myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
One more fin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtz

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hooking in some today with the 5.5.

Kite handles have a 'strop' line between them to hook to a harness. I'm use to that and done it a lot. But I never once had the impression I continually did today with these harness lines.

I think it had something to do with them being rigid and retaining their shape when not in use. I couldn't shake the thought of it and a hanging noose. The similarities.

Riding around unhooked looking at it; knowing I was going to have to at some point; and dreading it. It felt reckless and like possible instant death.

Anyone else initially ever have the same thought about them?

Riding around in light wind strong arming it is a totally different activity then riding hooked in.

I'm still trying to figure out how to anchor down the sail so it doesn't take me off the board. I got 30" harness lines and they don't by any means seem too short. And those back foot strap positions seem so far away. Like miles away.

windward1

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtz,

So have you hooked in and leaned back when sailing with the harness and harness lines? I could not tell from your description.

You will just have to work through your fear of the "noose". I never had it. I was too busy listening to my arms begging me to get hooked in.

W1
rtz

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have hooked in. But the wind was light and I only went over with the sail once in a gust.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as i have said before ...

i made homemade soft rope lines - longer than 30 inches
put them beside the "rigid" lines
able to hook in , in very light winds - to overcome the "fear"
took less than one season
AHD FF160 with MS Pursuit 8.5 @220 pounds

ss59

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:
as i have said before ...

i made homemade soft rope lines - longer than 30 inches
put them beside the "rigid" lines
able to hook in , in very light winds - to overcome the "fear"
took less than one season
AHD FF160 with MS Pursuit 8.5 @220 pounds

Hi Joe - I can understand why you did that but I would avoid soft rope lines; my understanding is that rigid lines exist because they keep their shape, and so are easier to hook into, but also because they are safer. Rigid lines can't/are less likely to twist around the harness hook, after say, a catapult, and therefore have less potential to cause problems unhooking.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtz wrote:
When it's light; I'm the only one out sailing. On big days when I'm hanging on to my 4.7; it always has me thinking about a 4.0 or smaller. Get one or no?

When you are fully powered up (especially on a big board) it's virtually impossible to control the sail without the harness. Use it and you will be wanting bigger sails not smaller.

Edit: read your last post. It exemplifies why people need to JUST GET ON WITH IT. Leaving harness lines and footstraps off the board until you are "ready" for them just creates neuroses.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a lesson or two. You aren't going to solve these challenges with gear purchases.

If lessons are unavailable have someone shoot video of you sailing, and post some clips here. You'll get feedback from people who can see what you're doing (and not doing.)

I remember in my own first year insisting that the back foot strap was too far back to use. Until my friend jumped on my gear, went shooting around in both straps, jibed etc.

You need some basic techniques.

gvogelsang

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtz,

have you sailed without hooking in, and had enough wind to lean way back into the wind? In order to do that, you have to learn to control the wind gusts, without automatically sheeting out (letting the back end of the sail out to avoid catapult.

You need to learn to use the sail to direct wind into more speed, by quickly using your weight by leaning into the wind and directing its force through your feet (particularly your front foot) into the board to get more speed.

When that becomes automatic, you will find that hooking in does not present a psychological problem, because your instincts will be compensating for more wind.

Best,
rtz

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

48, 40, 34

ss59

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using K4 fins last weekend, a tri-fin set up 18cm rear + 12cm fronts - all rockets, with a 4.7, getting a bit spin out. It was suggested that I could try sanding the surface a little as they have a very shiny finish out of the factory (as you can see in RTZ's photo)- anyone else tried this?

The other suggestion was to switch to Black Project.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: