myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurf Foiling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"- Weeds: In a place with some amount of sea-grass type weeds, it seems like the foil would pick up the weeds fairly quickly, compromising lift and increasing drag to a point where it wouldn't work well."

Lots of eelgrass and loose kelp at Leadbetter Beach in Santa Barbara where the kiters are using foils, but it doesn't appear to affect their performance. That said, when it comes to thick concentrated kelp beds at the surface, I really don't think they can easily charge through without problems. As far as regular windsurfing goes, a weed fin is pretty much a requirement at Leadbetter.
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Don't be foiled! Reply with quote

Unless you live in San Mateo, San Fran, Hood or Maui, or anywhere with light winds, has had their interest stoked by this. I remember taking the intro lesson to kiting and I decided right there I wasn't interested in kiting. What "we need" is a chance to intro to foiling and decide if it's what we want, I am very eager to try it ASAP. $4000, ouch!
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Just foiling around Reply with quote

Oh, BTW how is it on still recovering ankles?
airwave

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, as long as Kai Lenny was being discussed.
Why bother with the expensive boards and stuff.
https://youtu.be/Ro5KQfRlGZ0
mac

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Hitting stuff. All depends. Hitting a fish on a formula board at 28 mph had that launching feeling. When you are foiling, most of the mast is out, so you don't really have more surface catching things. Most foilers spend a fair amount of time with a more erect posture, and less time hooked in, especially downwind. So the falls are not necessarily pitch pole--once you develop control and fine tuning skills. Not easy.

2. Crashes. During the early stages of learning I had some pretty scary crashes from 3 feet above a lot of hard carbon stuff. So I wore a helmet for the first time in nearly 4 years of windsurfing, and took it slow. The newer foils with stiffer masts are easier because the foil doesn't load up the foil and then release, which changes the angle of attack of the foil--and your course--suddenly. Bad juju when that happens. The new F4 is much stiffer and easier to ride.

3. Stress on your body. Learning to foil, going up and down a lot, pumping to get onto a plane and then foil, is immensely energy intensive. About 50% more exhausting than a slalom board at 30, or a formula board. But once you are up, it is way,way easier on you shoulders and knees.
loopless

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember long-boards? Remember wind-sup? All over-hyped ideas.

- Going to save windsurfing - check!
- Get rock star sailors to do amazing stuff on the gear - check!
- Make you feel like a loser if you don't have one - check!

Foiling requires $$$ and is just another depressing barrier for anyone getting into windsurfing.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil Pryde's starter foil is listed at under 800 and soon to be availible, according to them. That's not bad, and if it works in the lighter winds as intended, and you go back to windsurfing in higher winds, it's a good deal.
bert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Windsurf Foiling Reply with quote

“Do. Or do not. There’s no try.”
(Yoda)

yoda-7.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  155.46 KB
 Viewed:  14851 Time(s)

yoda-7.jpg

loopless

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Neil Pryde's starter foil is listed at under 800 and soon to be availible, according to them. That's not bad, and if it works in the lighter winds as intended, and you go back to windsurfing in higher winds, it's a good deal.

I got maybe a little over the top in my previous post:)

Some sailors in San Diego are seeing foils as the second coming of Jesus - I'm not so sure it's going to solve the 8-12 mph planing issue.

The problem as I see it is that as mentioned one needs to be a solid intermediate or better to pump the thing onto the foil - it's very physical.

Still I agree with you point that a cheap lightwind foil on one of the new boards designed to support a foil as well as regular fins is probably a good deal as you would not need big sails and another big board in your quiver. Maybe stop at a 5.5 saving money on sails/booms/masts.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you live in San Diego, normal sail size would be closer to 7.0, yet you need a 4.5 for that once a year storm.
Mission Bay is not all deep water, and has weeds floating around.
But a foil on a Formula board will allow sustained planing in around 10-12 knots of wind, so it's a viable alternative.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: