myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
board quiver size
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mudshark

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: board quiver size Reply with quote

I currently have a 124l JP supersport and a 96l Naish crossover. Thinking about a third board in between. I use the JP 124l for 7.0 to 8.5 weather but when it gets in the 6.5 range I find myself on the edge. Just wondering if a 108-112l is overkill filling the gap between the 96l and 124l. By the way the JP supersports go fast enough to make your liver quiver.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot depends on you weight, skills, water condition, and the quality of the wind at your spot.
I'm 165 lbs and can use a 6.5 on my 3s 96. Its a bit on the top of the sail range but it works well. I can even up haul if needed. So I would say if you can make it work, there is no need to spend the money on another board in that size range.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you like and what conditions you get most often.
I have 3 FSW boards, JP84, 3S86, and RoqueWave 78 (the widest at 60cm). Those are the conditions I like to say in the most.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: board quiver size Reply with quote

Personally, I think that spacing is too small. You should be able to ride a 6.5 on either of those boards. Try a smaller fin on the big board or a bigger fin on the small board. It's a lot cheaper than a new board.

- Craig

mudshark@hawaii.rr.com wrote:
I currently have a 124l JP supersport and a 96l Naish crossovers. Thinking about a third board in between. I use the JP 124l for 7.0 to 8.5 weather but when it gets in the 6.5 range I find myself on the edge. Just wondering if a 108-112l is overkill filling the gap between the 96l and 124l. By the way the JP supersports go fast enough to make your liver quiver.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a dilemma we all face. There always seems to be an inbetween sized board that would chime in that heavenly chorus for us!

But that said, 104 to 112 (ish) is a very useful size in many real world conditions. They work with a large range of sails and tick many boxes.

To have to use an 8.5 on 124 litres seems a bit extreme, so the winds must be very light. It may not be much help to say so, but wouldn't a good fast 'liver quiver' 112 (ish) board with a 7.0 take the place of the 125, and an older cheapish 160 litre big sail (8.5) board take care of the lighter wind blasting?

i.e. 95 -112 - 160. bliss. (Until the NEXT dilemma!)
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see your dilemma. For free riding, I have a 110 and a 96, and that works great. In my slalom boards, I have a gap that's just slightly bigger - 117 and 90 l. They overlap a bit, both work well with a 7.0. But I often find myself wishing I had a board in the middle, especially when the wind dies down and I have to slog the 90 l back through chop. Doable, but no fun at all at 195 lb. The few extra liters in the 96 make a big difference.

But perhaps part of the issue is the bigger board. I recently got to try a 115 l slalom board from a different brand that felt 100% comfortable in conditions where I'd typically choose my 90. Your situation may be similar - the supersport can be fun when it's light, but can quickly become a handful when wind and chop pick up. The Naish is probably at the other end of the spectrum, oriented towards control and comfort. That may make the gap in your quiver wider than the volume difference suggests.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: board quiver size Reply with quote

I currently have a 124l JP supersport and a 96l Naish crossover. Thinking about a third board in between. I use the JP 124l for 7.0 to 8.5 weather but when it gets in the 6.5 range I find myself on the edge. Just wondering if a 108-112l is overkill filling the gap between the 96l and 124l. By the way the JP supersports go fast enough to make your liver quiver.

To say what works for me.. Is only a faint indicator of what COULD for you.

On 100liter and above about 15 liters between would provide a close size range.

You have 28 now, half is 14 and then 110 as a ideal using my guideline.

I find on a 95--99 that a 6.0 is tops in my comfort zone, YMMV, FIRST LINE ABOVE.

If I had the $ and room I would get the inbetween board.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
mudshark

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. When I started in the 80's my economic status only allowed one board at a time. I sailed like a junkie till the mid 90's when most of my friends dropped out of the game so I returned to surfing. A couple of years ago I decided to give it a go again and had so much fun I wondered why I stopped. I sail whenever there is wind, however due to my age, I sail on the mellower side of the island mostly on a 7.5. I realize more than ever at 65 years old my sailing days are numbered and try to make the most of it.
I love sailing the 96 liter but as Fred Hayword use to say "if you're not planning you're complaining." So if I talked myself into spending the money and bought a 110L ish board the 96 would probably stay dry more than it does. My only fear is when I die my wife will sell my boards for what I told her I paid for them!
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 65 years old. I started in the early 80's and never stopped. Been there done that in windsurfing. I now choose mostly flat water locations to save the old bones. I still sail anything from a 86 liter and a 4.2 to a 6.5 on a 115 My point is that windsurfing offers joy and contentment no matter how strong the wind. I'm heading to SPI Texas for a month of fishing golf and windsurfing. I will sail every day no matter the wind and have a blast.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

due to my age, I sail on the mellower side of the island mostly on a 7.5. I realize more than ever at 65 years old my sailing days are numbered and try to make the most of it.

Your sailing decades are closing out, but not your days or even years. We have a slew of guys who absolutely RIP in gale force winds and overhead swells (or ocean waves, in many cases) in their mid-70s, some of them far outlasting guys 1/3 their age even in very aggressive sailing. How do they stay in such good shape? By RIPPING in gale force winds and by working out SMART when the wind stops. Many of them don't even own gear as big as yours, so buy some smaller gear, get the heck out there, and quit thinking like an old man (or the typical 25-yo couch potato).

Mike \m/
Born 73 years ago, but only about 50 years old, if that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: