myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tips for transitioning to planing in control
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bostonsailor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Tips for transitioning to planing in control Reply with quote

I want to experience planing at high speeds, it looks very cool, and I can only imagine how great it must feel. I am using a 131L starboard carve with 6m2 sail. I just purchased an 8m2 sail for lighter days. My fin is the stock version drake 44. I mostly sail in flat water at Pleasure Bay. I am not in foot straps yet. I sometimes get up to 18-20 mph however I am finding myself pointing/drifting downwind and struggling to keep the board flat/even. I am experimenting with toe pressure which helps keep the leeward edge flat for quicker planing however I am not sustaining it long enough to get into the foot straps. I find myself losing control so I end up crashing or heading up to slow down. I am wondering what I can do to keep control of the board, its speed and direction. Two things I know I need to keep on trying are leaning the rig back more and hanging off the boom with less use of my arms. Every suggestion, advice is welcome and appreciated, thanks in advance.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to commit more weight to the harness. That lets the feet move without upsetting the board.
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The security and control you desire will happen when you get in the foot straps. It seems that you have enough speed to use the straps. Many novices try to get into the straps without enough speed and the board heads up or stalls because of the sinking windward rail.

Harness first or feet in the straps first? While learning, it may pay off trying to get in the straps without being hooked in = fewer over the nose crashes. On the other hand, harness first will help keep the board flatter and allow easier foot movement. I always hook in first to minimize the arm stress ASAP, but I am planing before hooking in. On rare occasions, I have been pulled over the nose, but that's usually a result of not focusing.

Here comes what a few see as controversial - front foot first or back foot first in the straps. BFF will cause fewer crashes, but heading up or stalling can be issues because of too much weight on the back foot. FFF keeps the board on a steadier course, but may cause you to get tossed over the nose more often than BFF. I use FFF because it helps keep the board on plane in marginal winds, plus I may nurse the board along for 50+ yards with the back foot out (feet closer together for a flatter board profile) until I get ample speed to get in the back strap. I never get tossed over the nose, but, I have been doing this for a long time. I learned with BFF (self taught) because it seemed natural (this was on my first short board). However, it wasn't long before I switched to FFF. Try both and see what works for you. A lot depends on the power you have, with plenty BFF can work. With only a little power, FFF is best.

Your current issues are normal. We all went through the same phase.

Last edited by techno900 on Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
ramps

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What helped me learn to get in the straps was to always think about balancing my weight between the harness and whichever foot was not about to be put in the straps. For example if you are trying to put your front foot in first, then your weight should be split between the harness and the back foot. You should be able to pick up that front foot and do anything you want with it at that point. You will get catapulted from time to time, so you will learn to sheet in or out quickly to maintain steady power in the sail. As you have suspected, planing while locked in the straps and harness is the best!
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may get more stability from a larger fin to complement the 8.0.
See if you can borrow one from a friend.
The added length will increase drive and tilt force helping stabilize the board.
A board will also become more stable with speed so one needs to have very light feet until the board is up to speed and less vulnerable to awkward footing.

konajoe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I'll ask it. We're all a little wary of people talking about their speed, due to some recent posts. (I'm asking this to get a better understanding of your situation.) How are you figuring you're getting up to 18-20?

In my experience, the only way to get that kind of speed on that board is to be fairly stable already. You'd have to be on a full-on plane for a while, in a steady direction to get that speed. Are you there?
bostonsailor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair question, I have been using Garmin Forerunner 910XT. Two screen shots of recent activities are shown below:

Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 11.34.52 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  723.8 KB
 Viewed:  18934 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 11.34.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 11.34.01 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  824.31 KB
 Viewed:  18934 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 11.34.01 AM.png

konajoe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Understand that my last post was only meant to help get better answers to your questions. It's much easier to give good advice when you can see a person with your own eyes. Forums are tough.

So, I guess the next question is whether those high speeds are gps glitches, or whether you really are getting those kinds of speeds, and immediately dropping off. I know there are people on this forum who will be able to interpret the data.

Then, pick up the discussion from there.
bostonsailor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the speed for sure, board lifts up, I pull the rig back a little (need to do it more), and for a few times I felt like I could take my hands off the boom and the sail will continue flying. Honestly i don't care if it is 18mph or less, at this time, my goal is to get used to this new sensation and learn how to prolong it so I can enjoy it a bit longer. Any suggestions on helping me achieve this milestone is appreciated.
konajoe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then, what brings that nice feeling speed sensation to an end? Does the board turn up into the wind? Or does it just slow down without changing direction?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: