myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Exocet windsup 11'8?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qwertyjjj

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

akrausz wrote:
Wasn't familiar with the center fin, so I looked it up on the the manufacturer's website. Curious why you don't use it, as it appears to be designed for learning.

With shortboards, like your 161, the difference between planing and not planing is everything. Not planing on a shortboard, or schlogging, equates to not enough wind and not enough fun. In 10-12 you won't plane, ever, as a beginner. But you can practice going out, looking for some gusts, getting in the harness, not falling, turning, coming back, etc.

Yes, the 11'8", or any big longboard will be much more suited to subplaning conditions. Either way, you will have to progress your up way up to your bigger sails.

So, basically carry on on the 161 in light winds? No need to spend money on a longboard / sup?
What I'm worried about is going out without center fin in stronger winds and then the wind dieing down and not being able to travel upwind again since I don't have a dagger to put down.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qwertyjjj wrote:
grantmac017 wrote:
There comes a point where you need to decide if you care more about keeping it easy or making progress.

How long have you been sailing and how often do you go?

Definitely want to progress.
Sailed small boats a lot when younger so wind direction note an issue.
I go windsurfing once a week. Usual wind is 10-12kts occasionally work stronger gusts and occasionally with stronger sessions 15-20kts.

How long have you been windsurfing?

In those conditions I'd never be on less than a 7m, mostly +8.5m.
akrausz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, the 161 will work. Often I like to go immediately up wind, so that it's easier to get back regardless of whether the wind is up or down. You can shlog back up wind with your 161, it just takes patience and practice.

If the wind is usually 10-12, consider your target once you advance to planing, harness, footstraps and waterstarts. Longboarding, formula/slalom, and now foiling, are all viable in 10-12, yet all quite different. There is plenty of information to read. Longboarding is an easy, reliable and versatile way to get around the lake in 10-12, but most will say it's the least thrilling.

Last edited by akrausz on Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:19 am; edited 2 times in total
AG80

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Exocet or any other longboard such as the Kona would work well in your conditions. Very versatile boards and you will not outgrow the board. You could put your 6.5m sail on the board and sail from 5-20 mph winds, going from subplaning glide to planing. Use the larger sails when you feel comfortable. Learn how to use the dagger, how to use the footstraps and planning with the same board. In addition, works well in the waves and as a SUP. I think these type of boards are great for gusty lake conditions.

Use the Go to develop your shortboard skills and in consistent planing winds. As you improve, you may want a smaller shortboard.

I sail in similar conditions and have always had a longboard in my quiver.
qwertyjjj

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

How long have you been windsurfing?

In those conditions I'd never be on less than a 7m, mostly +8.5m.

Some when I was younger but maybe only 5 days since I restarted last year so far Smile
Can tack and gybe (maybe 50% of the time).
Can't have a 7 on yet as it's tiring uphauling constantly.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to progress then rig to plane and forget about keeping it easy.

Or get a KonaOne.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kona one is a bit more technical in cornering than the 11'8".

both are life long boards for most venues around the world.

in a lake, i can't think of a better board to progress with than the 11'8"

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
qwertyjjj

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
kona one is a bit more technical in cornering than the 11'8".

both are life long boards for most venues around the world.

in a lake, i can't think of a better board to progress with than the 11'8"

We sometimes get a lot of chop on the lake when the wind comes from the North. Is it a good board for that also?
I guess I just don't understand when you swap from longboard to shortboard, is it only when the winds are stronger? I can use my 161 Go with a center fin but is it best not to in light winds 8-13kts?
Disadvantage is the price of the Exocet, I'm just wondering what exra advantages it will bring over my "medium" sized shortboard.
B737

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forget about center board, if you want to progress you dont need it, you will sail just fine without one.

you need smaller, wider, modern board. one that will be easy to manage and sail with you when you are planing in the foot straps. Easy to hold down.

i cant see how a 12 foot SUP board will accomplish progressing other than for sail handling in very light winds. the Go you have right now should be your biggest board.

grantmac017 wrote:
I'm similar weight, learned on a similar sized board and didn't progress until I committed to a 7.5m or 9.5m for most of my sailing.
The Go really needs 7-10m to get going. Once you can use a sub-6m sail then it's too much board.
Are you comfortable blasting in the footstraps? If not then the Go isn't too big yet.

this ^^

Fanatic Freewave 95l 240cm
Windnc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Exocet Wind-SUP 11-8 Reply with quote

I have been windsurfing over 30 years in all kinds of venues from high wind blasting to ocean wave sailing etc. As much as I love short boarding my Exocet Wind-SUP is likely the most versatile boards I have ever owned!!

It is great for teaching windsurfing, stable and easy to sail. I have introduced several dozen friends and family to Stand Up Paddleboarding on it due to its stabilty and easy paddling for beginners. I have taken kids and adults for windsurfing rides on it just having them sit in front of the mast or standing up. With smaller kids you can hook on a second boom at the bottom of the sail cut out for them to hold onto while standing in front of you holding onto the lower boom. I have towed kids and adults on an Inflateable SUP behind it as well.
For light wind ocean sailing It is really fun! Coupled with a big wave sail like the Aerotech Phantom 7.5 or 6.8 it easily rides out over the breaking surf taking the stress out of getting out in light winds.

Once out it is really fun to kick the daggerboars down, sail way up wind, kick the dagger back up and then just blast downwind in the straps on deep broad reach runs riding swells on the outside and waves coming back in. Or you can just take the dagger out and sail back and forth just ocean cruising, sub or fully planing in the straps and riding small waves in. The board still motors up wind pretty well too without the dagger.
On flat water with the stock longer fin mounted on the board is super easy to sail, a fun light wind or higher wind blasting around board well suited to helping advanced beginners learn more skills to transition to shorter boards. I also enjoy just cruising around on it for flat water eco-touring or even planing around with my 9.0

I also find for sup paddling the board is faster than you would think for it's size and keeps up well with most all around paddle boards made for both flat water ocean paddlesurfing. Thanks as well to its surfboard shape it is a fun and easy bay or ocean downwinder.

It is a big and heavy board but once in the water it's light wind sailing and paddling versatility make it super fun to ride.

Chuck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: