myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Early planing boards
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtz

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Early planing boards Reply with quote

What are the traits to look for when searching for a board that planes early? Does that also mean it planes easily?

In the kite world; a big board planes easier/better in light conditions compared to a smaller board. Real easy.

Now I'm riding a titanic sized board and I think it's got too much hull displacement going on. I thought it would plane more easily then it does.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on your skill level.
Beginner shortboarder's need lots of volume, like 160 for a 160 lbs'er with a 7 meter sail.
Advanced 160'sers can plane up earlier with a 110 liter hard railed slalom board and a 7 meter sail.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

early planing is dependent on width - more than on liters
in very light winds people use narrow boards like Serenity or longboards
these glide and slice through the water.
formula boards are still considered earliest planers, but require pumping, huge sails and huge fins at the lower wind levels - now 100 cm wide
wide boards will schlogg and push water when wind is too light
instead of going formula, people seem to be going for wide freerides
like SB UltraSonic, JP SLW, Falcon 152, Tabou Speedster 89, RRD X-Fire or Excocet RS - all about 90 cm wide
the lighter you are, the less width you require ... and less sail too
someone suggested 9 cm width per 10 kilos of weight
here's a video planing in light wind on a formula
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CbJS_ZHs6g
but so far, nothing beats this video for going in light winds
https://vimeo.com/16015030
and as you may know, foiling is the lastest for early "planing" and light winds
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe is right - width is more important than volume when it comes to planing, and pumping is a must. PWA slalom has a wind minimum of 7 knots, although they probably actually need about 10 knots for the races to go through. But then you have big guys, many 200 lb+, planing on 85-90 cm wide boards and sails smaller than 10 m. That's a lot of pumping skills!
I think it's easier to learn pumping with smaller sails, and you're better off working on your technique first, before going to huge sails. But then, my biggest sail is 8.5, and I rather switch to long boarding or light wind freestyle when that does not get me going on a 71 cm slalom board (~13 knots).
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Early planing boards Reply with quote

rtz wrote:
I'm riding a titanic sized board and I think it's got too much hull displacement going on. I thought it would plane more easily then it does.

As others have stated: Width. The board in the photo (JP Freestyle 109) is 70cm wide, and 238 cm long (7'10"). At 109 liters it planed in the exact same winds as my Bic Techno (also 70cm wide, but 9'4" long and 153 liters). Older freestyle boards are outstanding early planers...they're not designed to go fast, but they are designed to get a sailor planing with smaller than average sails in lighter winds. They're good for other things too...I'm on that board in my avatar photo, sailing in four foot waves. Note that the newer freestyle boards are so specialized that while they plane early, they're not great all-around board. Spocks and vulcans yes. Carved jibes and chop not so much.

But as for your original question, for planing it's all about width. Volume doesn't get you planing.

jpobx.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  50.75 KB
 Viewed:  22577 Time(s)

jpobx.jpg

bred2shred

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Early planing boards Reply with quote

rtz wrote:
What are the traits to look for when searching for a board that planes early? Does that also mean it planes easily?

Formula board - light weight, very wide, and carries that width to the tail. Capable of carrying a large fin and large sail.

These boards are very intolerant of "beginner" mistakes (repeatedly dropping the sail, catapulting, etc.). You need to have solid skills sailing in the harness and foot straps at a minimum. They will become overpowered very quickly when the wind comes up if your skill level is not there. Look towards "Free-Formula" or similar boards for a de-tuned version to learn on.

sm
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I basically agree with most all the above... however I'll throw a slightly different spin on it, LOL

I'd say that early planing has to do with surface area and board weight.
A mostly flat bottom FW that is about 8' x 3' has a 24' surface area.
a mostly flat bottom raceboard is about 12' x 2' has 24' surface area.
In my experience with good recreational sailors, same weight, same fitness and skill... and same sails... both these boards will plane at about the same wind speed. Actually, I think that more than half the time the FW will plane in just slightly less wind than the raceboard... and I think this is cause it's lighter.
Anyway, this is what I've observed with lots of side by side testing... they plane in about the same wind. (Pros testing side by side, year round... with careful control of all variables... may get slightly different results. But that is not, most of us.)
Greg -

gvogelsang

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of the original Formula boards by Starboard. It measures 270 x 84. It planes up pretty early with an old Neil Pryde V8 8.5 - maybe in 12 - 13, or at least it did when I weighed less than 200. Because of the length, it is super easy to tack as well.

You may be able to find one cheap, and it can be a nice marginal wind board.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+2 for Saint Greg,

-Craig

gregnw44 wrote:
Yes, I basically agree with most all the above... however I'll throw a slightly different spin on it, LOL

I'd say that early planing has to do with surface area and board weight.
A mostly flat bottom FW that is about 8' x 3' has a 24' surface area.
a mostly flat bottom raceboard is about 12' x 2' has 24' surface area.
In my experience with good recreational sailors, same weight, same fitness and skill... and same sails... both these boards will plane at about the same wind speed. Actually, I think that more than half the time the FW will plane in just slightly less wind than the raceboard... and I think this is cause it's lighter.
Anyway, this is what I've observed with lots of side by side testing... they plane in about the same wind. (Pros testing side by side, year round... with careful control of all variables... may get slightly different results. But that is not, most of us.)
Greg -
manuel

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day we had pretty strong winds and I was giving a lesson.
The wind was only reaching the shore by spurts.
I was demonstrating tacks with a 3.0 (learning triangular sail not a true wave sail) on a big I don't know how many liters board with dagger board and all (Fanatic Viper or Mistral N-Trance). 200, 220,... 240L?

Well I was shocked that at the slightest gust I was planing instantly! Of course it felt completely uncontrollable, the board chose its wind angle and speed and off it went and I followed more or less hanging on for dear life with the 3.0! Haha... it was something.

I believe there was a thread about what makes a board plane early. I am not a board shaping expert but I'd say it has to do with how much flat area the board offers to the water. Now some boards can plane earlier on a wave (because the shape matches the wave curve), some others better in chop etc.

For light winds I used a Formula board because I kinda ran into it but if I had the choice I would have used a 80-85cm board instead with 8.0. Today I would just use a freestyle board with 5.9 something like that. Plane in 14-15 knots and voilà.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: