myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How do you know when your fin is too small?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was not my experience with the 2 fins I sheared off at the base. They
were my fins, they hadn't been run aground, and they'd been used for a
good 100 days. They were in slalom boards (way back when speed was
my thing, before I discovered how much fun it was to turn). I used to
load them up pretty good, but it could have been poor manufacture as well
as just wearing out.

Just say'n

-Craig

boardsurfr wrote:
Shearing of the fin at base is more likely to be caused by previous hard impacts than from age (or rather, usage) degradation. It does not happen often, but I had it happen twice on rental gear during a 2-week trip to Tobago. There are some shallow spots close to the launch with hard corals/stones which are fine most of the time, except at low tide. Vacationers don't know the spot and often discover the flat spots the hard way, damaging the fin. I did not run aground on the boards and fins I used, but I probably pushed the fins harder than most guys, so the broke from hidden previous damage.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been checking construction of Select fins. (No cracks in any of mine despite long usage.)

Apparently, Select fins are moulded inside metal moulds with pre-preg material from the aviation industry. They claim to be the ONLY manufacturer mastering this technique. Their CAD/CAM/CFD software, and their large framed milling machine produces fins with superior precision and uniformity.

They claim other fins on the market in epoxy or polyester are always finished by hand, so THAT uncertainty prevents them all being identical. (born out by the fact that some claim to have very special good ones, and others, stinkers!).

All their products are designed and manufactured in their French plant, with no importation of any kind. (Similar philosophy to Bic.)

It is easy to sneer at mass production techniques in windsurfing equipment, (as though inferior to hand finished), but the proof of the pudding - as they say. I have never had a Select fin failure in normal windsurfing, and nor have any other windsurfers I've asked. But it is not unlikely that hand crafted failure can, and sometimes does (as claimed on this thread) occur. Any construction fault could account for the cracking and snapping as cited!
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Others have had problems with some Select fins - check http://peterman.dk/windsurf-select-slalom-fins01-780.htm

A few years ago, Select Fins seemed to be the first choice in speedsurfing. That has changed, there does not really seem to be a dominant brand right now. I have only one older Select fin; I liked it for a while, but it sings a lot.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem that speed sailing (speeds which we mortals never ever reach) puts a greater strain on fin bases than any are able to take without drastically shortening their life, Boardsurf.

Perhaps, even with best materials it is asking too much of current technology, given that the fin cannot be of thicker tapering width at the base without loss of efficiency and speed.

As you said before, in speed sailing they all have a relatively short window of use. Fortunately, us ordinary windsurfers (surf, B&J freeride etc) don't stress them nearly so badly, even in longboard larger sizes, (I've just rechecked with a very strong light-all O.K.)

And yes, they can sing! Confounded French, They always go their own way and to hell with everyone else!! (That's why I secretly like them!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: