myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Back at it.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darbonne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Back at it. Reply with quote

I missed the whole spring season and six months of windsurfing last year when when my house flooded on March 11. I also missed the Kona Worlds which was tough. I am making the most of the spring winds this year. Since there are no other windsurfers in my area I thought I would blather on this board for a little camaraderie. My sailing is progressing. I read this board regularly so I know all the usual input. I haven't taken a lesson, but I have been to other locations where the conditions are better than my home lake. Part of what is holding me back is lake conditions. If I rig for the gusts then I am slogging in the lulls. If I rig for the the lulls then I am beyond my skill level in the gusts. I can sail fully powered up and on plane but I am standing on the straps not in them. Seems like my back foot wants to be more in the center of the board between the rear straps when planing. The good news is that I can handle higher winds, and I rarely get catapulted. I hear folks talk about how easy the Kona is to sail and see folks relaxed and in the straps sailing along. I know, take a lesson. Going to keep at it till I get it.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Back at it. Reply with quote

Greetings Mr Darbonne,

I hate it when disaster (even minor disaster) gets in the way of Windsurfing.

If your front foot is on the front strap, then you can get it in the front strap,
and the progression is natural to sail around with just your front foot
strapped but not the rear (for a short while learning). Having your rear
foot centered on the board is OK (for now). You'll find that rear foot
ooching farther out towards the rear foot straps as you get more experience
and more powered up, all by itself. Lessons are good,
but sometimes you've just gotta learn how by yourself. When you're
powered up try continuing to sail in a straight line while unweighting (and
maybe even lifting your front foot slightly) once you can do that, you
can get that baby in that front strap and a whole new world of control will
be available to you. You'll need to concentrate on that planted foot
(the rear one) to make sure it doesn't do anything like wiggling around
or having your weight more on the heal than on the toes, and you'll
want to make sure you are applying plenty of MFP down through the
harness lines to keep you from rounding up.

Good Luck!

-Craig

Darbonne wrote:
I missed the whole spring season and six months of windsurfing last year when when my house flooded on March 11. I also missed the Kona Worlds which was tough. I am making the most of the spring winds this year. Since there are no other windsurfers in my area I thought I would blather on this board for a little camaraderie. My sailing is progressing. I read this board regularly so I know all the usual input. I haven't taken a lesson, but I have been to other locations where the conditions are better than my home lake. Part of what is holding me back is lake conditions. If I rig for the gusts then I am slogging in the lulls. If I rig for the the lulls then I am beyond my skill level in the gusts. I can sail fully powered up and on plane but I am standing on the straps not in them. Seems like my back foot wants to be more in the center of the board between the rear straps when planing. The good news is that I can handle higher winds, and I rarely get catapulted. I hear folks talk about how easy the Kona is to sail and see folks relaxed and in the straps sailing along. I know, take a lesson. Going to keep at it till I get it.

Last edited by cgoudie1 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
grantmac017

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the outer Kona strap positions quite far our for my big feet and not required to control the fin. Do you have yours on the inner?
I'd also rather have too much sail 5% of the time rather than too little 95% of the time.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My straps are as far in as I can get them. Thanks for the encouragement cgoudie1. I feel like I am close. I have been in the front strap for brief periods. Progress is slower than I would like. Yeah, natural disasters suck, however lake living in Louisiana is not without risk.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eventually you will know when you have the power to plane and will just stuff your feet in then bear away and get going. This feeling is pretty much the one you get just before a catapult. Waiting until you are really blasting tends to make getting your feet in more difficult for me at least.
This is for powered up gusty stuff. When the wind is marginal you have to be more subtle with foot transition.

With a lot of things in windsurfing commitment makes it easier. Getting in the straps soon even if you might drop off plane, go deeper after you get in to build speed.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eventually you will be able to feel - through the harness and your sixth sense - that the sail is supporting most of your weight. When you feel that, it is fairly easy to get your feet in the straps.

In somewhat marginal conditions, I sail with my front foot in the strap and my back foot just behind it. If the conditions are marginally planing, I don't fear catapults.

As you get accustomed to your lake, you will be able to see gusts coming. If you see them on the water upwind and ahead, you can be ready to react. It comes with time on the water.
underwood

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fear of catapults has a whole different meaning in Louisiana...especially after seeing an alligator slide into the water! Shocked
gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darbonne, welcome back to the water!
I've been gone from here, for a while too... anyway, just wasting time and catching up a bit Smile
I remember the vid you posted about this topic a year or two ago. You might remember I'm the one who spotted your footwear. In the vid you were wearing Teva type sandals, which are thick, hard, inflexible, and have somewhat bulky straps which criss-cross on top of your feet.
To this I said (with all due respect) "Get Rid Of The Teva's!!!"
Others agreed with me.
You had a reason for wanting some decent foot protection... which is fine. But wearing any sandal close to a Teva, will be a major hindrance to getting in the straps. There are windsurfing booties out there, that have a decent sole... they will protect your feet quite well... but are still flexible enough to "feel" the board... and they're smooth on top which allow you to slide in and out of footstraps easily which builds confidence for someone who's hesitant about getting "in the straps".

In your vid you were definitely going fast enough on your Kona, with a decent sized sail. Yes, as people said, you needed to commit a bit more to the sail... hang more of your weight off the boom (more mastbase pressure). But anyway, you weren't far off. And, as people said then, and already said here... you're just going to have to go for it. Search for that thread on here, myself and others gave very comprehensive tips on how to accomplish this, step by step. If you do those steps... and the right footwear so you can balance and "feel" the board (which you need for control) and less bulky (so you can slip in and out of straps easily)... and commitment... you will have success!!
Hang in there and good luck
Greg Smile

Darbonne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg, I think you may have me confused with someone else. No Tevas here, I wouldn't do that to my board. I wear Okespor booties for now. The advice applies just the same. I have been there. Can't wait to get back. Need TOW and some favorable conditions.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Back at it. Reply with quote

Darbonne wrote:
If I rig for the the lulls then I am beyond my skill level in the gusts.

But the only way to learn how to sail fully- or over-powered is to sail fully- or over-powered. Rig big, suck it up, and soon you'll be in those straps loving much more power than you can handle now. Don't worry; you'll still get plenty of slogging time to hone those skills.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: