myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is older gear worth anything?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottybda

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup!!
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Older gear is worth a ride, but not worth any green.

-Craig
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it difficult to understand Slinky, how polyethelene Tiga boards of yesteryear can still be in constant use. Every poly board I ever owned compacted and delaminated (flexible poly skin over foam core) over time and use, especially in surf.,or the battering in heavy chop.

And do they really compare performance wise with modern composite boards, for us ORDINARY competent windsurfers? I'm all for nostalgia and using older boards now and again by way of variation (have and still use several, and some are 20+ years old) but it's always nice to step back on a more modern board.

Perhaps that's the difference. Those who constantly change between old and new see the real picture.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have my Tiga 263 Poly board purchased new in ????. Not used very often because the volume is in the 80+L range. Where I sail it's usually gusty and not in the 4.5 + wind range where the board works well. It's heavy, but smooth riding. The pointed long nose takes getting used to, but no issues with delamination,likely because it hasn't been use much. New traps on it are worth more than the board. Sad.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they last if not over used, and are kept out of the sun (warping), so good luck with it Techno.

But to take an obvious comparison between good old, and good new(ish) I compare my early Mistral Screamer (durable carbon composite construction) 103 litre (1989) with my Mistral Syncro 104 litre (2005).

Both are (were) satisfying mid range 'do it alls' in typical 6.0 metre sail size winds. In a nutshell, the Screamer is better in the higher part of the intended wind range for such boards (especially in chop and at speed with smaller sails -though I'd be on a smaller modern higher wind board by preference) , and the Syncro is more versatile and better performing in the middle and lower end of the intended wind range.

It's that versatility which makes me appreciate it as the better board. Forget jumping and ultimate speed (the Screamer a bit better), it's satisfaction and smile on face that I value the Syncro for.

So if I had to choose (though the Screamer construction will likely outlast me) the Syncro would be the one.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would choose an ENERGY over a Screamer or Syncro, '93 versions.
Much faster, shorter, easier to jibe (planing jibes), and jumps much higher.
scottybda

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a brand new Mistral Eruption, thinking I need to put footstraps on her and give a go. Looks pretty sporty to be honest! Cool
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad, needed a bit of wind, with the narrow squash tail and tons of nose kick. Also, most weighed a lot, and 18lbs with 3 straps just doesn't plane up even for a high wind board. Gold/yellow were lighter than red ones.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
Older gear is worth a ride, but not worth any green.

-Craig

i.e., it's priceless.
I don't care what stuff costs, only how well it works for my sailing style and venue.
For people who DO care about cost: how many of them have OFTEN sold a board for what they paid for it (and a couple of times for a HUGE profit) after years of use ... and the buyer still got a good deal because it worked so damned well for his style and venue?
How many people consider their $20 boards as good on the water -- the only place that counts -- as their excellent $2,600 boards? Those advantages are worth some green to many buyers. Ya just gotta find those buyers, and what place is better for that than the venue where those boards excel?
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True of just about anything bought and sold, but I wouldn't buy a board
based on my ability to sell the thing. If I like the board, I usually ride it
into the ground, if I don't like it, it's sold by the next season. I have a
$50 Logosz that is a very sweet ride though not quite as versatile as my OO.
It was bought virtually unridden probably 15 years after it was built. I
bought it because I had one just like it that I rode until the fin box and strap
areas were like jello. So heck yeh old boards are worth a ride, but don't
sell for much (in my experience). Late model boards on the other hand tend
to sell reasonably easily and at least have some monetary value.

-Craig

isobars wrote:

i.e., it's priceless.
I don't care what stuff costs, only how well it works for my sailing style and venue.
For people who DO care about cost: how many of them have OFTEN sold a board for what they paid for it (and a couple of times for a HUGE profit) after years of use ... and the buyer still got a good deal because it worked so damned well for his style and venue?
How many people consider their $20 boards as good on the water -- the only place that counts -- as their excellent $2,600 boards? Those advantages are worth some green to many buyers. Ya just gotta find those buyers, and what place is better for that than the venue where those boards excel?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: