myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foiling Injury
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darbonne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Foiling Injury Reply with quote

There is a picture circulating on FB of a mangled foot said to be a foiling injury. Not sure if it was a freak accident of there is an increased risk for injury while foiling. Obviously foils have a lot more edges than regular fins. Don't click the link if you are squeamish.

https://www.facebook.com/worldofwindsurf/photos/a.107610682595294.10761.107073829315646/1486290521393963/?type=3&theater
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For most sailors, foiling is a light wind sport, so there should be little panic and scrambling of the feet to quickly waterstart, plus foiler's should be aware there's lots of stuff under the board.
With that huge mast afoot, waterstarting should be easier than ever even in the lightest of breezes (under 8mph), and most boards are big enough to uphaul without major hassles.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like today is foil injury day on FB. Don't know the details. Keep some distance might be a good idea.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153532959462131&set=a.10150269436987131.322743.695237130&type=3&theater
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
For most sailors, foiling is a light wind sport, so there should be little panic and scrambling of the feet to quickly waterstart, plus foiler's should be aware there's lots of stuff under the board.
With that huge mast afoot, waterstarting should be easier than ever even in the lightest of breezes (under 8mph), and most boards are big enough to uphaul without major hassles.

I agree... and there is lots of safety info out there for newbie windfoiler's. I have been following all of it that I thought was applicable to me. I've had a number of lightwind outing's now, without a scratch. Of course, I'm mostly slogging... but I've also had lots of short and long foil rides... and some porpoising... and lot of fast "foil planing" (we're calling it up here). Also had lots of "foil-outs" but 99% don't end up falling in the water, usually just gentle "splash-downs". And I've actually crashed into the water maybe 4 times... but again, no drama. They are like when someone is learning planning and getting in footstraps... you're not going super fast, but you lose your balance and fall in. That's how my few windfoil falls have been. No drama, no big deal. Things might change when I get some wind and go faster... but I hope to have some "flight control" by then Smile

dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're lucky you sail in a light steady wind area.
I sail in Berkeley, the lightest of all the Bay Area windsurfing spots, but it can get quite a handful for foiler's when the wind is windsurfable.
Take today....15-23 mph breeze with heavy close chop. I'm on a 5.2 and 78 liter bump board, Foilers on Formula board and 5.7's.
I took off from the dock at the same time as 3 of the best foiler's did, we all got planing (them foiling), about 50 feet off the end of the dock. I'm heading downwind on a broach reach, pumping and not in the straps. They're heading UPWIND, foiling and IN the straps. We leave each other at about 90 degree angles, them at Formula angles, me at freeride angle. I'm going much faster, they're going much higher upwnd.
For sure, they could be using a 4.7 sail. But they're riding 160 liter Formula boards, while I"m on a 78 liter Roque Wave bump board.
Our sailing season never get's to light 12 mph breezes, as when transition season is upon us, the winds for from 12 to opposite direction in an instant.
skyking1231

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok...i didin't need to see that first picture. I don't know....something seems BS about the photos....(not everything yousee on the net is real)
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me or does going for a light wind, hard kicking waterstart on a board you can easily uphaul just seem like a bit of hubris?
hilton08

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it says both of those injuries occurred in the shorebreak, i.e. the force of a breaking wave slammed the foil into the body.
Regardless, some wings (like fins) are sharper than others and it is smart to choose one with blunt or rounded ends.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, some rider skill, knowledge and caution needs to be applied.
I've seen some stupid things windsurfing for 33 years, including friends jumping and slamming into the back of Blue@Gold tour boats, and injuries windsurfing can easily be had when lack of common sense or knowledge get's added the a sport where you're practically naked and moving at 28 mph.
I've mentioned I windsurf where at least 8 other windsurf foiler's are rigging and launching, so I've seen some, and heard lots of stories.
I think, if you person converting to foiling is smart, somewhat conservative, and a decent windsurfer, then foiling is a viable option for light wind fun. There is hardly more danger than learning to windsurf, but there IS more, since the foil adds another dimension to the equation, besides the height of the ride.
For gusty winds, stick with windsurfing, unless you have skill foiling.
For learning, find smoother waters and clear wind upwind of you.
And ALWAYS, use a small enough sail that you have to PUMP to get planing on the board, which is plenty for foiling.
Once you're expert, use what you want.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the story on the first photo was that the guy was launching and got caught in the shore break, which flipped the board over and the foil attacked his foot.
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: