myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Exocet windsup 11'8?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qwertyjjj

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Exocet windsup 11'8? Reply with quote

I'm 90kg, 6ft, mainly sail on lakes sometimes with chop. I already have a Starboard Go 161litre, which I find ok in slightly stronger winds, 15-20kts and a small sail but not very good in lighter winds.
I also had an exocet windsup 11'8 recommended to me recently.
Are these any good for a beginner progressing intermediate? I hear they can plane so might be good for the future but I also saw that this was probably only with 8 oh sails and above...

Would a smaller version of the exocet be better?
I could just buy an old used longboard with dagger but then it'll be a bit too thin.
Any others?
I don't want to buy a board that then gets no use in the future...
or a Bic Soft tec 10'6 - considerably cheaper but not that much bigger in terms of litres
B737

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are the same weight and size, i think your boards are a way too big, and prob too entry level for where you are headed.

for light winds sailing 13-15 knots, 7.0 - 8.5 on a 145 liter board that is within the last 3 generations of board design, should be excellent for learning, and carry you into more intermediate stuff.

for medium winds, I think something around 115L for 7.0 down to 5.0

once i progressed through the breaking stuff phase, i bit the bullet and purchased two new boards and the progression and enjoyment increased exponentially (145 fanatic shark and 113 fanatic eagle). if you're getting into foot straps, its time. the larger modern board will really hone in your basics with ease. the smaller board will keep you challenged and allow you to progress. you'll have them for years to come, a newer board will help you learn and still fit as you progress, unlike a "go" or "start".

just my opinion, im not an instructor or expert by any means.

Fanatic Freewave 95l 240cm

Last edited by B737 on Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
qwertyjjj

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B737 wrote:
we are the same weight and size, i think your boards are a way too big, and prob too entry level for where you are headed.

for light winds sailing 13-15 knots, 7.0 - 8.5 on a 145 liter board that is within the last 3 generations of board design, should be excellent for learning, and carry you into more intermediate stuff.

for medium winds, I think something around 110L for 7.0 down to 5.0

once i progressed through the breaking stuff phase, i bit the bullet and purchased two new boards and the progression and enjoyment increased exponentially (145 fanatic shark and 110 fanatic eagle). if you're getting into foot straps, its time. the larger modern board will really hone in your basics with ease. the smaller board will keep you challenged and allow you to progress. you'll have them for years to come, a newer board will help you learn and still fit as you progress, unlike a "go" or "start".

just my opinion, im not an instructor or expert by any means.

7.0-8.5 is probably too big a sail for a beginner/int. You have to remember, I'm spending a lot of my time uphauling Smile
I guess wide is the main thing, balance is always an issue at this stage. Won't the Go be good for planing later on?
akrausz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old are you? In my humble opinion, the 161 was an excellent first board choice. The 11'8" is excellent too, but different...glides better in sub-planing conditions, is very versatile and more popular with people with grey hair. Putting a small sail on either is only for the very early stages of learning...or higher wind. The 161 will plane just fine, but the manufacturer recommends using 7.0 and up sails. Assuming your small sail is less than 6.0, you need a bigger rig for it. All of us have a quiver of sails, masts and booms, depending on wind strength. Go to Jim's excellent sail size calculator and plug in your weight:

http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2010/11/updated-windsurf-calculator-online.html

That will give you a starting point for what you need to plane. You're right, you don't want to jump up in sail size too fast as a beginner. Perhaps multiply your current sail size by 1.25.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm similar weight, learned on a similar sized board and didn't progress until I committed to a 7.5m or 9.5m for most of my sailing.
The Go really needs 7-10m to get going. Once you can use a sub-6m sail then it's too much board. Which isn't saying that you can't sail it, just that it may rid a little rough and you will be holding the speed back.

Are you comfortable blasting in the footstraps? If not then the Go isn't too big yet.
qwertyjjj

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

akrausz wrote:
How old are you? In my humble opinion, the 161 was an excellent first board choice. The 11'8" is excellent too, but different...glides better in sub-planing conditions, is very versatile and more popular with people with grey hair. Putting a small sail on either is only for the very early stages of learning...or higher wind. The 161 will plane just fine, but the manufacturer recommends using 7.0 and up sails. Assuming your small sail is less than 6.0, you need a bigger rig for it. All of us have a quiver of sails, masts and booms, depending on wind strength. Go to Jim's excellent sail size calculator and plug in your weight:

http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2010/11/updated-windsurf-calculator-online.html

That will give you a starting point for what you need to plane. You're right, you don't want to jump up in sail size too fast as a beginner. Perhaps multiply your current sail size by 1.25.

Around 40!
I have a 5.0, 6.5, 7.5, 8.5. I really only use the 6.5 and 5.0 right now for learning but I got the others on a good deal for later.
The instructor usually has me on a 5.7 or 5.9. Am I missing a sail? Smile Don;t say yes, I'm a gear whore.

The 11'8 has my interest but it's insanely expensive.

grantmac017 wrote:
I'm similar weight, learned on a similar sized board and didn't progress until I committed to a 7.5m or 9.5m for most of my sailing.
The Go really needs 7-10m to get going. Once you can use a sub-6m sail then it's too much board. Which isn't saying that you can't sail it, just that it may rid a little rough and you will be holding the speed back.

Are you comfortable blasting in the footstraps? If not then the Go isn't too big yet.

Not yet in the footstraps.

My main issue with the Go is the lack of daggerboard and I do a lot of my days on lakes, light wind, gusts, etc.
It has a centerfin that I can put in but it's fixed until I can unscrew it on the beach. Maybe I should just leave it in for now.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There comes a point where you need to decide if you care more about keeping it easy or making progress.

How long have you been sailing and how often do you go?
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Go 161 is an 85+ cm wide board and will schlogg when in light winds.
(under 15 knots)
if you use a "smaller" sail in 15+ winds - try the 8.5 in less wind ?
the HiFly Madd 138/72 that you have or had may go better in lighter winds
with an 8.5 on that board it would do better than the GO in 12-15 knots
as you know - for me - the longboard is my GOto board
with an 8.5 it can be fun in 20-50 km winds and in more wind with my 7-oh
there are times Sylvain , the kite foiler, and I are the only ones out @ OKA in light, light winds
qwertyjjj

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
There comes a point where you need to decide if you care more about keeping it easy or making progress.

How long have you been sailing and how often do you go?

Definitely want to progress.
Sailed small boats a lot when younger so wind direction note an issue.
I go windsurfing once a week. Usual wind is 10-12kts occasionally work stronger gusts and occasionally with stronger sessions 15-20kts.
akrausz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't familiar with the center fin, so I looked it up on the the manufacturer's website. Curious why you don't use it, as it appears to be designed for learning.

With shortboards, like your 161, the difference between planing and not planing is everything. Not planing on a shortboard, or shlogging, equates to not enough wind and not enough fun. In 10-12 you won't plane, ever, as a beginner. But you can practice going out, looking for some gusts, getting in the harness, not falling, turning, coming back, etc.

Yes, the 11'8", or any big longboard will be much more suited to subplaning conditions. Either way, the sooner you move up to your 7.5, the better.

Last edited by akrausz on Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: