myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Anybody quit kiteboarding to go back to windsurfing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottybda

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are coming to windsurf would say avoid mid to late June until late September as the wind is pretty light. however the weather is also warmer, perhaps too much so in July, August though tourists like it then. I'd say my favourite months are April, May, June ---- October, November
jfeehan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottybda wrote:
hey that is cool!

Do you sail with a local crew on the IOD's or are part of a team that comes down to man one? I sail out of Spanish Point so possible we've crossed paths.

Yes Island Winds would have a variety from beginner to advanced kit in Ezzy/NP/JP/Starboard in top condition. I use them for when I get my new gear.

when i go to sail IOD's i am on a team from the US - I have been both skipper and crew. In the invitational regatta in may, i crewed on a nantucket team, and will be on a (different) nantucket team again in november.

I've done the IOD world's there as skipper and crew.., and same for the invitational race week - which is now split between spring and fall.., although it seems that IOD's are racing in both...

anyway, i'll be there Nov. 14. Racing goes through the 18th, but if it looks windy i might try to stay and rent gear from Island winds.
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottybda wrote:
If you are coming to windsurf would say avoid mid to late June until late September as the wind is pretty light. however the weather is also warmer, perhaps too much so in July, August though tourists like it then. I'd say my favourite months are April, May, June ---- October, November

What are the water temps during those months? Bermuda and NC are roughly the same latitude, so are the water temps about the same as here? Or is it warmer there?

Incidentally, back on topic, I had two kiteboarding sessions this past week. First went really well. My first in over a year and everything seemed to just come together. The second, not so well. Within an hour I had two "kitemares". Both largely due to me being rusty at this but the outcome could have been really bad had I not been lucky. The events of this week have motivated me even more to get back into windsurfing. Smile
rollerrider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

November is good! Better than spring imo. Warmer water. Some weeds but wave fins work. Canadian hole is the most convenient and works with NE. Also other windsurfers will be there. Avon has lots of rental homes. Depending on how long you stay usually there is about 2 sessions a week. NE can blow for 3 days.
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollerrider wrote:
November is good! Better than spring imo. Warmer water. Some weeds but wave fins work. Canadian hole is the most convenient and works with NE. Also other windsurfers will be there. Avon has lots of rental homes. Depending on how long you stay usually there is about 2 sessions a week. NE can blow for 3 days.

FWIW I was asking about Bermuda! Wink

How much warmer is it on Bermuda than here in North Carolina? We're at about the same Latitude, but my understanding that being offshore Bermuda tends to be several degrees warmer. True?
mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bermuda air and water temps are noticeably warmer than NC in the Fall/ Winter. Due to the proximity of the Gulf Stream, Bda stays mild with ocean temps rarely dropping below the low 60s.
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
Bermuda air and water temps are noticeably warmer than NC in the Fall/ Winter. Due to the proximity of the Gulf Stream, Bda stays mild with ocean temps rarely dropping below the low 60s.

Nice!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: