myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The OFF Season – Coping with Windsurfing Withdrawal
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamero

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: The OFF Season – Coping with Windsurfing Withdrawal Reply with quote

Some of you lucky windsurfers live in areas that permit you to sail 365 days a year. Many of us however live in regions where we are tied to the seasons. Here in Vancouver Canada, hard-core sailors could potentially start windsurfing as early as March and finish as late as November. Of course you need a thick wetsuit (5/4 or more), mitts, hood, and some solid skills to cope with the fall wind storms. For the casual or recreational windsurfer May to September is usually the norm. So November in Vancouver is around the corner and, although there may be the occasional wind storm to come, the number of windsurfing sessions remaining this year are seriously numbered.

I now find myself in the corner of my living room in the fetal position, pondering my accomplishments of this season, craving that blasting adrenaline rush, fantasizing about next year when I execute the perfect carve gybe one after another after another.

What do you do to cope with the sudden loss in the off season?
What are ways you can maintain or improve both your windsurfing skills and fitness when your next time on the water is perhaps months away?

Is there a support group I can attend to help me through? Crying or Very sad Very Happy
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

March in Canada must be cold! We sail (or try to) 12 months of the year on Long Island, where rigging in snow is part of a day's session.

6a00d8341c890753ef01b7c8186f8c970b-500wi.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  112.89 KB
 Viewed:  15550 Time(s)

6a00d8341c890753ef01b7c8186f8c970b-500wi.jpg

mamero

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
March in Canada must be cold! We sail (or try to) 12 months of the year on Long Island, where rigging in snow is part of a day's session.

Now THAT's dedication. Perhaps sailing in the snow is warmer than you think. The water is SO cold there is a lot of incentive to never fall in. You don't get wet in the first place. Laughing

Fortunately, Vancouver and the West Coast (Pacific North West) is relatively mild compared to the rest of the country and the east cost. I suspect you guys may have snow on the ground longer than we do. We usually get a week or two max of snow then the rain washes it all away. Snow or not, when it's the middle of January and near freezing, heading to the beach for a session does not really inspire a warm fuzzy feeling.
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just nuts.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live two hours south of you, I'd call this the ON season! I've been stoked for the winds of winter to roll through.
Then again I started off prone surfing which is far colder and you can't wear a drysuit (which is luxury).

-Grant
rswabsin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamero

One thing you can do is scope out the wind and water conditions throughout the winter in your area. Take note of any saltwater bays that don't readily freeze over, note typical temperature range on the windy days, note the more prominent wind directions and do some research online into winter dry suits, heavy wetsuits, boots, gloves, etc. - most of these go on sale come next spring so that could be a good time to pick up stuff for next winter. As long as you have the right drysuit or wetsuit for the water temps, sailing in temps as low as 35 degrees isn't all that bad. Once you get near freezing, water tends to freeze up on your sail and boom and things start to get a bit less fun. Winter sailing also involves frequent brakes to warm up - like sail for 20 minutes and come in to warm up hands. Its also good to have a friend to sail. So use the time do some local research.

Rob
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what happens in the Great White North near Montreal

as stated GOOD season is May to SEPT
there are people who go to Hatteras, NC in April/May and Sept/Oct to begin and end the season

also spring and fall people do windskating - on skateboards
in winter - after JAN typically people go on ice n snow until gone
deep snow is LESS friendly and kiters do better
can't wait to try my "new" sled

wynsurfer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn to ski, snowboard, or snowkite, Whistler is 1.5 hours by car from you. That place is awesome! It's OK to have more than one passion.

https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Slinky said! I grab my sticks and go get some rides on
crystalline water. Or, if there's none of that, I grab my mountain
bike. Or if I've got a serious Jones, I head for Maui (or at least
South to Mohave).

-Craig

slinky wrote:
Learn to ski, snowboard, or snowkite, Whistler is 1.5 hours by car from you. That place is awesome! It's OK to have more than one passion.

https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The OFF Season – Coping with Windsurfing Withdrawal Reply with quote

mamero wrote:
What do you do to cope with the sudden loss in the off season?
What are ways you can maintain or improve both your windsurfing skills and fitness when your next time on the water is perhaps months away?

1. I put off SO much stuff during my sailing season -- NOTHING is allowed to trump a windy day from roughly April through October, maybe November -- that it takes me most of the winter to catch up.

2. The gym.

3. Up to a point, more insulation adds months. The only weather that counts is the weather next to your skin, so it's still 98.6 degrees here in the Gorge.

4. That point is when the risk, discomfort, and truly AWFUL winter frontal winds overcome the fun factor ... a very personal tradeoff. I'm perfectly comfy in a neoprene or Goretex dry suit, and recently adapted pretty well to carefully chosen booties, so I'm fine down to about 50/50 Yankee degrees, a bit colder water temp. But gloves? No way. Neoprene hood? Not with my balance problems. Snow on the ground? Been there, screw that.

5. Dry land sports make infinitely more sense, if for no other reason than the thermal conductivities of air vs water. I had four mostly year-round adrenaline sports going for many years (God bless Utah, New Mexico, and upstate New Yawk!) that ate up most evenings and every weekend before I retired. However, they also hurt more if pursued aggressively, and I got tired of pain long ago, so I dropped those for that and other reasons. (Never mind that my most debilitating injury ever ultimately happened on the water.)

The adrenaline is out there and we all have the same amount of time. The trick is making good use of it. BIG tip: Do not put it off; countless millions of people figure they'll find time to play after retirement. WRONG ... unless they retire decades ahead of their peers, which I HIGHLY recommend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: