myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Back at it.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darbonne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Back at it. Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Darbonne wrote:
If I rig for the the lulls then I am beyond my skill level in the gusts.

But the only way to learn how to sail fully- or over-powered is to sail fully- or over-powered. Rig big, suck it up, and soon you'll be in those straps loving much more power than you can handle now. Don't worry; you'll still get plenty of slogging time to hone those skills.

Right.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went big on Friday in 14-25 knts. Went out on the Kona 9 to get overpowered, and it didn't take long to get there. Had a couple of reaches on full plane, front foot in. Then I had some problems as the wind picked up. Now I see why the gybe is the preferred method of coming about when planing. I got hung up in a couple of slow tacks that left me in irons and unable to handle the power when I tried to get going again. Will work on gybes.

Can I also complain about these lake conditions. If I can learn to sail here I can sail just about anywhere. Constant changes in speed and direction. 10 to 33 MPH? It happens.

18698105_1558872654131581_6694362851659867242_n.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.61 KB
 Viewed:  12558 Time(s)

18698105_1558872654131581_6694362851659867242_n.jpg

rollerrider

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one most important thing that enables a epic session in any sport like this is conditions. Most windsurfers learn how to deal with adverse conditions and get in some good rides. I used to rig big in order to plane consistently in our local gusty stuff. I've given up on the big stuff and now concentrate on using light weight power oriented sails, shorter high carbon masts and light early planing boards and good fins. My skills have changed from being locked in to constantly reading the gusts and sheeting in or out and moving the rig up or raking it back. IMO this is more fun way to deal with gusty winds. The other thing is plan ahead for retirement, retire early and find a better venue and move.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollerrider wrote:
The other thing is plan ahead for retirement, retire early and find a better venue and move.

HEAR, HEAR!
Heck, most careers can even be moved before retirement. It took a lot of work, but I carefully chose the timing and location of several moves based on recreational opportunity superiority, and retired very early to my last location for the same reason.

Is living in a home worth three times one's annual income in one's youth, or working 50 hours a week REALLY worth working like a dog until one is too old to rip? Not to me.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Back at it. Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
But the only way to learn how to sail fully- or over-powered is to sail fully- or over-powered. Rig big, suck it up, and soon you'll be in those straps loving much more power than you can handle now. Don't worry; you'll still get plenty of slogging time to hone those skills.

Be careful on this one at your level. Rigging big is a double edged sword. Yes, you can learn to deal with the excess power but you could just as well end up sailing defensively & developing habits that will leave you forever inefficient. So, not knowing you my advice for rigging would be best summed up here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VrFV5r8cs0

Coachg
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings to you oh gusty lake namesake,

10-33MPH is hateful to even very accomplished windsurfers, and I feel
for your discomfort. 14-25 knots is however pretty sailable, so keep
at it and you'll soon be ripping along in winds you once thought heinous.

-Craig

Darbonne wrote:
Went big on Friday in 14-25 knts. Went out on the Kona 9 to get overpowered, and it didn't take long to get there. Had a couple of reaches on full plane, front foot in. Then I had some problems as the wind picked up. Now I see why the gybe is the preferred method of coming about when planing. I got hung up in a couple of slow tacks that left me in irons and unable to handle the power when I tried to get going again. Will work on gybes.

Can I also complain about these lake conditions. If I can learn to sail here I can sail just about anywhere. Constant changes in speed and direction. 10 to 33 MPH? It happens.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

catapults are much minimized by one clear and simple protocol:

do not hook in until AFTER your front foot is in the strap.

to sail hooked in out of the straps invites disaster, AND makes one always afraid. talk about a glass ceiling.

long boards are way easier to learn high wind skills, provided you use some logic.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
konajoe

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try to sail in a smaller area and turn around more often?

I know that where I sail, on days with a common wind direction, there is one area where the wind is always steadier and stronger. Some people sail right through it on their 2 mile reaches. Others throw in a lot of tacks and jibes, just to stay in that area.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
catapults are much minimized by one clear and simple protocol:

do not hook in until AFTER your front foot is in the strap.

to sail hooked in out of the straps invites disaster, AND makes one always afraid.

That's one man's opinion. As for a second man's opinion, I disagree strongly with both points and have backed it up many times. Such rules are made to be broken, especially when skinning cats.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Back at it. Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
Be careful on this one at your level. Rigging big is a double edged sword. Yes, you can learn to deal with the excess power but you could just as well end up sailing defensively & developing habits that will leave you forever inefficient. So, not knowing you my advice for rigging would be best summed up here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VrFV5r8cs0

Coachg

I presume a few caveats:
1. Use some common sense. I wouldn't rig my 6.2 when the lulls are 30 mph (unless I was in a race.)
2. Don't rush ashore to hide or rig down every time a gust overpowers you.
3. If I'm underpowered and overpowered about the same amounts of time in any given session, I figger I'm rigged about right to get the most I can out of that session ... I plane the most and I learn the most about managing too much power and too little power.
4. The only way to find our limits is to exceed them. Each time we do that, they should expand ... sometimes very dramatically in one session. I planed a few times my first time ever on a WSer, and that played a major part in where I took it from there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: