myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
A Problem?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure that there are plenty of people that spend more time on the water than me, but there could well be some misleading or overstated estimates. I have recorded every session since 2005 on a GPS, including moving time, av. speed, top speed and distance. The last four years I have only got in 40 sessions a year. The prior few years, I got in 90 sessions a year.

Session means a day on the water including breaks.
Moving time means that the board(me) is moving. Sitting/standing in one spot without moving, the GPS stops recording time.

The longest day I found was in 2006 on a formula board - 220 minutes or 3:40.

My most recent (last few years) longest day was on 12/29/16 where I spent 2:03 moving on a 6.0 & 5.2 on a 105L board (very flat water).

Several other sessions in the 2-3 hour range, but my average session is between one and two hours.

I call it a day when: the wind dies, I get tired and sloppy, the day comes to an end, I had enough to get my "fix".

I stay in pretty good shape, but with age, I have my limits.
wdsurf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Age@sailing in the cold Reply with quote

One month from being 62 years old youngster compared to you guys!!been doing it for over 30 was out 3 times in the last week of December our windiest month of the year always on Lake Erie I got a safe fun onshore venue with chest deep water so I go!

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  557.43 KB
 Viewed:  10235 Time(s)

image.jpeg

isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Session means a day on the water including breaks.

The longest day I found was in 2006 on a formula board - 220 minutes or 3:40.

my average session is between one and two hours.

I call it a day when: the wind dies, I get tired and sloppy, the day comes to an end, I had enough to get my "fix".

I stay in pretty good shape, but with age, I have my limits.

By your definition, many if not most of my midsummer "sessions" exceed 14 hours: Put on my wetsuit and hit the water < 6 AM if the wind's good, sail/rig/eat until it's too dark to see the shore, remove my wetsuit, get some supper, and hit the sack with my gear on the lawn ready to wash, rinse, and repeat the next day. (And this is on very windy days with big swell and small sinkers, else why lose so much sleep over it?) Whether that includes 10 hours of sailing or just 5 hours depends on the wind quality + whether it's the first or third such day in a row. Age has impacted my endurance on the second successive such day, but nutrition tweaks can very significantly reduce that impact.

As for "getting my fix", I sail hardest between roughly 6 PM and dark (9:30 midsummer) because I know it's gonna end within an hour past sunset. If I've "had my fix" or want to quit while the wind is still good, I'm doing something wrong, such as not sailing aggressively enough, and I push myself even harder. That fixes the problem.

How is my success related to GT's question or to others' responses? Simple: it proves that age alone isn't sufficient to grind us to a halt, at least not by our early 70s. Proper nutrition and conditioning go a LONG ways towards compensating for age, at least until our connective tissues, especially collagen, let us down in our 70s or 80s. It has long been not just my intent but my specific action PLAN to overcome any truly age-dependent decline with nutrition and conditioning, hanging up my toys only when forced by events beyond my control. That plan has worked exceedingly well so far, and is still being tweaked as I learn more about both factors.
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso,

No doubt you are on the water A LOT more than me, and if I had easy, close access to good sailing, I would be in much better sailing condition and add a lot more time to my sessions. I envy anyone that is in outstanding shape & gets their fill of windsurfing.

My prior point is that spending a day sailing for some may seem like they were on the water moving for hours on end, when in reality, it is much less than they think.

There's no doubt about my moving time.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
I envy anyone that is in outstanding shape & gets their fill of windsurfing.

My prior point is that spending a day sailing for some may seem like they were on the water moving for hours on end, when in reality, it is much less than they think.

There's no doubt about my moving time.

I WISH I got my fill of WSing. Even when living in a van chasing wind for months at a time around here, that almost never happens. In fact, I recall only once in my life* while there was still good quality wind saying to myself, "I've had enough; I quit" ... not on a day, not in a season, not on the Maui trip (1988) when I caught 35 straight days of 2.8 to 5.0 (mostly 3.7) wind.

* That one time was on Day II of dawn-til-dark full Gorge nuke winds. I crapped out around noon on the second day after > 6 hours of sailing alone at Doug's vastly overpowered on my 3.2 AFTER sailing the same stuff at the Hatch for >10 hours the previous day until 9:30 PM. EVERY other time packing more fuel and water renewed my lagging carcass, even including this past summer of record Gorge winds.

As for getting in shape for WSing, WSing is how to do it; the gym is a distant second. Even in the gym, I see VERY few people, WAY less than 3 percent, doing anything close to getting in shape for that kind or amount of exercise. I see far more talking and arm-waving and jogging than actual hard work, with VERY few people increasing their mitochondria count or capillary density. Even fewer know how to eat for it, and more pros are still learning every month how to eat for endurance. (I'm still experimenting and reading how to keep it up on Day II. That's important at 73.) What works at 80, I don't know.

Nobody dies of old age, or cancer, or diabetes. MILLIONS, however, die from what those things do our bodies. In most cases, the knowledge exists and most individuals have the capacity to both raise and extend our QOL for decades beyond what is simply handed to us without strings. Genes help ... but then we can measurably alter and/or overcome many of our genes in a matter of weeks if we try. They are just trends, or suggestions, not fate.

Heck, nobody handed me my "easy, close access to good sailing", either. I had to work my ass off, work some serious magic, make some huge sacrifices, and pull some serious strings to accomplish that ... and it's still FAR from ideal.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about things, a different mind set has taken hold theses last several years. N.W. prefers quality over quantity, but I now find the opposite.

With three seperate obsessions to satisfy (windsurfing, kayaking, and biking) I feel compelled to out 'doing', every single day. Fortunately, stamina is not an issue since I rarely nowadays exceed about 7 tenths effort in any of them, except for just an occasional all out effort for a couple of hours, so a good nights sleep is usually all the recovery/rest time needed to keep it up. (About one day every ten or so off for essential chores- house etc.)

Strangely, some otherwise quite average days stick in my mind and are fondly remembered. It's all down to how I was feeling at the time. One such, and on/off moderate planing day with a rainy sky had me feeling inordinately pleased with myself, and life, because I felt that the effort involved, regardless of reward, was confirmation of what life has come to mean for me, and I was up and running and still fully capable of doing it!

I suppose what I'm saying is that I'm now a bomber pilot, droning away on a routine mission, and no longer a fighter pilot ace, all flash and show. (And pulled muscles, torn ligaments, crocked backs, and forced premature retirement! Wink )
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2016, in my 33rd year of board sailing, at the age of 73 I had my largest ever number of sessions, 126.

In spite of a few diminished abilities my level of contentment continues to increase. That is not a matter of getting higher highs. Maybe windsurfing actually gives me a less intense pleasure than it did 20 years ago. Whatever the chemical changes are, the pleasure function I need windsurfing to fulfill is smaller than it used to be. I am more satisfied in the rest of my life (or just less irritated) so the contentment level windsurfing achieves for me is higher than it was. Think of that as similar to someone who now finds half the pay is more than adequate because the expenses went down by two thirds. (That was just an example, maybe my windsurfing “pay” didn’t go down at all.

I am and always have been much lazier than Isobars. Perhaps I've always been less affected by adrenaline, dopamine, ecetera. Or maybe my particular expression of determination was always aroused by something else.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a doctor, your career offers a whole different set of obligations and priorities than mine did. That, or you're simply not as obsessed as I. Very Happy
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passionate, without the blessings or aggravations of obsession, and not a doctor. Hoping to stretch my 33 seasons to 50, at least 3 more than Jim Drake. (An unlikely dream.)
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DelCarpenter wrote:
... and not a doctor.

Oops! I thought you were a pediatrician.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: