myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
PUMPING - How do you do it?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamero

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: PUMPING - How do you do it? Reply with quote

Pumping... How do you do it? Question

I understand the principle. Much like a bird flaps it's wings at take off, sometimes it is beneficial to pump your sail to gain speed and drive yourself on to plane.

I've tried many times but can never quite get a feel for it.

Pumping experts please provide some clear instructions on how to master this important but overlooked skill. Ideally please provide links to videos that illustrate correct examples and methodology.

Thanks!
konajoe

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a video of the best pumpers in the world: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmafoMOBWkU

Drop your butt first, then do a rapid pull-up. BOTH arms the same amount, and at the same time. The board should surge out of the water.

Pumping effectiveness drops with decreased leach tension, since the sail treats a pump the same as a gust, and dumps it. (Sails are stoopid!)

Pumping straight downwind is a completely different story.
konajoe

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow motion at 1:38 here: https://vimeo.com/71020698

Yellow sail coming in from the right...big, huge, heavy board almost comes out of the water.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like everything else in WSing, there are also several ways to pump, each with its own pros and cons.
konajoe

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Like everything else in WSing, there are also several ways to pump, each with its own pros and cons.

Agree. In this case, the right way, and the wrong way.
spennie

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What these other guys said, plus this: Head off downwind, drop your butt, do a forceful pull-up and try to take your weight off your feet, but not so much that you slip. Thin line, here. If you do slip & straddle the mast, you could end up a soprano for the day!
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: PUMPING - How do you do it? Reply with quote

The original video Konajoe provided gives you some idea. Let me try and
give words to the way I pump, and Mike is right, there are all sorts of
techniques. 1st there is sail pumping, wherein you pull the sail quickly
towards you effectively increasing the flow across the wing. You can do this
with both arms aggressively and actually keep your self planed even in
non-planning wind, but it's very tiring. If you're just below the planning
threshold some sharp quick flaps of the sail with just the rearward arm will
do the trick and not exhaust you.

There is also pumping the board which you can see in Joe's video if you
look closely, and there are a couple of ways to do that. you can pump the
fin in a somewhat horizontal manner by pushing and pulling the tail of the
board towards and away from you, which slightly increases flow across the
fin. If you've ever pumped a skateboard to keep moving on a flat surface,
it's very much the same feeling. Additionally, you can bounce the board
up and down, this has the advantage of unwetting most of the bottom
surface of the board for reduced friction. If you combine that with a little
forward board motion at the end of the bounce, it ill improve your chances
of planning.

Then, if you combine sail and board pumping at the same time (say pulling
the sail towards you while you push the tail of the board towards the sail
(and away from you), you get combined effect and the board should
squirt forward a little, add to that a little upward
bounce after a little rebound from pressing the board into the water, while
pulling the sail toward you, and the bear off a little in to a swell trough,
and voila, you're planed up.

I would say typically that if you don't plane off after about 3 or 4 good
pumps (and there's a rhythm to pumping, it's not erratic), the wind is too
light to sustain a plane. Also, think of the motion as a quick (but smooth)
yank of the sail
and push of the tail towards each other followed by just letting the whole rig
(board and sail) return to a normal stable position, then another quick yank.

Get yourself over you bow wake, and you maintain the plane without
more pumping (if there's enough wind to do that). Then everyone on the
beach runs for their gear as they watch you happily plane away ;*)

-Craig

mamero wrote:
Pumping... How do you do it? Question

I understand the principle. Much like a bird flaps it's wings at take off, sometimes it is beneficial to pump your sail to gain speed and drive yourself on to plane.

I've tried many times but can never quite get a feel for it.

Pumping experts please provide some clear instructions on how to master this important but overlooked skill. Ideally please provide links to videos that illustrate correct examples and methodology.

Thanks!
konajoe

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More of the best windsurfers in the world pumping: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs3FIjvz3BE

One thing pumping is not (unless you're sailing almost dead down wind, as noted about 6 minutes into the video, when they start heading down wind) is sheeting in and out. I saw a guy doing this a few weeks ago. It was hurting more than helping, and he would only get on a plane after he stopped. He was doing a lot of talking on the beach, and convinced a lot of poor souls that what he was doing was pumping. Too funny.

spennie wrote:
try to take your weight off your feet, but not so much that you slip. Thin line, here. If you do slip & straddle the mast, you could end up a soprano for the day!

I wouldn't think this image would be helpful. The good pumpers drive with their legs like crazy, as seen on the videos. Rowing sculls have foot holds. If they didn't, they'd fly off their seats every time they pumped the oars.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe wrote:
One thing pumping is not (unless you're sailing almost dead down wind, as noted about 6 minutes into the video, when they start heading down wind) is sheeting in and out. I saw a guy doing this a few weeks ago. It was hurting more than helping, and he would only get on a plane after he stopped. He was doing a lot of talking on the beach, and convinced a lot of poor souls that what he was doing was pumping.

Labels, schmabels. "Fanning" (my label for back-hand pumping) works very when there's almost enough wind and slope to plane. It takes much less effort, upsets the board much less, can be done hooked in to a roller bar, and is visible in many videos of pro sailors. Why bother with the mongo pumps in the videos in marginal situations when a couple of back hand flicks will work?

Then there's lifting the whole board off the surface by jerking one's strapped-in feet upwards, and setting it down flat and planing. This breaks the surface tension and is quite effective if hull speed and windspeed are in the ballpark. And before anyone says "Don't try this at home; it's for Gorge conditions and Gorge boards", I learned it in small inland lakes ... on 240 L longboards.

Just because there are videos of huge, grunting, heaves of pumping power does not mean that's the only way to break onto a plane. Some people even go so far as to grab a bigger sail, board, or fin.

Can't we lay this 'One way or the highway" business to rest (some WSing blogger posted that no multifin boards can be steered with the back foot!)? I once knew a full-time Gorge sailor who was preparing to go pro. He'd sail 'til the wind quit every windy day, and told me he seldom repeated any one jibe in a whole day.
konajoe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple things to note on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs3FIjvz3BE

At :13, they are just ready to start. They know they're going to be pumping hard off the line for as long as they can. Note that the leech is not floppy at all.

Starting at 6:00, the leaders start to head downwind in subplaning conditions. At 6:44, you can clearly see them fanning the sails. By fanning, I mean sheeting in with a strong pull of only the back hand, then sheeting out. This fanning is only effective sailing very deep downwind on a long board in subplaning conditions.

At 7:00, the leaders make a decision to start broad reaching down wind instead of running downwind. Here you see them go back to normal pumping with the front arm and back arm at the same time, like a pull up.

At 7:21, they are already planing, and do some smaller 'maintenance' pumps to maintain a plane during slight lulls.

You'd never want to fan the sail (sheeting out followed by a strong pull with the back hand) on a shortboard. The guy we saw doing so is a good sailor and a nice guy. He mostly sails in very powered conditions. We could see that he was being counter productive. But in his mind, he really knew how to pump, and was demonstrating. That's just not a situation where you can tell him or anyone else there that he's got it all wrong. He was just trying to be nice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: