myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Finally planed it
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtz

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dagger board was nice in the beginning; but I took it out once I could easily go and stay upwind. I might use it this summer in ultra light conditions.

I put the foot straps on today. The front one feels fine. The back one just seems to close to the front one and makes me feel like my feet are side by side and I don't feel like I can brace against the sail well enough or as much as I'd like.

Hopefully I'll learn to waterstart tomorrow.

I've tried the boom set both high and low and neither feels right or wrong. Is it advantageous having it really high or really low?

What about long or short harness lines?
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the back doesn't feel like a stretch then it's in the wrong place.

As for the rest collar bone high and depends if you use a waist or seat harness.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtz wrote:
Hopefully I'll learn to waterstart tomorrow.

I've tried the boom set both high and low and neither feels right or wrong. Is it advantageous having it really high or really low?

What about long or short harness lines?

Learning to waterstart reliably takes most people many days ... months if, like I, you'd rather have fun than work at the sport.

Search the forum on boom height and line length. There must be 100 posts on that debate, again without consensus.

This stuff isn't cut and dried. Anyone who says there is only one right way to do even a small number of WSing stuff is stuck in a rut and likes to control how others sail.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned to water start in a day. It was too windy for any of my sails so I borrowed one without an uphaul. Motivation is a good teacher.
To begin with you need power, more than enough to be blasting. Second you need patience.
It took longer to transfer my waterstarts to a smaller board than it did to first learn them on a big board. Larger sails oddly didn't take long.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

planing with a 6.5 on a 240 liter Viper seems like an odd concept to me
then again ... the Legacy is supposed to have good range and may be as powerful as my 7.0 sail
(and rtz is light)
i have planed on my MEQ2 with the 7.0
(buddy says longboard don't plane - just glide faster Smile)

for waterstarts, do most people lean the mast or boom on back of board first ?
i tend to sail large sails and getting an 8.x out of the water $%^&*((
beach starts piece o' cake
once the feet don't touch the ground , can't get sail out of the water ...
tiny sails in big winds are so much easier ...
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:

Another giant bone of contention. Many say if the boom is that low, it's too low for sailing; others cite THE overriding hard rule of WSing: It Depends. If you mean, "instead of pointing the mast into the wind, raising the tip, and working one's way down the mast ... that's dooable, but I haven't seen it done routinely since the 1980s, but it still depends. Sometimes everything falls into place for that and if a wave is coming, anything goes.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
I learned to water start in a day. It was too windy for any of my sails so I borrowed one without an uphaul. Motivation is a good teacher..

I did too, in the sense that it all came together on the day it was waterstart or go home (Kanaha chop). But I had dabbled with it for a year or two, usually hopping up into a rope start when 30 seconds of lame waterstarting just wasted planing time. But did I develop reliable, all-conditions, barge-coming waterstarting on the first day I tried them? No way.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:

i tend to sail large sails and getting an 8.x out of the water $%^&*((
beach starts piece o' cake
once the feet don't touch the ground , can't get sail out of the water

When I sailed bigger sails (7.5, 8.8, 9.Cool I always wore a floatation vest to help with waterstarting. It worked. Recently I've started wearing an impact vest for a little extra float in all conditions, as I don't have much natural float. (NPX High Hook Immortal Kiteboarding Floatation Vest...works with waist harnesses).

On boards made in the last dozen years or so you'd have to run your boom very low for it to touch the tail. Mucks up your sailing stance unless you are quite short.

Dasher's waterstart video has dozens of tips btw. Full Disclosure I helped with it.

grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

You simply can't lift a large sail out of the water, you need to slide it out from under. This may involve starting at the tip or you might be able to start just above the boom.
Positioning is harder with a longboard but you generally can rest the boom unless the CB gets in the way.

Unless you can watch it done from close range and many angles you will miss the subtlety of the required moves. YouTube is your friend.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

' Longboards don't plane - just glide faster!'

Whoever told you that is either yanking your chain, or is away with the men in white coats! So those who 'clock up' anything up to, or even beyond, 30 m.p.h. on a longboard are just gliding are they? ( My Kona clocked 27.3 m.p.h. with a 6 metre sail, in a high wind and lumpy sea state, before I chickened out and eased back on the loud pedal.)

In the 80's we regularly raced 240 litre longboards in ANY wind strength, including real honest to goodness gales. A 3.9 sail on a 240 litre board in such winds would leave you in no doubt what constitutes planing - though it may well bring into question the riders planing ability!!

As for water starting large multi cammed race sails with wide luff sleeves, it's not hauling yourself up on to the board which is the problem once the rig is flying, but getting the blasted thing up out of the water, especially if it falls to the wrong side and the boom sinks vertically down into the water. Can take quite some time and effort - and exhaust ones special anger range of vocabulary as all the others blast on past you!!!!!

P.S. If you want to see an expert longboarder planing hard and fast in a rough sea and high wind, check out that video of Anders, practically riding on the fin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: