myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfers Harassing Whales at Crissy?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fxop

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Windsurfers Harassing Whales at Crissy? Reply with quote

In a video shown on the local NBC station, at 1:30 3 windsurfers briefly bracket some whales. National Marine Sanctuary calls it "definite harassment". They want 100 yds clearance. Awkward to give up that much headway. Also shown is an outboard motor boat T-boning a whale.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/San-Francisco-Bay-Humpback-Whales-Humans-Strikes-Concerns-431872323.html

fxop
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that idiot thinks windsurfers want to be anywhere near breaching whales he's a fool.....or the windsurfers are. I assume like me, they want to get out of their way. I've hit a jumping dolphin and that is really bad. Think about hitting a whale. You would be broken at best.
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it's a kiter that hits one.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kiteboarder narrowly avoids injury after smashing into a HUMPBACK WHALE while dashing across the the Californian coastline

>Andrei Grigoriev was kiteboarding near Crissy Field Beach in California recently
>He was filming his spin across the bay when he struck a large under water object
>Grigoriev was stunned when he saw the object was a large humback whale 
He said hitting the whale was completely accidental and absolutely 'crazy'  

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4667004/Kiteboarder-hits-HUMPBACK-WHALE-Californian-coast.html#ixzz4lyexBrRo
beallmd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humpbacks are 45 to 50 feet and weigh 66,000 pounds. Similar headlines would be, flies harassing giraffes, ants harassing elephants etc.
andydavis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuGuru wrote:
If that idiot thinks windsurfers want to be anywhere near breaching whales he's a fool...

If I see something like that, I just stay the f!ck away. I've had those things breech right next to me in the fog, and blow their bad breath all over the boat, which is terrifying. (...admittedly, I am easily terrified)
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Windsurfers Harassing Whales at Crissy? Reply with quote

They are actually very right, it was my first reaction when I saw that video ... it is normal to wanting to get closer, they are an amazing sight, but you are not supposed to encircle whales to take your stupid videos ...
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say, stay at least 1/4 mile a way, or one city block, the long ones around 660 feet.
Sure, you're not going to kill a whale by getting closer, but you are disturbing their natural patterns concerning protecting their young, and you are invading their space. THEIR space, not yours.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whales have been out in force at Crissy the last couple years and especially this year. In the scheme of things, I think large ocean going container ships and oil tankers that cruise through this part of the bay are a lot more of a threat to the safety of these whales than a handful of windsurfers or kiters. I'd suggest leaving the indignation elsewhere.
loopless

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigatoni wrote:
The whales have been out in force at Crissy the last couple years and especially this year. In the scheme of things, I think large ocean going container ships and oil tankers that cruise through this part of the bay are a lot more of a threat to the safety of these whales than a handful of windsurfers or kiters. I'd suggest leaving the indignation elsewhere.

Well said. The treatment of large marine mammals as snowflakes that will melt if you go near them on a windsurfer is faintly ridiculous. They pose more of an accidental threat to the windsurfers who just happened to be in the same space at the same time.
beallmd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On second thought, kiters should stay away, like say Alameda might be good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: