind is somewhat cross offshore.

GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully agree John, and cross off is one of our favourite surf conditions, But I was really trying to make a different point.

In the course of many cruises, especially around islands with headlands and tide races, and variable winds off the mountains, I've often come across 'magical' (to me) unexpected places in which to play for a while. Even a simple thing like a narrowish channel through which a tide race is flowing can produce half an hours fighting struggle just to beat up against it just for the hell of it. (One fluffed tack, and you sweep back 10 minutes worth of hard won progress.)

All I'm saying is that in circling unknown areas windsurfing can be full of pleasant surprises, and an efficient longboard and centreboard is key to relatively easily getting through the 'blocking light headwind stretches to reach that Pandoras Box of new delights.

Anyone who thinks their superior skill in beating upwind in those sub planing areas with no need for a centreboard really ought to join the racing circuit and show all those dedicated Phantom users how it should be done! (I rather think they would wish they hadn't bothered!! Laughing Laughing )
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Gurge - Point well taken. For 99% of my sailing I only need to get upwind enough to return to where I launched from. Or, worst case scenario, make it upwind enough to fight some current and return to where I started from. For my kind of sailing the centerboard is more of an inconvenience than an aid.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this centerboard talk is giving me a rash.

-Craig
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One sincerely apologises for unwittingly causing such extreme distress in a fellow windsurfer. May I humbly suggest that a decent dollop of genuine briny (as distinct that watery river stuff) up your hooter, may perhaps go a little way to alleviating your rare condition, which would seem to be some kind of aversion to a blade of moulded plastic. (Wonder what past trauma gave rise to such an odd affliction.)

But you'll be cheered to know that I once laboured in shaping a very nice wooden blade for an old and cherished longboard, which snapped when well out
to sea, thus forcing me to join your ranks of real windsurfers, by beating back in without assistance.

So you see, one of us can be quite normal, at times!

Yours faithfully etc.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

highlarious!

all in good fun.

that's what WTF really means, right? WHERE'S THE FUN.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: