myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Photo 30k feet of the recent SoCa/Baja Norte storm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Photo 30k feet of the recent SoCa/Baja Norte storm Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

I was flying back from Baja Saturday through the cloudy aftermath of the strong, damaging and deadly Southern California/Baja Norte storm on Friday. There was torrential, out of season, rain at the Los Cabos airport when I took off. But by the time the plane was near the California border we were flying through the trailing convective edge of the storm over a golden sunset as you can see in the photo below.

Notice the explosive convective action apparent in the clouds. This type of formation creates powerful rain below the clouds. This storm created weak southerly variable wind for Baja's East Cape but like clock work they are seeing El Norte winds today.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
Weatheflow.com

BajaSoCalStormSM.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  101.68 KB
 Viewed:  7206 Time(s)

BajaSoCalStormSM.jpg

BajaStorm30Ksm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  93.71 KB
 Viewed:  7206 Time(s)

BajaStorm30Ksm.jpg

jfeehan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a cool photo.

About 15 or 20 years ago i was flying from Seattle to NYC, and about half way through the flight the .pilot came on the speaker and said we would be late arriving in NYC because we had to detour around one of the tallest convective systems he had ever seen.

Then, about a day or two later, the NY Times had an article - i guess in their weather section - about this particular system, and the unusual height it achieved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: