myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Election 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
swchandler said:
Quote:
Do I spend a lot of time worrying about folks not paying their taxes? Not really, because that's their responsibility.

While I don't spend time worrying about this, I also hate to pay higher taxes because many others in the cash business world avoid paying their share.

In cash based businesses, many illegals send their money back to Mexico or other Central American countries, so the money doesn't stay in our economy. I think this is something that Trump will address to discourage illegals.

BTW, this is how Trump is going to get Mexico to pay for the wall. He's going to tax money sent to Mexico by illegals here.
techno900

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler said:
Quote:
techno900, you pay income taxes based on your income, less any legitimate write-offs you can claim. What you've said above is simply BS that has no basis in fact. But, maybe you can show me the line on your tax returns where you are being assessed for others avoiding their income tax obligations.

BS? The taxes I pay are based upon my income and the TAX RATE for my income group. How do you think the tax rate is determined, and for what reason? Maybe if everyone actually paid their full tax amount, my tax rate would be smaller.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dream on. The idea that tax rates are defined by balancing out those that do or don't pay taxes is pure fantasy. How do you explain when tax rates go down, like they did under Bush and Obama? Trump wants to lower tax rates even further. Is that because he will make sure that no one will be cheating on their taxes?
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk about dreaming on? How about a nightmare instead. In Canada the latest stats show that the underground economy translates into $41B, and the US is 10 times the population, and have a far greater problem with illegal immigrants, and I would argue an attitude of "selfish greed" than we do....so you do the math. My business competes in an industry where cash deals are made constantly. Even with my poor math logic ,as someone idiot has mentioned from time to time, I've done the cost analysis of this problem for my business. I wrote an article in an industry magazine about how to profit from tax ethics, and asked to speak on this subject twice now.

You can justify not paying taxes at point of sale for services any way you like, but the reality is it is illegal, and does take taxes away from government programs. In a country like mine, where our health care comes from everyone contributing to the system, you sure as hell are committing a crime, against everyone.

Everyone can do as they please, but when I see homeowners and contractors evading taxes and defrauding the tax system that provides the health care that we all have equal access to....hell ya, I'm going to report you....to the revenue agency, the the town to make sure you got permits, to the electrical safety authourity, to worker's compensation, and every other agency. I have them all on a contacts list and it takes less than five minutes to report.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NP, it seems that you would like to be a cop of sorts muckraking for the state. Why have a business in construction when you could have a job chasing after tax criminals?

Seriously, it's laughable that you would question my integrity, and suggest that I'm somehow knowingly supporting tax criminals in my everyday life.

I think that most citizens are honest and live responsibly within the boundaries of the law. Of course, there are dishonest folks out there for their own profit, and we are always endlessly fighting to stem their growth.

With Donald Trump's election, I'm much more worried about the dishonest profit seekers being instituted in government. One only needs to look at his nominees for his cabinet and administration to see how we'll potentially move in the wrong direction.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, to the tune of $41B (here), citizens have the ability to rationalize not pay taxes that are due. In one year, for me and my small business with gross revenue between $1-1.5M that equaled $365,000 (that I knew about). Ya, I'll police that when it's a problem. I now tell people flat out that I DO NOT do cash over the phone, and have that written on my Facebook page, but they still ask. Most citizens are honest about how they pay taxes? Funny!
techno900

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler,

The only fantasy here is of your making. While I didn't spend lot of time looking for tax fraud figures, here is one estimate. Now tell me that the amount of my tax rate isn't impacted by those gaming the system.

Quote:
Think tax evasion is a small problem? The Tax Justice Network released a report in November 2011 that showed that in the U.S., tax evasion amounts to $337.3 billion a year.

This was based on numbers from 1999 to 2006, and could be even higher in recent years as the weak economy may have led more people to hide money from the government. For example, the average tax refund decreased by $100 in 2011, maybe people are reporting less income in order to keep more of their money.

It’s hard to wrap my head around how much money that is. Congress was recently unable to agree on a plan to reduce the national deficit by $1 trillion over 10 years. Over the same time period, tax evasion will cost us well over $3.3 trillion.

I’m a big proponent of everyone following the tax rules. When we don’t, it means that everyone else has to pick up the slack. Because of this fraud, tax rates are likely higher and future generations will be paying for current expenses

http://sweatingthebigstuff.com/tax-evasion-costs-over-300-billion-each-year/
mac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Techno that tax evasion is a big deal. Has he noticed which party has cut funding for enforcement?
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900, do you believe everything you read on the internet? While I wouldn't argue that tax evasion isn't a serious problem for the IRS, and the different states that tax income, the idea that we pay higher tax rates because of it is BS. Look, there is no proof at all in the sweatingthebigstuff website to support their statement. None at all.

Again, I raise my point about the tax cuts implemented during the Bush Administration, and later made permanent for most folks by the Obama Administration. Because of the irresponsible decision to cut taxes, our deficit and debt has grown substantially over the last 14-15 years. Outside of the increases that the Obama Administration implemented for wealthier taxpayers, did taxes go up to somehow stem our growing debt? Now, Trump is promising to lower tax rates further for most Americans. Is anyone taking action to increase tax rates because of tax evasion? Not at all. If any action is taken to stem tax evasion, it will be a result of rule changes and stricter enforcement policies. State governments did it to address and collect sales taxes for out of state purchases, particularly those resulting from buys on the internet.

Let's stick to the facts, and avoid fact free statements pulled out of the air.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who doesn't want E verify?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 28 of 30

Jump to: