myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Relocation information

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akduck

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Relocation information Reply with quote

Looking to tap the collective wisdom of the group. I grew up windsurfing but stopped in my twenties. Moved to Alaska and have lived up here for over 25 years. I’ve rekindled my love for windsurfing and I’ve been fortunate to be able to enjoy traveling to Hood River for a couple of weeks each summer for the last coupe of years.. My wife and I are beginning to consider retirement and are thinking of moving from Alaska to the Pacific Northwest. I’d like to move to a location where I can pursue my renewed interest in windsurfing. Obviously Hood River is a possible relocation site but I was wondering if there were other places I should be considering in the Pacific Northwest. I don’t need to sail everyday, but I’d like to sail in a community. Thanks for any insight you’re willing to share.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiny community, NimKish Lake.
Small community, Squamish Lake.
Huge community, Hood River.
Small community, S coast of Oregon.
Tiny community, N coast of California.
akduck

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight!
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEARCH the forum with keywords such as ... hmmmm ... Hood River, TriCities, White Salmon, relocation, moving, schools, etc. You'll find many scores of posts with a lot of information.

The one question your post triggers for me is what you mean by "sailing in a community". If you mean, "with other people " ... NOT TO WORRY; The problem is overcrowding, not finding sailing buddies. If you mean "sailing IN town" ... that's possible, but it eliminates most of the best spots. If you mean ""in organized events", that's certainly available but cuts out a TON of sailing.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Relocation information Reply with quote

Maui still has a fairly large sailing community. Alaska to Maui. That'd be a change.

-Craig

p.s. I'm a Hood River fan myself.

akduck wrote:
Looking to tap the collective wisdom of the group. I grew up windsurfing but stopped in my twenties. Moved to Alaska and have lived up here for over 25 years. I’ve rekindled my love for windsurfing and I’ve been fortunate to be able to enjoy traveling to Hood River for a couple of weeks each summer for the last coupe of years.. My wife and I are beginning to consider retirement and are thinking of moving from Alaska to the Pacific Northwest. I’d like to move to a location where I can pursue my renewed interest in windsurfing. Obviously Hood River is a possible relocation site but I was wondering if there were other places I should be considering in the Pacific Northwest. I don’t need to sail everyday, but I’d like to sail in a community. Thanks for any insight you’re willing to share.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand there is a nice windsurfing group sailing Lake Washington in the Seattle area, mostly or frequently on longboards.
wmike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DelCarpenter wrote:
I understand there is a nice windsurfing group sailing Lake Washington in the Seattle area, mostly or frequently on longboards.

This is true for the light winds, but when the storms come through there are many more out on short boards. Many places to sail in Puget Sound and Lake Washington.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: