myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bay Area quiver
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B-Man_6.5

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Bay Area quiver Reply with quote

What are the most common sail sizes used in the SF Bay Area and if one had to limit their quiver to three sails, what would they be. Also, what would be the most appropriate all around board for a 190lb intermediate sailor?

Thanks for the advice!
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be 3.5-5.5, if you sail at the higher wind spots.
It can be 4.5-11, if you sail the lighter wind spots.
Boards can easily be 80-100 liters.
Or, they can be 100-240 liters.
If you sail Shoreline Park, you most used sail might be an 8.5.
If you sail Candlestick in the Spring, your most used sail might be a 4.0.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Area quiver Reply with quote

kbmotylenski wrote:
What are the most common sail sizes used in the SF Bay Area and if one had to limit their quiver to three sails, what would they be. Also, what would be the most appropriate all around board for a 190lb intermediate sailor?

Thanks for the advice!

At 160 pounds I have for B&J (85L)

(3.7 1%)
4.3 20%
5.0 80%

and for slalom (100-110L):

6.0 10%
6.6 90%

At your weight I would get two boards: a 90L B&J and a 115 Freerace/ride. And 3 sails: 4.5 and 5.3 wave, and a 7.0 Freerace. That will cover 95% of conditions.

Last edited by dvCali on Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
VinceSF

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Area quiver Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:

At your weight I would get two boards: a 90L B&J and a 115 Freerace/ride. And 3 sails: 4.5 and 5.3 wave, and a 7.0 Freerace. That will cover 95% of conditions.

I think this is spot on!
If you don't do/want freerace equipment, and love high wind I would replace the 7.0 with a 4.0.
If you are into slalom stuff, a 7.8 race sail is the call.
If you plan on trying out the coast a 90L freestyle/wave board might be better suited.
B-Man_6.5

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll be getting my feet wet at more intermediate locales like Larkspur and Berkeley to work on skills and as the ability increases adjust accordingly.
B-Man_6.5

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if anyone is in the market to sell that kind of setup or similar, please let me know. Thanks!
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both those spots require a relatively tough slog to get to the windline, so probably drop the 100 liter idea and go for 105+ on the small board, and go 120 + or - for your big board. Get a high control, lower speed type of board.
Freeride boards require more power to get planing, so plan on bigger sails for them.
Plenty of used gear in the shop ads and in classified.
windoggi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No slog at Berkeley if you sail from the point. No slog at pt Isabel. Zirteab sails from the dead cove in Berkeley so slogging is normal. 95L and a 5.5 is my regular rig. 115 and a 6.2 sometimes and a 85 with a 4.5 sometimes. I'm 175ish.
B-Man_6.5

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a 115 to 120L Freeride, what would you guys suggest? I currently ride a Bic Techno 283 so it seems like I'll be unloading that.
carl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about your same weight and used to sail Berkeley and Pt Isabel a lot.
I actually like Isabel better, launch is easier and there usually no slogging
at the launch, check it out. The wind and chop is about the same at either.
I would defiantly keep the Techno for light wind, it can handle a 9.0 sail (you're not getting much $ for the board anyway) Then get a smaller board to compliment, maybe 100L to 115L. I would demo some boards first before I bought to see what your comfortable with. A lot depends if you can reliably water start? Even if you can water start there is no "all around" board for a 190 lbs sailor in SF bay. Any one board will be a compromise (too big for higher wind or too small to slog or up haul). That is why most larger folks carry 2 or more boards. Some advanced sailors have learned to slog on small boards, but it takes a lot of practice. Smaller very experienced people (like Zirtaeb who is maybe 150lbs) can float on really small hi-wind boards so they can get by with one small board. Boardsports at Coyote Point has demo boards.
As for sails, I mostly used 6.0 and 7.0 at Berkeley and Isabel, get a 5.0 for the occasional high wind and if you want to sail light wind, get a 8.5 or 9.0.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: