myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Starboard formula 162
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can always get longer screws for the tuttle type fins
GLAD yur likin the board !!!
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You move the base FORWARD and raise the boom to forehead heights. lengthen your harness lines and sail butt away from the rig. We mostly set the mast base 1" ahead of center, which is the "recommended" position.
I don't know how tall you are, so I can't recommend a boom height setting, but g/f is 5'6" and uses 55" from middle of boom to bottom of aluminum tube. I"m 5'10", mostly use 60" from middle of boom to bottom of the alunimum tube.
Smaller fin allows the nose to lift. 70 would crush the nose down and stick in any chop.
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I will try a higher boom and longer lines. I am around your hight 5' 9". Will probably invest in a 60 or so cm fin avetually. But I have to get used to the board obviously and get more time on it to find that magic setting.
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The higher boom and longer lines worked a lot. Boom was at the highest setting printed on the sleave, so "5". My arms were pritty strate when planing. Base was just in front of serial number and that seems to be the magic setting for me at least. Would like to get a bigger sail say 9 or 10m and try it. But for now the 7.5m works fine. Wind was around 13-20km and picking up this aft. Was doing a lot of reaching on the board since wind was light and pointing up wind when I was in a gust.
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you start working on the downwind runs, keep in mind that almost all formula sailors have adjustable outhaul lines. You want a somewhat flat sail on the upwind and a full/bagged sail on the downwind. A flat sail is really twitchy downwind and hard to control. A bagged sail is really stable.

Upwind, a bagged sail will get you slammed in the gusts. A flat sail is a lot more balanced.

Even if just reaching for fun, having the ability to adjust the outhaul on the fly makes it easier to stay on plane in the lulls or reduce power if it gets windier.
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, that seems like It could help especially on the down wind. I hate having to go back to shore to let out some out haul when I need more power also and vise versa. I Can't seem to go down wind well either, probebly because my sail is not bagged enough. Do adjustable outhauls fit on any boom. I use a Autima race 180-240 aluminum boom. What AO systems are the best/easiest to use.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atlas.wave55 wrote:
Yah, that seems like It could help especially on the down wind. I hate having to go back to shore to let out some out haul when I need more power also and vise versa. I Can't seem to go down wind well either, probebly because my sail is not bagged enough. Do adjustable outhauls fit on any boom. I use a Autima race 180-240 aluminum boom. What AO systems are the best/easiest to use.

I swear by the Sailworks system: www.sailworks.com/the-gear/lines/adjustable-outhaul-double-side.html

The dumping outhaul downwind is helpful for several reasons. If the board hits a piece of chop and slows down you want the sail to twist off and release the power at the top of the sail rather than pitch forward and throw you over the bars. Releasing outhaul tension moves the sails center of effort forward and rounds the sail's entry, thereby increasing power, control and directing the sail's lift into forward drive. A rounded entry helps reattach the airflow when jibing.

In contrast, upwind sailing requires almost the opposite. Less twist gives better drive upwind, a flatter draft that's farther back keeps the sail stable and the more narrow entry better aligns with the apparent wind angle when pointing.

techno900

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atlas,

If you really want to work on the downwind, you will get slammed and possibly damage the nose of the board. Some have glued foam (half a noodle) to the nose while learning.

If your board has a "chicken strap", a third back strap in the center of the board, it can be a lifesaver of you get into overpowering conditions. It's common to keep heading up in strong winds and get stuck upwind of where you want to be. The back foot in the chicken strap reduces the power/speed of the down wind runs and can get you back home again. It's amazing how it takes the stress out of a scary downwind run. Not great for racing because using the out board straps are much faster downwind.

The down side of adjustable outhauls is that if you use the boom for different sails, the outhaul may not be set right if you extend or shorten the boom. I have dedicated booms for my large sails with adjustable outhauls.
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not glued any protection on the nose, but I have a mast foot protector peice that I put a bit below the boom where the mast would slam. Have not really tested if it works any good, as I have been pritty good with not dropping the sail and having it slam, luckily!

I find that i like to go down wind in the out board straps when I'm not over powered becuse it is a lot faster, but do use the chicken strap when I'm over powered. Currently I have one boon for one sail. If I picked up a larger sail will problem need another boom anywase.
I love just reching on the formula in conditions when I'm not over powered. Even with the 70cm fin. Board goes down wind better then the f136 and the nose does not hit chop, but I keep the base ferther back.
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any formula sailors or light wind blasters can probably answer this question. I can sail from around 17 km to 35km on my ezzy infinity 7.5m sail with the f162. What sail size could get me down to the 11km or 6 knot range. Also What brands/models are best for getting you going in really light wind.

Last edited by atlas.wave55 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: