myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ezzy 7.5 Infinity
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Ezzy 7.5 Infinity Reply with quote

Looking to get a 2006 Ezzy 7.5 Infinity. Does anyone have any experience with this sail. What are some pro`s and con`s of this sail and best rigging advise paired up with a 460 mast that has a 50% carbon rating.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, only have the 6.6 Infinity, circa '06.
Great sail, as fast and rangy as anything on the market, sorta shorter booms and a lot of extra useless head, but it's a great rangy fast sail.
Rigging takes a bit more time, as you need to loosen the cam battens on the older ones like mine, but talking 30 seconds each for two.
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ezzy 7.5 Infinity Reply with quote

atlas.wave55 wrote:
Looking to get a 2006 Ezzy 7.5 Infinity. Does anyone have any experience with this sail. What are some pro`s and con`s of this sail and best rigging advise paired up with a 460 mast that has a 50% carbon rating.

I have 2006 Ezzy Infinity 6.6. It is great sail. Can be used with 2 cams, one cam or no cams. Very wide range of winds. The rigging instructions should be on the manufacturer website.
http://www.ezzy.com/rig-support/all-years-ezzy-sails/
One important thing to pay attention to is the size of the cam pockets. They should be individually selected for a mast you are going to use with the sail.
The sail comes with bunch of cams and cam pockets of various sizes. Ezzy also sels this set. http://www.ezzy.com/accessories/ezzy-cam-spacer-booklet/

Good luck!

Andrei
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 7.2 Infinity from that year or close to it.......I always enjoyed it, still do . I recently bought a 2014 Cheetah 7.5 and it performs just about the same maybe a little softer feel.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugly Bird...
We both missed out on a used '08 Infinity 6.6 on Windance's used gear section, for 120 and in very good condition...B+ and no creases at the window above the boom at the luff. I'd just gotten mine a month prior, middle of the season, so didn't use anything nearly the size of a 6.6 until one day before I saw the ad. Oh well....
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want a 10YO Cammed sail, that when new.. performed better for me without cams. The carbon content of the mast is not as important as the mast bend curve, most will work , it wants a constant curve.

I would look for a newer Cheetah . Not Lion either.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, I like the fact that 95% of the sail is X-ply which should hold up on me for a long time and with the two cam's it sounds like it can be powerful. I am looking to use this sail as my light wind sail for around 18km, I weigh 140lbs. Do you think I could get up on my 110 or 100L boards with this sized sail if I wanted to do some light wind wave sailing?
Has anyone tried a small board with a big sail?
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I expain this to my satisfaction, then yours.
Their is a combo of sail size, board size, and sailor weight. The intended use of where and how , plays into this as well, that is ideal, ideal largest size.( Formula a different venue)

At some point , and the lines will cross when you change the components like sail size board size etc: that with a larger sail the return for increased performance is deminished to the point it is so minimal that spending $ towards gear is not practical , the return not worth it.

A 7.5 in waves is too big, IMO the 7.5 itself may be too big for your weight it is the largest I would consider at any rate. The 7.5 on the 100l IMO , is too large.
Given your very light weight , I'm 155, I offer those.

I would not consider a 7.5 in waves, not a cammed sail ever there, not a cammed sail , had both Lion and Infinity , EVER.

For the 100 , something like a 6.5 or 6.9 Ezzy wave sail , or anything other than cammed.
You should plane, perform well in the wind you mention.
A better performing mast is desirable, more carbon, less weight.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of us have tried small boards with big sails (think 80 ltrs with
a 6.5), and frankly it isn't very satisfying, but a 110 ltr wide board should
carry a 7.5 with a big enough skeg. This is sort of a slalom mentality
though, and not particularly good for waves. If you're going big with a
wave sail, you should get something that's dedicated as a large wave sail
like a Super Freak.

-Craig

atlas.wave55 wrote:
Do you think I could get up on my 110 or 100L boards with this sized sail if I wanted to do some light wind wave sailing?
Has anyone tried a small board with a big sail?
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly my RRD FSW 100 can handle a 7 meter sail very easily, and I"ve used a 7.4 Loft on it with success, with a 36 cm freeride fin.
My 109 JPSS easily handles bigger sails.
My 96 liter Hi Fly Free doesn't like anything bigger than 7 meters, while my 95 liter Excocet Speed Slalom easily carries a 7.5 meter sail.
For wave use, dump the cams.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: