myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
I need a large WindSUP Foil Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: I need a large WindSUP Foil Board Reply with quote

I want to get into SUP Foiling and I want to be able to use it with a sail too.

The problem is I don't think they make what I want yet.

My current WindSUP is a BIC 10'6". I feel it is a good size, although sometimes I wish I had the larger one to catch waves even easier when paddling. The type of wave I ride is a very long rolling gentle wave, and the big boards make those easier to catch.

I see some WindSUP Foil boards on the market at 120L. This sounds way too small for me, as I can't imagine trying to SUP on a 120L board. My BIC is 185L and it feels right, although if I purchased it again I would go for the even larger 11'6" at 215L.

Has anyone heard of a WindSUP Foil Board around 185L or larger?

I believe it will work as Kai Lenny was riding a pretty large board in his first epic video of SUP foiling, and it seems to me the larger board will still catch waves easier and be more stable, even with the foil.
rhorton1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard nothing but rave reviews of the Hammer wind-sup. I would call and ask about this foil conversion.

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2016/07/foil-board.html#.WHxYJ1xtii4

Since the boards are built in-house, I would think you can order any foil attachment method you like (tuttle box or twin US-fin boxes). Prices look comparable to any of the big-name SUP boards, and build quality looks impeccable.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, they do look like good boards. However, I would prefer something that is tested and perfected.

From what I read the balance once up is key, and if everything is not balanced right I am concerned it could make foiling harder.

This is one of the challenges I am finding. I don't want to buy a board and have it adapted to use a foil that I buy separately.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AHD has been foiling for some time
but once again with smaller boards - volume and length
they also started offering foiling with their SeaLions
again - max volume and "short" is about 125 liters and 7'6"
have heard or read somewhere they were working on a larger version
(perhaps when they were visiting Andy @ Hatteras ??)
rollerrider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Good luck with that one. Might end up as a jack of all trades master of none situation. A classic size SUP built strong enough to windsurf AND foil would be a tank. Maybe get a couple boards and a bigger van.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is something that i am looking forward to.

pic at top of page is filler.

if rocker is a planing one, i may fall madly in love.

http://www.exocet-original.com/en/windsup-ride-8-11.php

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
AG80

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would second at least a discussion with Warren at Supsports. I was looking for an around windsup to replace my Fanatic Fly and ended up buying a Hammer Windsup 9-5. I am very happy with the purchase. Very stable and tracks as well as the fly. It is much lighter, turns better and sails better than the fly . I think it would make for a good foil board.

You might also contact Dwight at SupSurf machines. He has a board he made specifically for a foil.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have tried windsurfing foils without straps. hasn't done a lot for me.

those that have been using boards with straps seem to be sticking with it more.

part of my problem with any of them is access to easy deep water launches.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brynkaufman2 wrote:
I would prefer something that is tested and perfected.

If boards ... or cars or pencils or wimmen or dogs or beer ... could be perfected, we'd all be on the same one without any room for personal choice or purpose.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollerrider, the Naish Malolo SUP Foilboard that Kai Lenny used to show people what can be done with a paddle and a foil board is 210L, so a tank.

My feeling is if he can do that with a paddle, I can do it with a small sail as I find it much easier to stay on a board when holding the sail and I can also go much faster than paddling, even on a slow light wind day.

Unfortunately the Malolo is SUP only, which is interesting given Naish's background in Windsurfing.

Anyway, I like riding tanks. My current board is the Kona Carb One, and I love it. It is 220L, so what you would consider a tank, but for me it planes in the lightest wind I have ever planed in, and it goes faster through the chop than other boards I have tried. As I don't jump, early planing and a high top speed are my two board requirements, and this tank is the best I have used doing those two things. It also easily catches any swells and rides them nicely.

I don't expect to be winning races against Kite foilers and regular Windsurfers like the NeilPryde RS-Flight foil board did.

http://www.neilpryde.com/blog/sebastian-kornum-wins-long-distance-race-on-neilpryde-foil.html

The board I want would be for no wind catching waves as easily as possible, and light wind catching waves and getting on the foil as easy as possible. If I want high speed performance foiling I will get the NeilPryde setup in May.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: