myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
KODE FSW 94l as a Freeride Board
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamero

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: KODE FSW 94l as a Freeride Board Reply with quote

Could you kindly comment on the Starboard Kode FSW 94L setup when used as a Freeride board? What do you think is the best approach in my case?

Last year I bought a 2014 Kode FSW Carbon 94L as my first higher wind board. I sail in Vancouver where bigger gear is usually required. My regular go-to board is a Carve 121 and a 7.5 Retro. I am a general freeride sailor and wheigh 138lbs (a light weight).

My intention is to switch over from the Carve to the Kode when the wind/chop picks up. I will still be using the Kode FSW as a general Freeride board in combination with 5.0-6.5 Retros. No wave riding other than just get over chop and regular swells.

My Kode FSW is a 2014 with a single fin (no thrusters).

Kode FSW details:
It can be configured in an inboard, THREE strap setup.
It can be configured in an outboard, FOUR strap setup.
It's stock fin is a Drake Freewave 28cm US Box.
It's sail range is 4.5-6.5.

Questions.
1. Should I use four straps in my case? I always see this board setup online with three straps, and mine is currently setup as three. Would four be better for general Freeride? This would place the straps closer to the rail which of course may make it harder to sail? It obviously has been designed to use four straps for a reason though. My Carve 121 has four straps. Again, I'm not doing any real wave sailing. I simply want to drop down from my Carve in a similar Freeride sailing style.
2. Will the stock 28cm fin be big enough? Is it the right type of fin? I wonder if I use a 6.0 or 6.5 will I be pushing the limits of this fin. The top end sail range tor this board is 6.5.
3. The fin box is US. This means it can be moved forward or backward in the box. I would imagine for Freeride you want the fin as close to the tail as possible, correct?

Thanks for the tips!
LeeD

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy...
At 94 liters, most 175 lbs'ers can uphaul it, so it's super floaty for you.
Big sail around 6 meters, playing down to 13-18 mph breezes.
Around 32 cm blade max for lightest wind playing, down to 19cm wave fin for winds over 25 mph.
6.5 is pushing the upper limits, but it will work if it's somewhat steady 13-18 breezes not requiring a long tough slog out to the wind line.
Smallest sail around 4.2 if the water is not too rough or too deep.
Most guys around the Crissy Field area, weighing in the 170 range, use that size board as their main board, and some carry a smaller wave type for high winds and ebb tides.
marc5

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mamero, while I don't have identical gear to yours, it is quite similar: RRD Firemove 122L, JP FSW 93L. At 180 lbs, I'm a bit heavier than you.

I sail the RRD with a Retro 7.0 most of the time, sometimes with a 6.2. When the 6.2 and RRD start to feel big, I'll first move down to the JP. The next step down is to put a 5.2 on the JP. On a board the size of the JP or Kode, I like a single strap in back. Even though it's rare that I wave sail anymore, I like being closer to the center of the board when I'm wound up (front straps also inboard). It just feels more maneuverable and more secure. It's more fun to play in the chop set up that way: heel-toe turns in the low water; popping off the chop.

A 27cm fin came with my JP, but I need more when using a 6.2. At your weight it might work. With a 5.0 it should work. I find that Gorge sailors and wave sailors use much smaller fins than I use.

Have fun and let us know what is working for you.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double wide outboard for go fast and normal jumps.
Single rear and inboard for easy jibing and more range in the straps.
Blade fins can use double rear outboard.
Wave fins should be used with single rear inboards.
Either way, any fin, at 138 lbs., you can uphaul 75 liter boards wearing a full wetsuit.
ss59

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. 4 straps or 3. With 4 straps you would also set the front straps in the outboard position, which means your weight is further outboard and you more control over the windward rail = better upwind control and more leverage over the fin. With 3 straps, weight is further inboard, you will sail more upright = better turning, less pressure on the fin.
I would suggest you go 3 straps as, at your stage, you will find it easier to manage the (relatively) narrow tail on your Kode. You may also want to experiment with fore and aft position of the front and rear straps and also the foot strap spread.

2. 28cm is a big fin, easily big enough for a wave orientated 6.5; but you may have to learn how to sail with a soft back leg to avoid pushing it too hard - good practice for later on in your sailing. Do you have a 5.7?

3. Fin position - forward helps turns back helps speed and control - go for the middle of the box and experiment from there (when you find your prefered position a tiny dot of permanent marker next to the fin box in line with the leading edge of the fin helps you find the spot every time)

Two other thoughts, your 6.5 Retro is (I think) a 7 batten freeride/freerace type sail; it may not be the best with your Kode due to the weight and the locked-down style - it also may be just too fast in choppy conditions to feel controllable and may also need more fin. 94litres is a big board for someone of your weight in 4.5m weather when it is that windy you may well find something sub 80litres would be a lot more controllable.
mamero

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Single rear and inboard for easy jibing and more range in the straps.

What do you mean by "more range in the straps"?

zirtaeb wrote:
Blade fins can use double rear outboard.
Wave fins should be used with single rear inboards.

How does a Freewave fin fit in to this? The Kode FSW includes a Drake "Freewave" 28. What exactly IS a Freewave fin? Is it a Wave? Freeride? Freestyle? Freewave is a term that overall is kind of ambiguous to me.
mamero

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ss59 wrote:
With 4 straps you would also set the front straps in the outboard position, which means your weight is further outboard and you more control over the windward rail = better upwind control and more leverage over the fin.

I use a seat harness. Would 4 straps be better given that I am in a lower, more outboard stance? More lateral force through the board and fin?

ss59 wrote:
You may also want to experiment with fore and aft position of the front and rear straps and also the foot strap spread.

The Kode is somewhat limited in footstrap positions. From what I can see, and I could be wrong, it looks like there is only inboard/outboard for the front. Single/double for the rear. Can fore and aft be set independent of inboard or outboard position? By spread you mean the width of the strap (opening), correct? I am still perfecting straps and also wear booties. I will likely need the widest point of the strap (widest point between screw holes) which means I may not have room to move fore/aft.
mamero

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marc5 wrote:
mamero, while I don't have identical gear to yours, it is quite similar: RRD Firemove 122L, JP FSW 93L....

Thanks marc5. A good comparison.
mamero

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
Around 32 cm blade max for lightest wind playing, down to 19cm wave fin for winds over 25 mph.

Thanks LeeD

Perhaps I should keep my eye open for a 31-32 cm fin to complement my stock 28 Freewave. What type of fin should I consider? Again, the stock fin is a Freewave and I'm not sure what "Freewave" really means. Any good 32 US box fin recommendations for a Kode FSW?

LeeD wrote:
Most guys around the Crissy Field area, weighing in the 170 range, use that size board as their main board, and some carry a smaller wave type for high winds and ebb tides.

What footstrap position do they use if it's their main board, 3 or 4? Are they freeriders or wave sailors?
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the 3 strap set up on that size board for ease of use. The tail on these size boards are pretty narrow so you don't really gain much with the fourth strap. best advise is to try it both ways to see what suits you. 6.5 is a bit big but at your size it should be ok. Don't expect it to sail just like your bigger board. It will challenge you to improve your skills. You might find that after some time on the water and your size, this might be your go to board for most conditions. Don't give up on it to soon....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: