myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
wave sailing in onshore wind
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trance_dude

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
More than a few sailors enjoy the hell out of onshore conditions around here (the Gorge), 'cause it's all we get. Of course, we don't have the problem of water piling up at the beach and making it hard to get out, but once out it's all wind-and-"waves"-in-the-same-direction so the SAILING is like onshore ocean sailing. It's all about getting used to it.

Yeah for sure Gorge sailors are very experienced at having (very big) swell come at them from right upwind and doing all kinds of tricks on it.

Though I was asking more about breaking waves / surf - different dynamic there, your goal is to get out past breaking white water which can really knock you on your ass. Not that swell couldn't, of course. But wiith waves it is incredibly helpful to have side shore wind to generate momentum to get over them. The worst position is being not powered up and watching a wave about to break on you...

Last weekend at my local spot the wind was directly onshore for two days Fri and Sat. 20-30 on Fri but I wasn't able to go. Got there Sat and the wind had pushed the water (edge of the ocean) probably 50-100 meters inland. Water was coming into the parking lot... Then, the wind dies, of course... Didn't even get to sail. Grrrr
scargo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread. I too have a hard time getting through the shore break when the wind is dead onshore. One can bear off for speed, but that's of course counterproductive to getting outside. So often I go back and forth, getting pounded and only making slow progress upwind. And then when I'm finally on the outside, the last thing I want to do is intentionally get into that mess again.

The Naish video is really impressive . . . .
trance_dude

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scargo wrote:
Interesting thread. I too have a hard time getting through the shore break when the wind is dead onshore. One can bear off for speed, but that's of course counterproductive to getting outside. So often I go back and forth, getting pounded and only making slow progress upwind. And then when I'm finally on the outside, the last thing I want to do is intentionally get into that mess again.

The Naish video is really impressive . . . .

Right - that's what I'm talking about. It's just really slow going to get out bc on a given reach you get over maybe one wave and not that far upwind, and you also have two forces (wind and waves) pushing you strongly onshore. My friend says it's just a matter of picking your spots better, not making as many mistakes, not missing turns or falling (as others have also said in this thread). Well there's only one way to get better right... go sailing!
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the wind is truly directly onshore, you can just stay on the inside, between the rows of whitewater, riding in BOTH directions equally, pinching upwind in the flats, then heel turning hard upwind to get over a row of whitewater, immediately bearing off again to regain planing speed behind the whitewater.
Lots of guys at Ocean Beach San Francisco just stay on the inside, from Beach Chalet to as far as Taraval St. (1.5 miles), turn around and head back to Beach Chalet, all without ever getting outside the waves, heel side hopping over the incoming whitwater and bearing off behind it to get planing again.
Again, as said before, the key is a board that floats you and can get upwind, like a bump and jump board with a pointer fin.
At 150 lbs., I've mostly used 85 liter boards with upright fins for onshore and offshore wave conditions, sometimes in pretty big surf.
trance_dude

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks @zirtaeb. I'd like to try sailing Ocean Beach sometime. Have sailed in the SF area but not there. Given the wind direction at other SF sites I am not surprised OB is often onshore.

Yes, at 170-175 lbs, I prefer to sail with an 83L wave board but if I know the wind will be either light or from a weird direction I use a 96L all-around board.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good board sizing.....
The thing with sailing in surf and onshore winds, you should NOT worry about getting out past the waves. Because, if you do, it's hideous super bumpy disorgainized backwashing weirdo windsurfing, like Half Moon Bay on a S wind, next to the jetty.
Instead, sail INSIDE the big sets, in the smooth water between the whitewater, and you can find channels to pinch upwind and outwards between the rows of whitewater. The channels exist every block or so, since NO row of whitewater can be sustained for a distance of maybe a block without encountering a deep water OUTgoing current rip.
So, blast at full speed between the whitewater, jump the corner's on the other side of the outgoing deepwater rips, and ride the whitewater at speed in both directions carving heel side mostly, but bearing off downwind towards shore sometimes.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trance_dude wrote:
at 170-175 lbs, I prefer to sail with an 83L wave board but if I know the wind will be either light or from a weird direction I use a 96L all-around board.

At 160 lbs I'm on a 93 liter with a swept pointer, which helps on the heel-side hops Zirtaeb mentions.

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just sailed in strong side on conditions yesterday.

exo wave 105

sails: 6.8 phantom then 6.2 phantom. wind 22 - 30 45 degrees onshore.

why so lit? upwind planing power. was able to carve upwind or downwind to avoid jumping and stallling my plane.

trick to onshore: never stop planing.

phantoms are super stable and provide lots of adjustments to focus the right type of sail power.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
merriam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coachg[/quote]
AGAIN? God DAMMIT, people: "onshore wind" is DEFINED as wind and waves/swell generated BY that LOCAL wind moving in the same direction. How it is oriented to some nearby shoreline is IRRELEVANT once the sailor clears the shorebreak. I've quoted Josh Angulo's comment on it many times. It has to do with the relative direction of the wind vs the waves/swell, and does not address the obvious challenges of getting out through the resulting 90-degree shorebreak.[/quote]

I can't find this definition? Doesn't onshore imply wind blowing towards the shore? Offshore blowing away from the shore? Sideshore blowing parallel to the shore? Not sure where you get your "definition" from.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

onshore definition correct.

in very rare conditions, waves will refract around an obstacle. that may change orientation of waves relative to wind direction, BUT one has to consider likelihood vs reality.

for me, locally i have cape canaveral to both bless and curse swell angles and directions. flats offshore block/refract north and NE swells. and, somewhat amplify ESE swells (rare). tide influences these conditions tremendously.

again, my solution for onshore conditions: planing power. gear that helps? wave boards with less rocker. sails that remain stable when really lit.

how do the maui mindset gear choices help in onshore? NOT ONE FUGGING BIT. less battens = less stability. more rocker and fins = more drag, and less acceleration. been there, tried it all. side off gear stinks in onshore conditions. YET, onshore stuff worx 92-95% as good as maui stuff in side off.

moral of this thread: buy the gear that is MOST appropriate to your conditions. not some propaganda bullshit. number of people windsurfing on sunday in central florida? over 50. number in the surf? 3. how many parroting maui BS? far too many, sailing their wave gear in a tame flat water venue.

maybe i am ranting too much. i just see people getting suckered into buying the fashionista crap and sailing less because of it.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: