myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Wave Foiling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RUMREEFWARRIOR

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brynkaufman2 wrote:
Got out today on my 5.5. I did much better but had a couple issues maybe you could comment on.

One issue was I had a lot of spin outs. My foil is towards the back so I guess I am just putting too much force on the foil but I am surprised at how many times and how easy it spins out.

The 2nd issue is I find sometimes I get turned violently upwind and crash. Not sure if you experienced that when starting.

I am getting the hang of it and sometimes I was foiling comfortably with just one hand on the boom, so things are going the right direction.

I love how it just takes off on any size swell, although I am also having trouble keeping my speed under control. My max speed was 17 mph which is probably too fast for this foil, not sure. Once I have the push from the swell and just a tiny bit of wind in the sail the foil quickly picks up speed.

Any suggestions you have would be great. If I can get a bit more control more often this could be magic.

yup take the pressure off your back foot. these surf foils ride with mostly front foot pressure. that's why you need to take the straps off the board. I will move my front foot more forward the faster I go. and stand more up-right. just like your surfing.
Your used to freeride/race foils, they are all more rear foot bias.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I am going to remove the straps.

I am realizing their placement is setup for a race foil. Very outboard, very back foot, and that makes them challenging to use with this foil.

I like the idea of being able to move my feet around like you move your front foot forward.

I also think that is why I round up wind so much. I notice it too before I get going. I put one or both feet in the straps, and I really have to work hard not to go upwind.

I also read your blog post again and realized I have to flag the sail as soon as I catch the swell. Yesterday I was catching a swell, but then I was in the foot straps, I am in the harness line, and I just can't flag the sail so I end up going too fast.

There are a lot of old habits to unlearn and new ones to learn to properly sail with this type of foil.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed today without the back straps and was much more successful at staying in the air and in control.

However, I can't remove the front straps. Without them I can't carry the board. They are located way out on the edge, which is not really a good spot for this type of foiling.

This board is very wide to carrying it using the front strap and the foil is my only option.

I was pleased today that my 5.5 sail rigged for high wind worked when the wind was up and continued to work with some pumping action when the wind dropped. On my race foil I would have had to go up to a 7.5 to keep going when the wind dropped.

Flagging the sail out was key. While I am not 100% flagged out all the time, I am close to all the way flagged out a lot of the time, and by doing that it kept my speed under control.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Maliko foil is a lot of fun. I am feeling swells that I did not even know existed before.

I am out with a 5.5 in conditions that normally I could not sail in with my 7.5 sail. I am the only one out, a size 15 kite tried to join me and went right back to shore.

I am turning back and forth on the swells, it has a great carving sensation and turns really easy.

It turned a day where I normally could not sail into a day of extreme fun.

Thanks Casey for your blog post!
RUMREEFWARRIOR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://vimeo.com/243522731

fun little vid of me Windsurf Wave Foiling on a very crappy day condition wise. its still fun as shit. for more info https://reefwarriors.wordpress.com/2017/11/19/red-barron-vid/
gregnw44

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

< Flagging the sail out was key. While I am not 100% flagged out all the time, I am close to all the way flagged out a lot of the time, and by doing that it kept my speed under control. >

Do you mean "luffing"?
Luffing the sail, is when it's basically neutral... when there's basically no power in it... when you really sheet out, make it so there's basically no power, that's luffing the sail.

Correct me if I'm wrong... but that's the universal term, right?

Flagging, huh, where did that come from?
It's not in the instructors manual, or maybe I missed it, LOL

bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregnw44 wrote:

Do you mean "luffing"?

I’ve never heard the term “flagging” used either, but my interpretation is that it means the sail is 100% depowerd - weather vaned, producing zero lift (only drag) - just as a flag.

A sail which is luffing could still be producing power. For example, the jib on a sailboat could be eased to the point that the first 1/4 of the sail has collapsed but the last 3/4 of the sail is still generating lift. This sail sail would be considered to be luffing even though it is producing power.

So there are degrees of luffing, but the term “flagging” implies 100% of the sail is luffing. Again, this is just my interpretation based on the context of the thread.

sm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: