myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Does the board help make the jibe
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StillSailin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Does the board help make the jibe Reply with quote

I've been sailing for years (never mind how many). After watching me miss a bunch of jibes, a fellow (a very good sailor and kiter) said that Mistral flow is junk to jibe. Some days I make a bunch, occasionally some nice ones. I tried an Open Ocean with thrusters few weeks back and voila some nice jibes. Coincidence? Wondering if it makes a difference to get a Real Wind or Open Ocean with thrusters or some other easier sailing board. I've had great times on the flow, at times just rippin.
I'd say I'm an advanced intermediate. Sail an 85 and 103 flow at Stevensons. Thanks for any suggestions
philodog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a smaller , narrower outline board is going to be easier to jibe. But the downside is it takes more oomph to get them going and will fall off a plane faster during jibes and when the wind backs off. If you`re enjoying the Flows (fine jibing boards in my opinion) working on jibing technique will pay more in dividends in the long run. That being said, old glass boards are so cheap, or free, you might as well try one. FYI I don`t think the Realwinds are very easy carvers.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flows jibe GREAT, almost like a modern freewide board, so that is not the problem.
Choosing when and where to jibe might be your problem. Look for smooth water downwind where you're going, bank off a windswell face, and try to carve in the smooth water, not the refraction chop.
A tri fin board might jibe OK due to it's slower speed, so you are in control. However, most planing jibes need good boardspeed, so a Flow is just fine.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the average recreational sailor learning to jibe, the board matters a TON. But as Zirt said, the Flow jibes fine. Some people argue that we should learn to jibe on HORRIBLE jibers because if we can jibe them, everything else is a piece of cake. Considering how many otherwise very good sailors still can't plane through a jibe after decades of WSing, that's ridiculous. Google Mike Fick's Jibe Tips and see if this approach helps you as much as it did me and many others.

Mike Fick \m/
wmike

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Google Mike Fick's Jibe Tips and see if this approach helps you as much as it did me and many others.

Mike Fick \m/

Tried that and got this: http://www.stormchasers.org.za/tips/mikefickgybe.html
Which does not work. Perhaps Isobar, you should try the google and show us what you get. Tired of getting broken links to old old stuff.
ldhr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bend your knees.
Stay centered.
When you crash I'm guessing you fall the same way every time?
Meditate about which way you fall and lean the other way.
Sometimes it's that easy to fix a problem.
kmf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go and purchase

The 12 step gybe By Dasher

http://www.sideoff.com/videos/inst_wsurf/12_step_jibe.html

Watch about 12 times, working on the various sections in order...

There are other gybe video's, all have merit. Put some time into checking them out.

KMF
StillSailin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Does the board help make the jibe Reply with quote

Great info! Thanks so much. Every little bit of info seems to help in this sport.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wmike wrote:
isobars wrote:
Google Mike Fick's Jibe Tips and see if this approach helps you as much as it did me and many others.

Tried that and got this: http://www.stormchasers.org.za/tips/mikefickgybe.html
Which does not work. Perhaps Isobar, you should try the google and show us what you get. Tired of getting broken links to old old stuff.

I always verify links I post. I clicked on the link you posted just now and instantly got my tutorial. But your comment is why I often just say, "Google whatever", so folks can choose their own source.

Googling Mike Fick's Jibe Tips gets me pages of links to my tutorial on websites on multiple continents, to discussions of it, and to thanks from people who benefited from it. As for its age, I re-read it occasionally to see whether it or I need to change something.

Not implying it's superior to the other 43(?) tutorials out there, but if even a piece of it helps someone, they win. BTW, its approach IS far superior to some of the tutorials published and to techniques I see by the hundreds on the water by highly experienced sailors.

I just read it again. I should add a paragraph on initiating the jibe in a beam reach, without bearing off first. That is one of at least two ways to handle highly overpowered jibes, and it REALLY tightens and shortens up the jibe. One heartbeat you're highly powered (or overpowered) on starboard, the next heartbeat you're sheeted in and accelerating on the new portside broad reach. It's a good way to stay upwind and to jibe in overpowering gusts or gnarly terrain that would otherwise discombobulate the more casual jiber.

Then there's the upwind jibe, so to speak, where one swerves sharply upwind, jibes instead of tacking, and keeps heading upwind. It began as a monster gust survival gimmick, but is also helpful when every upwind foot of ground is important AND there's plenty of wind for it.
kmf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also check out Jem Hall's web site, he gives a whole page of windsurf tips to watch....

http://www.jemhall.com/technique.html

The one on the carve gybe is here....

http://www.jemhall.com/technique/item/carve-gybe.html

I find his site an excellent resource.

Keith

See ya in Stevie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: