myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
My experience with a Bic/Ker foil (big buy )
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cite examples, but have little understanding what it takes to be fast.
If you believe a sub 120 lbs. person can be fast, YOU are slow.
A lightweight planes while everyone else might be struggling.
Practice time accounts for lots. Big guys get less practice.
Really big guys get even less practice.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And rereading Boards...post, he has no idea what it takes to go fast day after day.
He questions Coachg, from a position of ignorance.
Instead of reading about and regurgitating, try being the fastest person on the water.
You will then KNOW why chop affects big people less and why being around 185lbs and 6'2" is an advantage starting point.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There goes dllee, twisting everything again. He started by stating that a 215 lb guy is significantly lighter than Antoine Albeau and "all speedsurfers". When proven wrong, he goes on to insulting.
dllee wrote:
If you believe a sub 120 lbs. person can be fast, YOU are slow.

It's not a matter of believing, it's a matter of seeing. There are times where a sub-120 lb person is as fast or faster than anyone else sailing at Kalmus (and that's when everyone else has plenty of wind to plane). The same person has actually placed top-3 in a GPS event - and that was before she got her Blast. Of course, you can simply call everyone here slow.

Sure, I'm not really fast, my top speed is only 37.6 knots. But I'm fast enough to be ranked #2 in the GPS Team Challenge ranking for the US overall, and #5 for top speed. Last time I raced at the ECWF Hatteras, I finished 3rd among 30-40 competitors (both on longboards and on slalom gear). But I've also sailed against PWA-level sailors who'd go several knots faster on exactly the same gear, and I don't particularly like sailing slalom gear in heavy chop, so I know my limitations.
dllee wrote:
He questions Coachg, from a position of ignorance.
Instead of reading about and regurgitating, try being the fastest person on the water.

Seems to me you are quite the expert on ignorance. You're also an expert at making false claims that are very easy to disprove. When someone does show your statements are wrong (and provides links that prove it), you insult them. That's very fashionable of right now. Seems clear who your idol is.

Since I started using a GPS in 2009, I have tracked more than 1300 sessions. I happen to also like learning new things (for example at ABK camps) and various different ways of windsurfing (including old school freestyle and longboarding), so only about 10 or 20% of them are speed sessions. The place I sail the most, Kalmus, happens to be quite choppy on a windy day, so I happen to have a decent understanding of chop. Other good windsurfers have come to me after a typical 25 mph+ day with voodoo chop and asked how I managed to sail a big freestyle board in these conditions. The answer is technique, not body weight (they weigh about the same as I do). The local windsurfer who appears to be least affected by the chop happens to be a 140 lb woman who only sails an 89 l freestyle board (which is quite big compared to her weight when it's blowing). She's one of the best local windsurfers, with plenty of competition wins (including OBX Long Distance and US National titles) under her belt. It's technique, not body weight.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post. With something lacking so far by others, facts.
I do recall that someone on a actual speed record run wore a weight vest.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta say, pure bs the above posts.
Any speed event, big boyz rule. Yes, one or two normal sized guys sneak into top half, but are exceptions.
Fast girls weigh in around 140+, and add weight from there.
Just look at PWA women's racing lineup.
Now, some clarity...winds over 30 consistent, really heavy rulws..225 and over, and 250+ favored, but skill wins out.
20-30 favors 175-230.
15-25 favors 150-220.
12-20 favors the above with luck getting the best gusts coinciding with the right eq counting most.
As to particulars like light sailors and 2nd fastest...yes, it happens, rarely, and are exceptions.
And if you are too ignorant to understand that big chop affe ts little riders more than big riders, YOU ARE BLIND and are just pointing out exceptions.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD, I can see how you ran onto the rocks with the Starboard folks. Too much pushing and shoving to make your points can get under the skin of many folks.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the little kid....
Was I right about Hypersonic?
Was I right about Evo shape?
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not necessarily about being right. You might think about how it's done. That was more to my point.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the little kid...
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
coachg wrote:
1. Bigger people are less affected by chop.

How so? I actually doubt this is true. Perhaps if a bigger guys uses the same board as a smaller guy, the board will stick to the water better. But if board size matches weight, I don't see that chop would affect them differently. Also applies to the 3rd point.

You see it all the time. Even if two sailors, one big & the other light, have appropriate static flotation boards, the bigger sailor carries more weight that allows him to smash through chop. And as for point 3 I don't think I can explain it more simply. More weight needs more energy to get going & will carry momentum much longer. Cars, trucks, boats, planes, all are the same. I'm sorry that I can't help you understand that simple physic.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: