myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Time for the National Initiative
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Time for the National Initiative Reply with quote

So what is the National Initiative?
National initiative refers to a process that allows for an initiative to be petitioned at the federal level in the United States and, thus, would require a national vote on the national ballot measure. Initiatives in the United States (direct and/or indirect ones) are currently only possible as state measures in some states. In other words, we have no federal propositions on our ballots.

I say this for two reasons, two things that need to be done, and left to both houses of congress, and both parties, they will never get it done.

The first one, Term limits, they will never pass it on their own because of financial reasons, the main one being their retirement, the longer they are in there, the more retirement they get. As a result we have lifers in there that have been in the DC bubble so long that they have lost touch of their own constituency. That is not representation.

The second one, members of both houses have to abide by the same laws they make us abide by. The first one that comes to mind is Obamacare, they should all be required to have Obamacare, no special treatment available to them only, just like us schlubs don't have, the same schlubs who vote them in. I'm sure John McCain didn't go to the VA for his cancer treatment, in fact he'd probably never go near one of those places.

So for now we are stuck with the elite bastards, of both parties, who govern our lives with little regards on how it will effect them. And unfortunately the "throw all the bastards out" strategy won't work, never has, never will.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW

I thought that under the ACA, members of Congress were required to purchase insurance on the exchanges and could no longer get the Federal Employees insurance.

The problem with national initiatives like we have at the state level in Colorado is the laws are sometimes poorly written and often don't meet legal standards and are not upheld by courts.

Agree on term limits. The President is limited, why not Senators and Representatives? Many states have term limits.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, we have the potential for term limits in our regular elections. That's every two years for members of the House of Representatives, and every six years for the Senate. Speaking for myself, I'm firmly against term limits.

In my view, the real problem is campaign money, and the huge influences it has on everything during and after election cycles. Term limits does nothing at all to change the problem, and I believe that it arguably worsens it even more. Money buys untoward influence, and with the Citizens United decision opening the door to unlimited corporate campaign contributions, the problem is only getting worse. What we really need is significant campaign finance reform.
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrightythen, throw in "significant campaign finance reform" in there as well, but for that to happen don't count on both houses to accomplish it.
It's another thing that could be added to the list.

But I have term limits as #1 on my list, and it should remain there. That old line of elections handle it doesn't work, the old entrenched dry rot wood remains.
"Yeah, but not my representative", yeah, your representative also, most likely, and it applies to both parties.
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
NW

I thought that under the ACA, members of Congress were required to purchase insurance on the exchanges and could no longer get the Federal Employees insurance.

"Activists including Heritage Action, the political arm of the conservative Heritage Foundation, have proposed that Mr. Trump’s administration change a rule promulgated by the Office of Personnel Management during the Obama administration that allows members of Congress and their staff to obtain subsidized insurance alongside other Washington, D.C., small businesses.
That rule has been the subject of significant contention for years, with some lawmakers contending that it is an end-run around a provision in the 2010 health law that requires members of Congress to get their health coverage like other Americans. Lawmakers and their aides get a hefty subsidy from their employer—Congress—when they buy coverage through the D.C. online insurance exchange, which critics contend is unique to them. Defenders of the rule argue that the provision was never intended to force members of Congress or their aides to lose the employer-sponsored health benefits that many people get on the job."

For the rest~
https://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trump-threatens-to-cancel-some-health-care-benefits-for-lawmakers-1501352607
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone wants term limits. I wonder what's holding it up.....😠
mac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only fools who know nothing about what government does, and how difficult it is, are enamored with term limits. For years, California had senior legislators that took an interest in subjects like highways and water supply. They, and their staff, developed an expertise, and crafted politically viable solutions that supported construction of roads and water supply projects that created wealth in California. Similar expertise was needed to craft air quality programs, parks programs, and so forth.

Term limits was brought to California by a conservative Los Angeles County supervisor who wanted to destroy the power of staff expertise and empower lobbyists. The initial programs were terrible--legislators spent all of their time looking for their next job instead of developing expertise--and the term limits have been dramatically altered.

Part of the GOP war on science and knowledge. Not surprising that Malibu and NW bit on this false premise. They're all in in further dumbing down public policy--they both support a POTUS with a third grade vocabulary and a the temper and restraint of a two year old.
nw30

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac we know you just want Barbara Lee in there for ever and ever.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
mac we know you just want Barbara Lee in there for ever and ever.

And his rep, Nancy Lugosi Pelosi.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW...you could solve most of your issues with campaign finance reform... Term limits for sure..senate-3 -6 year terms, and house 6 2-year terms..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: