myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Starboard WindSUPs - Any good?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Starboard WindSUPs - Any good? Reply with quote

My local sup / kayak shop is going to start selling a new brand- Starboard.

I already have pretty much all the windsurfing and sup gear that I need. But since I'm in good with the shop owners as a member of their sup race team I might be able to get some good deals on starboard toys- or at least get to try them out for free.

I'm particularly curious about starboard's various "WindSUP" boards. Although I don't think any are full-fledged planing-capable windsurfs, some of them look like they could be serviceable beginner boards and/or wave riding boards with or without a sail.

Has anyone had good or bad experiences with starboard windsups? What models did you like / dislike?

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starboard Airplane

Don't take my word for it
Google the reviews and sort it for yourself

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
rhorton1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 12'2" x 32" Freeride wind sup. It's a fun board to windsurf in light wind. It glides really well when under wind power, and seems like a good beginner board. I have taught two people the windsurfing basics on the board, and I enjoy sailing it when there's not enough wind to plane. Have had as small as a 4.2 on it for teaching, and as large as 7.0 when I was trying to get planing. When there is enough wind to plane, it only semi-planes..... The water sticks to the tail and you drag quite a bit of it behind you. That being said, it's easy to sail even in higher winds, though the long nose does tend to plough through any wind chop, slowing you down.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Whopper, which is 10' x 34" has a removable 42 cm. daggerboard that fits in a Tuttle box. I seldom use it, but t works well, and the board is quite manuverable with it in. It has surf rocker like many of their boards so it does not plane unless there is a lot of wind. It is a very easy board to sail in the lightest of winds. I often use it to practice light wind freestyle. It catches waves very easily. No waves? Boat wakes work great! Lots of fun but not fast. I've had it for 2 years and it gets a lot of use. I paddle it often. Well made and very durable. I have the asap construction which wraps a rubber bumper like material around the nose and rails. I am rough on equipment and have dropped it a few times om slippery rocks, with no damage. No need for repairs just yet.

They make a lot of models and some have a planing hull. I'd like to get another touring type with the planing rocker.l

Don't you have the Exocet 11' 8" windsup?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: