myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
wave sailing in onshore wind
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merriam wrote:
Coachg

AGAIN? God DAMMIT, people: "onshore wind" is DEFINED as wind and waves/swell generated BY that LOCAL wind moving in the same direction. How it is oriented to some nearby shoreline is IRRELEVANT once the sailor clears the shorebreak. I've quoted Josh Angulo's comment on it many times. It has to do with the relative direction of the wind vs the waves/swell, and does not address the obvious challenges of getting out through the resulting 90-degree shorebreak.[/quote]

I can't find this definition? Doesn't onshore imply wind blowing towards the shore? Offshore blowing away from the shore? Sideshore blowing parallel to the shore? Not sure where you get your "definition" from.[/quote]

You're correct (though you somehow attributed the erroneous definition above to coachg. It's Isobars' quote. Onshore wind is defined as wind blowing onshore. Sideshore wind is defined as wind blowing parallel to the shore. The conditions created by onshore winds in a wave venue present a number of challenges (see Zirtaebs and jingebritsen's comments) that Iso seems to think occur with windblown swell on rivers and bays. And then he's trying to pin that wrong thought on Josh Angulo.

I am a mediocre onshore wave sailor, but I know better than that nonsense.

merriam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, I was trying to quote Isobars. Operator error.
Thanks for the correction.
Tom
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: On-Shore? Reply with quote

I'm not really much of a definitions kinda guy. I just like to sail. If it's
definition by consensus, the definition of Gorge launches is
Side-shore (almost always). It's pretty heavy Side-on at the beach at the
Boat Ramp on an Easterly though. I've sailed straight up and down
the river on a few occasions generated by T-heads, which would be
On-shore at the beach, but that is rare.

Once you get on the water (away from the beach), the sailing conditions
do tend to be pretty similar to On-shore conditions like Mike says.

Since the beach wind is usually pretty Side-shore on the Columbia, you get
easy access to the wind and water situations which mimic "On-shore"
conditions elsewhere. This thread started as a question about the
difficulty of getting outside in On-shore conditions, that's
not typically an issue on the Columbia (unless you launch into some
Barge beach break which shall heretofore be called Barge-Shore ;*))

Anyway, just another reason to love the Gorge, all the convenience of
Side-shore launch, and all the joy of water conditions which mimic
On-shore conditions elsewhere.

-Craig
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: On-Shore? Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:

The OP specified wave sailing in the ocean. Those conditions are not the equivalent of sailing on a river or a bay.

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: On-Shore? Reply with quote

Not trying to take anything away from Wave sailing. I am a marginal wave
sailor, and I only get about 7 days a year on the Ocean. On the days when
I've sailed wind swell at Kanaha, it felt similar to big days on the river. The
power of wind swell on the ocean is substantially stronger than a river swell,
but to me it feels similar, and the wind and swell do run a similar direction.

As I said in the previous post, the OP was interested in getting out in On-Shore wind. Nothing equivalent to that on the Columbia.

-Craig

PeconicPuffin wrote:
cgoudie1 wrote:

The OP specified wave sailing in the ocean. Those conditions are not the equivalent of sailing on a river or a bay.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Once you get on the water (away from the beach), the sailing conditions
do tend to be pretty similar to On-shore conditions like Mike says."

Craig, let's recognize the obvious. Sailing in any wind direction, once you get away from the beach, could be viewed as sailing in "onshore" conditions. That even includes offshore winds. Wind forms chop and windswell, and we basically sail perpendicular to the wind's direction. While sailing, the wind is always to our back, regardless of its direction.

When we practically identify the wind direction, it is usually characterized based on its relationship to the launch. It's essentially sideshore, onshore or offshore. However, we can find that it can be something in between, like "side-off" or "side-on" conditions.

One thing that I've recognized over the years is that the wind will clock and effectively change direction as the day matures. Taking a typical Gorge spot like Swell City or the Hatchery on a summer day, the wind tends to be SW very early in the day, and it will clock around to be more WNW at the end of the day. It's basically the same sailing on the California Coast, or even at the Delta east of SF.
trance_dude

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth.. as the OP... IMHO: the "alternative" definition of sideshore wind was not really helpful here (although the discussion was certainly entertaining).

In addition to being very out of the ordinary and non-intuitive, it also fails to capture what I think is most important about wind direction. Windsurfers and kiters care about where the wind is coming from because:

- Safety: offshore wind is dangerous bc it can push you out to sea. Onshore wind can also be dangerous for kiters bc it can lift them onto land.

- Relation to waves: in the ocean we want to know the angle at which we will be approaching breaking surf. As mentioned the angle has a big effect on your ability to get out (read: not get creamed) and also what kind of waveriding you're doing on the way in.

With respect to relation to SWELL: yes, the "alternative" definition helps with that I guess, and one's relation to swell is certainly relevant to one's sailing. However, as @swchandler says, swell is most often going in the direction of the wind anyway. I can think of cases when it is not, like a big bay (say, Corpus Christi bay) where there is usually at least some swell heading towards shore regardless, kind of like waves, but without breaking. And the shape of a river or lake can twist or reflect swell. But for the most part swell comes from upwind. I do not see the point in calling that situation "onshore".

Swell is just not the same as waves. Waves break, and can break you and/or equipment. Not taking anything away from awesome Gorge sailors whatsoever or saying I am Mr. great windsurfer or anything. I'm just saying you cannot compare the two. It's more important to define onshore in terms of safety and waves than swell. In my opinion.

Not to open another can of worms... but... A concept which I think is more "malleable" on lakes/rivers is the concept of port vs. starboard tack. On a coast that is crystal clear. On a lake or river it is less clear, and in a perfectly symmetrical situation it could be completely ambiguous depending on which shore you are standing on. But, there are definitely days I've sailed on lakes/rivers where I've come back and said, that felt like port tack. In other words the conditions were better "set up" for port tack sailing / jumping etc. - even though the launch may have been on starboard tack.

Anyway thanks for all the responses they have been very helpful.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes, even in humble florida, we will get a swell coming from the NE or N, and a side shore S to SE wind. opposing wind and swell makes magic happen. wave power, gravity, and wind power combine.. makes for some seriously lit up wave rides.

more often, wind and waves are more in line....

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merriam wrote:
Doesn't onshore imply wind blowing towards the shore? Offshore blowing away from the shore? Sideshore blowing parallel to the shore? Not sure where you get your "definition" from.

No, because once you're clear of the shoreline, it is immaterial. It has to do with the relative direction of the wind vs that of the waves, not some coincidental piece of nearby land. Certainly it impacts sailing away from that shoreline, but once clear of that, it's back to the scenario Lee/Zirt described in his opening post above, which Angulo described as I've cited so many times as among the toughest of conditions, where the wind in your sail actually generates the waves/swell you're sailing on, as opposed to ocean waves whose direction is usually determined by larger, distant weather patterns. There are boards and fins labelled "onshore" for this scenario, and they do not refer to where the nearest piece of land happens to be.

Another way to look at it is on any body of water on which the local wind is generating the swell/waves in the same direction as the wind, but there are many shoreline orientations due to islands, a twisting shoreline, etc. The SAILING remains "onshore" despite the fact that land comes and goes nearby.

Yet another distinction might help: even wearing some glasses that limited your vision to, say, 50 feet while sailing some nice swell or waves, you could immediately tell whether the wind was "onshore", or "side-off", or "sideshore", or "offshore" simply by the relationship between the wind and wave directions, yet you wouldn't know whether there was a shoreline within miles.

OTOH, when one is standing on the shore of an ocean or a Great Lake, the term "offshore" takes on a whole new, life-threatening, meaning, but that is unrelated to this topic.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For onshore conditions, in many cases, having the right gear can determine whether you look like a hero or a zero. A bigger board, sail, and fin are all beneficial towards punching out through the surf. As others have said, wind coming at you combined with adverse current severely reduces your apparent wind speed. You are essentially trying to sail upwind on a conveyor that at is pulling you downwind while being knocked by waves.

These are conditions where having a wind SUP can be really beneficial. I've sailed in strong onshore conditions using my SUP when it easily would have been 100L short board weather if it were side shore. You need a board that will stay afloat when you come off plane (and you will) and which gives you the best opportunity for staying upwind.

Otherwise, persistence is the name of the game. Having solid waterstart skills and popping back up as quickly as possible after a knock down helps immensely. On the flip side, knowing when to bail is also crucial. If you get turned around sometimes it can be a lot more productive to shoot back into the beach, regroup, and start over rather than continuing to try to get out when it just isn't happening. In these conditions, no one gets out the first time every time.

sm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: