myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
heli tack advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snapster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: heli tack advice Reply with quote

I'm a beginner, and I was fooling around today trying to heli-tack, as it doesn't look super hard (to my fairly untrained eye). The problem I was having was that when I swing the rig through the wind, leaning to windward, the wind pretty immediately just blows the rig into me and knocks me backward off the board.
What am I missing? How do I avoid being shoved back by the sail pointing into the wind? Do I need to use my body weight to hold it down?
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about rig control. In a Heli tack you lean the rig back to turn into & through the wind, then you have to shut the rig off (luff the sail) while you slice the rig(luffing) into the wind. Only after the mast has gone from leaning downwind behind you to leaning upwind in front of you do you start to backwind the sail. It sounds like you are making the classic mistake of trying to force the clew through the wind from the downwind position without shutting off the power in the sail.

Coachg
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, practice backwinding the sail, before you attempt the heli move.
You need to lean against the wind, but you also need to learn to sheet the clew downwind, into your body, to control sailing backwinded. Then, when you get balanced, you rotate into the heli, always keeping your posture and never leaning to the side.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here is a good video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w803yCuuqQ
eghoffman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep your front arm straight, control the power with your back arm.
snapster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I've seen the youtube offerings; usually that's the first place I check for things like this, since, as you said, a picture is worth a thousand words, and a video IS a thousand pictures.
One thing that occurred to me is that I can probably figure this out much more efficiently by just playing with the sail on the beach, and save myself the trouble of dragging myself up out of the water.
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, absolutely. On the beach, you pattern the various movements by repetition and you don't fall in. You DON'T muscle the sail, you manipulate the sail to minimize the forces acting upon it. The video is great.
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snapster wrote:
One thing that occurred to me is that I can probably figure this out much more efficiently by just playing with the sail on the beach, and save myself the trouble of dragging myself up out of the water.

Practicing backwinding on the beach is a good option, but please note, board on beach stays flat. On the water, not so unless on huge board. To sail backwinded you need to have toe pressure sinking the windward rail, not heel pressure sinking the leeward rail. If you sink the leeward rail it digs in so the sail will push you over no matter how light the wind.

Coachg
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What coachg says. But if your board is big enough, you can cheat a bit by moving your feet so the heels are on the centerline. Even if you get pushed on your heels, the leeward rail will not dig in and throw you off.

One big and common mistake in the hell tack is to push with both hands. Try to do the move one-handed - use only the mast hand until it's time to flip the sail. Then, slice the sail forward (without any power in it), and switch to using only the back hand. Practicing this on the beck is a great idea. I never really understood the heli tack until I did it one handed.
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: heli tack advice Reply with quote

snapster wrote:

What am I missing? How do I avoid being shoved back by the sail pointing into the wind? Do I need to use my body weight to hold it down?

Using your body weight is a battle against the wind. You will never win. The trick is not to force and make wind do most of the work for you. It is not an enemy, it is the friend. So, when you are backwinded do not push with your sail hand, only with the mast hand. When you are about to slide and flip the sail, you almost release your mast hand and start pushing with the sail hand. It will pivot the sail. As the Coach said try to do it one handed or even attempt light wind Cowboy.

The video also brings up the very important point: use your vision.

Andrei.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: