myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sandy Hook Friday 12/9.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derikthin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Sandy Hook Friday 12/9..... Reply with quote

Thinking about going down to the hook on Friday for what may very well be my last time before the snow falls. Was wondering if anyone else is thinking the same thing?

I'd be open to head somewhere else, provided there is not terrible traffic. I've always thought about doing the Long Island thing but the thought of hitting the traffic coming back gives me ulcers haha.

Any-who, hope to see some folks out there. Last time it was so lonely.

Derik A
rswabsin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately since its a work day for most, you'll likely have no company to sail with at the Hook. But if your motivated to drive a little further south, consider sailing at Seaside (launch is at the end of 24th ave in big gravel lot). The water there is nice and shallow (waist deep) pretty much everywhere when sailing northwest winds so its really safe when sailing by yourself. You can walk back in from pretty much anywhere unless your out beyond the middle of the bay. Plus the water conditions are quite flat here with very small chop and its great for learning/experimenting. No need to travel to Long Island.

Rob
Derikthin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard about that spot a lot but I've never been.

So I can park in that little gravel lot and launch on the left side of that Wooden rail thats in the parking lot?
rswabsin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's correct. You might have a few kiters for company and possibly a sailor or two. When the wind has a little more west in it you sail more parallel to Island Beach State park which is really picturesque this time of year. Even though you might be sailing solo - the intimidation factor is very low here since the chop is mello even in higher winds and its shallow. Hope you catch a good day tomorrow.

Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: