myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Starboard formula-LWR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Starboard formula-LWR Reply with quote

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this board. What do you like about this board and what you might dislike about this board. I am a lighter weight rider so I would think to go for the LWR. But I was a little confused about why the LWR- for light weight riders at 168L has more volume then the HWR-for heavy weight riders at 162L. I read that the LWR is for medium to strong winds and HWR for light to medium winds.

Any experience with this board or input on this topic would be appreciated.
techno900

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atlas,

You have probably read the info. below, and I don't have experience with either board. However, I do have the F160 and a friend has the HWR. The volume differences I think are inconsequential, it's more a matter of tail width and design. The HWR is 3.1 cm wider in the tail. For the average "recreational" formula sailor or for the novice to intermediate formula racer, it's likely that the differences between the boards will not be noticed. Just an opinion.

Quote:
Formula HWR
Designed for light to medium winds or for medium to heavy weight riders, the Formula HWR provides the most all round performance. Wojtek Brozozowski, Michael Polanowski and Remi Vila's new design incorporates a new rocker line with 2mm extra tail-lift and a tail design with a new cutaway shape.

The cutaway shape provides a longer rail length and a wider planing surface under your back foot. Combined with the 2mm extra tail-lift, this allows the board to generate more power yet also release from the water more, creating a more lively board that hunts upwind at greater angles and with a deeper power reserve. With this increased power and a wider planing surface area, the Formula HWR becomes quicker over a wider range, becoming more immune to imperfections in the wind or water conditions. Choppy water or flat water, underpowered or overpowered: the Formula HWR delivers peak performance.

Formula LWR
The new Formula LWR is designed for medium to high winds or for medium to lighter weight riders. Based on the highly successful and still popular F160, the LWR has the same new cutaway shapes as the LWR, to increase the efficiency of the planing surface and increase the power delivery under your back foot.

With 5mm more tail-lift, the board also has more release and provides a livelier ride, making the board more immune to wind and water conditions. The nose has also been thinned down for improved aerodynamics and a reduced nose weight.

The Formula HWR and the Formula LWR WoodCarbon: two all-new designs for the new racing season.
New tail rockers:
2mm more lift in the HWR compared to the F162/F161
5mm more lift in the LWR compared to the F160
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: