myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Who makes a longer uphaul line?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Who makes a longer uphaul line? Reply with quote

New to windsurfing. Looking for an uphaul that is longer than the common 56" ones.

Those of you who are taller than 6'; do you just use a standard uphaul line or mod yours?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

add some old, yet less worn out portion of an out haul or down haul line.

add it to the part that attaches to the boom, not the base. simple, and no more money need be spent.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
bred2shred

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to make/sell custom uphaul lines that were quite a bit longer than the current industry lines. Having the right length really makes uphauling much easier since it allows you to have the proper posture.

If you're relatively handy, you could make one pretty easily. Use "hollow braid" line for the main section. You can order this through murrays.com. Then you just fish a bungee cord inside the hollow braid. Tie it off at the top and make a loop at the bottom to hook over your mast base. Tie a piece of 1/8" diameter line at the top to tie off to your boom. You can throw a couple knots in the line too if you want.

sm
manuel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for easy uphaul and maybe try to make your own. Also be sure to use your weight and not your arms. If your uphaul is too long then it might become more difficult to control the sail once out of the water. So I would first add a rope to it and go from there.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the plastic buckles on my Easy Uphaul broke I took the pieces, bought some shock cord and made my own. Now I have an uphaul that is the perfect length for me. The hardest part was getting the knots undone.
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For stubborn knots, I put enough water on them so they are fully wet, use a flat screwdriver and pry them open also pulling with pliers. Of course, one has to be careful not to cut into the rope or damage them. I did have an uphaul tear to pieces because it was so dry but not because of tools damage!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: