myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
50 degrees water - finally!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: 50 degrees water - finally! Reply with quote

The water temp reading at the Nantucket Sound buoy finally reached 50 degrees today! Time to hit the water again soon. With predicted air temps in the mid-60s, decoupling may be an issue at Kalmus for the next couple of days. Fogland might be the safer bet. But the beginning of next week looks very promising. See you all on the water!

BTW: The Falmouth buoy has shown water temps around 53 degrees for a few days already, and the satellite images also have shown warmer water near shore.

Finally 50F.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.77 KB
 Viewed:  18696 Time(s)

Finally 50F.jpeg

dllee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

????
Twas 50 around here back in Feb., and I was still wearing a 6 year old too large for me 4/3 with at least 4 holes bigger than my thumb.
Was saving my 5 year old good condition westuit for cold days, which hasn't occurred yet.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here on Cape Cod, it seems many windsurfers wait until the water temperature goes above 50 degrees. It's usually in the 30s or low 40s in February (although 2 years back, there was solid ice everywhere).
Air temperatures on the water here usually are not much higher than water temps. Even when it's 70s inland, air temps on the beach now will be closer to 50 (unless it decouples and there is no wind).
Current temperatures should be good for a decent 4.5 mm semi dry and 3 mm booties, perhaps a light hood, and no gloves. Compared to the 6 mm neoprene etc. that is needed in the winter, that's nice.
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it.
Why would a windsurfer need the same thickness and warmth of wetsuit as a surfer? A windsurfer is not spending all his time underwater, IS actively doing something all the time, and has a board to stand on, or climb onto, or waterstart onto, therefore taking himself completely out of the water.
I surfed in 50 degree water and 45 degree air temps with a 4/3 wetsuit and booties, for 3 hours a session.
No reason to need that much rubber for windsurfing in the waves...unless I fall off every jibe and constantly every 2 minutes to lay in the water for 3 minute stretch's before getting up again.
jpeter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evaporation of water cools you off. 45 deg air and water is about good with a 54 suit for me windsurfing.. paddlesurf ie no wind i am fine just above freezing. Jp
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems you West Coast guys are just a lot tougher than the average windsurfer in the northeast. That's probably why you're known to be windsurfing all-year long.
outcast

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatever
paulf.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is surmised that LeeD and zirtaeb are the same person.. how strange.
outcast

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohhhh...here we go.
paulf.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just waiting for 4/3 and barefoot. Close.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: