myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Saved a Fanatic 380 from the landfill
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nodak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Saved a Fanatic 380 from the landfill Reply with quote

I brought home this peculiar long board someone had left at the curb during cleanup week. A graphic says "class X" with otherwise no references to a board model. The board has a couple of dings that are nothing Marine Tex epoxy won't fix. All parts appear to work. It'll clean up nice. The previous owner had also tossed a funky 5.4 sail with 80's Nintendo style graphics. Some of my Hotsails Maui sail colors look almost identical to this wacky sail. It's just odd I happened to come across this since I already own a Kona One and the Naish Nalu 11'4 GS long boards.

The obvious question is how to use some of my modern equipment with this? Does this board accept the "US Cup" base I can pick up from Chinnok? The fin is a US Base style, so there are options.

IMG_20170430_220040635 (1).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  155.97 KB
 Viewed:  19114 Time(s)

IMG_20170430_220040635 (1).jpg

IMG_20170430_213522348 (1).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  158.36 KB
 Viewed:  19114 Time(s)

IMG_20170430_213522348 (1).jpg

carl

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a Fanatic Cat race board (early 1990s). Mine had a Fanatic specific foot pedal adjustable mast track so you could adjust the sail position while sailing.
Post a picture of the track, maybe someone has an old spare part.
Otherwise you could glass a new modern track in or just use it as a SUP.
nodak

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a photo of the track and another shot of the board. It adjusts by pressing down a pedal and pulling on the string.

Is this Chinook US Cup by chance going to work? Also what is the purpose of the two foot straps that are closest to the mast track? Which of my feet goes into them?

chinook us cup base.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  162.35 KB
 Viewed:  19015 Time(s)

chinook us cup base.jpg

IMG_20170430_213559573 (1).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  159.11 KB

IMG_20170430_213559573 (1).jpg

IMG_20170501_103030895.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  540.12 KB

IMG_20170501_103030895.jpg

rswabsin

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the Chinook base shown would not work - it's base is too small. There should be a tab or small handle of some type that will enable you to slide those two steel pins in the mast foot base back so the base can be inserted. Then you slide the pins back in place to lock it in. You may have to fabricate something on your own or someone may have knowledge of where you might find some spare parts to rebuild a base that fits. The string you see actually was a safety line that attached to the mast base in the event the base became separated from the board. Despite all the dirt, this could be fun to restore and sail with minimal investment other than time.

Rob
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The extra footstraps up closer to the mast track are upwind straps used when the centerboard is deployed. When the centerboard is fully down, and you are moving hard to windward, the board will tend to rail up. With your front foot in the reaching footstrap, it allows you hike out and counterbalance the centerboard, and drive deeply upwind.

Regarding the Chinook universal, I would be quite surprised if it fits in and engages. During that time, most manufacturers designed their own unique pins and the adjustable mast tracks that they went into. While the pins all look mighty similar in design, the detail dimensioning between them are very different.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably need something like this: (good luck)

nodak

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:
probably need something like this: (good luck)

What are the dimensions of the part your holding in your hand? I have access to a machine shop and can most likely fabricate it. Also would like to see how you mount that base on the mast track. Thanks.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that close-up mast track photo of the moving cartridge where you would insert the universal assembly, it's that adjacent yellow plastic tab that controls and moves the two metal diameters you see through the pin entry hole. It's likely that moving the yellow tab up or down will lock or unlock things where you can slide the two shafts fore and aft. It's also quite likely that along the each diameter, its been formed and bent along a short section to permit universal pin insertion. Moving it back to the lockable position and locking down the yellow tab in place will ensure a good mechanical connection within the recessed area along the outside diameter of the universal pin.
outcast

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good find!
outcast

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good find!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: