myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
exocet x-wave 129 review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:00 am    Post subject: exocet x-wave 129 review Reply with quote

yes, i am an exocet team rider.

yes, i sail in some pretty real world, humble conditions. weigh 212 lbs, and need/want lots of wind power.

yesterday, wind was supposed to be 18-25 20 degrees side on. waves were 10 foot at peaks and shoulders went for up to half a mile. who was out? me and 6 kiters. wind was 12-20. waves were glassy as they formed up, and widely spaced.

sail chosen, 7.5 phantom. slogged out thru break very easily. planed up outside in higher puffs. that was not my major priority. putting myself in the right spot was far more important.

most rides were classic onshore pocket rides. some were well worth the grind back upwind. board performs great in both applications. have yet to use in classically perfect side off conditions. but for a fairly typical wave day, yesterday was enhanced by having a powerful board that allowed lots of ability to work the whole gambit of opp's to have fun.

at 8'10" long it enables the board to do 2 things quite well: sail off the wind thru somewhat flatter wave sections. slog out thru untenable situations that shorter boards cannot make cope with.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts on where it fits in the quiver relative to your 11'5 and whatever your next smaller one is?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

11'5" worx from 4-10 side off, 6-26 side on. 8-26 onshore. grabs waves earliest of all that i have currently.

129 needs 7+ for side off. 10+ side on. 15+ onshore.

105 needs 12+ for side off. 16+ side on. 20+ onshore.

lots of overlap in the middle means lots of opp's to stay on the water instead of changing gear when conditions change all too often here in florida.

i use wind ranges to describe the 11'5" merely to indicate that it is my ultimate go to board when wind is really challenging in gustiness and wind angles.

each has upwind planing power galore for nearly untenable wind angles than virtually everything else i have used.

rswabsin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Couple questions on the X-Wave 129.

- What fin arrangement do you use most? Do you run the stock thruster set-up with your 7.5 and other large sails or did you use a larger single fin.

- How does the 129 feel when the wind picks up to full planning conditions? Does it get a bit large and bouncy feeling?

- Does the 129 give you enough float and stability to uphaul easily?

Thanks,
Rob
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- What fin arrangement do you use most? Do you run the stock thruster set-up with your 7.5 and other large sails or did you use a larger single fin.

answer: original kona, now x-longboard, 11'5" came with a perfect fin for me for it and 129. link not available yet. long chord, 30 dolphin rake, wave fin. hydrotech. i am not a multifin fan. i tend to set a rail in most of my turns. although, i do slide and slash at the top.... i need upwind planing power.

- How does the 129 feel when the wind picks up to full planning conditions? Does it get a bit large and bouncy feeling?

answer: only as any board might, if conditions change drastically. one time during the tropical system prior to matthew, wind went from light and puffy side off to 20 degrees side on and much stronger. perfect lines turned to moguls.... current was wicked strong, probably would have used same board and 5.8 instead of 6.8 the light offshore wind spoilt me.

- Does the 129 give you enough float and stability to uphaul easily?

answer: that's relative to conditions too. at 8'10" long it is pretty stable, but not compared to 11'5" i am 212 lbs. got thousands of light wind hours behind me. it uphauls far better than my 105.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: