myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Partner wanted for downwinder project 2017
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Partner wanted for downwinder project 2017 Reply with quote

Optimistic and somewhat daring (although not completely reckless) sailing buddy sought for downwinder mini-adventures and ongoing story feature, Summer 2017.

Requirements:
*Optimistic and positive attitude.
*Competence windsurfing DOWNWIND (i.e. doesn't crash often), often overpowered AND in control, with extended swell rides and making it look easy. Must be able to sail in close proximity fully-powered on broad reach and dead runs.
*Ability to sustain downwind sailing for 1-2 hours non-stop.
*Desire to do something different, challenging, and super-fun instead of "mowing" the Gorge, as usual.
*Some knowledge of typical downwind routes helpful but not required; I don't know them all. Examples: Viento to Hood River, Mosier to Rowena, Blalock Canyon to Arlington, T-Bird (or whatever car that is) to Roosevelt, Roosevelt to 3-Mile.
*Willing to sacrifice time, gas, and perhaps romantic relationship to make downwind sailing a priority and knock off several (if not all) Gorge downwinder routes. Maybe trailblaze some new ones.
*Must be willing to sacrifice a very good day of lawn mowing in the central corridor for an excellent/epic 1-2 hour downwind session plus 2+ hours of driving from Hood River.
*Believes that people who pick up hitchhikers are MOST likely to be the kindest and most generous people around.

Possibilities:
*Gear sponsorship (windsurf gear, Go Pro, free beer, etc.) (yeah, right!).
*Some notoriety.
*Advertiser/sponsor revenue.
*Super-fun experience before we are dead (or simply can't do it anymore due to age/injury).

Please respond with some qualifications via private message. Ideas welcome. All curmudgeons please refrain. Thanks.

P.S. Don't make me partner with a kiter. But I will if I have to.

20160624_140535.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  415.95 KB
 Viewed:  23856 Time(s)

20160624_140535.jpg

20160624_140542.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  376.95 KB
 Viewed:  23856 Time(s)

20160624_140542.jpg

Last edited by biffmalibu on Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brian.bigfella@gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not good enough to meet your criteria (and I'm only in the Gorge in July), but it sounds fun.

Back in the day I used to do Bingen to Mosier. If you rig for Bingen you're overpowered when you reach the island. But it's a fun, if short, run if you don't mind bridges.

Heck, if you're doing Mosier to Rowena you could do Bingen to Dougs. I'd be interested to hear what it's like going by Lyle through the narrows. You'd have to wait for a day where to blows all the way through.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, it's wildly squirrely through the area just past the Lyle sandbar.
The wind reflects off the narrow canyon walls, and you get a lot of downdraft
and direction change. Not for the faint of heart.

-Craig

Brian.bigfella@gmail.com wrote:
I'd be interested to hear what it's like going by Lyle through the narrows. You'd have to wait for a day where to blows all the way through.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Partner wanted for downwinder project 2017 Reply with quote

Biff,

That car is a Mercury ;*)

-Craig

biffmalibu wrote:
, T-Bird (or whatever car that is) to Roosevelt,.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool that you have tried a downwinder!

I can say from personal experience the Straight of Lyle can be very gnarly in early-Summer due to high current. Therefore, it's best to plan a diagonal attack (such as NNE or NE, due to common NW wind) and complete the crossing on one port tack. As it is near the end of this downwinder, it is the most challenging aspect partly due to leg fatigue. It's best to skip across the tops of the chop or swells and avoid surfing in the strong current. Also, I have seen actual (see photo) hydraulics there that I consider to be serious and potentially life-threatening (without a life jacket). Waterstarting there can be a minor challenge that also saps strength. There is no incentive to go down in the Straight of Lyle on a high-flow day.

All sailing time required to complete the Mosier/Rowena downwinder is 40-60 minutes (giant racing gear excluded). So this downwinder (like all the others) does not require it to blow all day (although this does help generate larger swell, and so I would prefer this). My downwinders will always be on Gorge/wave/freestyle gear and less than 5.2m sails (big guys are allowed to shred swell on 5.2m and then I would be on 5.0m or 4.2m).

download.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.23 KB
 Viewed:  23790 Time(s)

download.jpg

H2OJoe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Biff,
I'd be interested in joining you on some of these adventures. I have a bit of experience up and down the Gorge both on windsurf gear and SUPs. Not sure how to do private messages but you can email me for my qualifications. surfski57@gmail.com
Peace,

H2O Joe
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,
I figure there are only 5-6 decent downwinders within striking range. If you do two or three, why not go for it and complete the project?

Seriously interested in resurrecting the Desert Downwinder. Anybody been through the north canyon around Miller Island?

Maybe there should be a tryout for participants. By the way, I heard some geezer is holding a downwind/upwind race from Rowena to Dougs and back Sunday or Monday. Slalom/race gear NOT allowed. I heard there would be a special prize to pick up at Doug's, kind of like the olive crown (kotinos) of the Olympics.
Twisted Evil

Anybody heard anything about this? It would make for a good tryout.

Kotinos.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  111.04 KB
 Viewed:  23734 Time(s)

Kotinos.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get in touch with "Slinger" John Whaley/Waley(?). He does solo 15-mile downwinders out east almost every windy day. (Heck, I do 15-one-mile downwinders most windy days, too, but that doesn't meet your specs.)
H2OJoe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Anybody been through the north canyon around Miller Island?"

I did it three times this summer on a SUP, each time averaging 30mph winds. Launch at Celilo and exit at either the grain silos at Biggs or all the way to Rufus. The north canyon is very narrow and would be mostly straight downwind and there is a dogleg on the east side that could be tricky. The wind really ramps up thru there and it's the cleanest swell I've seen anywhere on the Columbia.
Also did a downwinder (SUP) from Blalock Canyon to Arlington a few years ago. Wind averaging over 40 with gusts close to 60. It was an epic run. It's about 8-9 miles, similar to the Viento run.
Lots of river and most of it is doable in the right conditions.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTH do you guys who do long downwinders on windsurfing gear do when the wind backs off? In the corridor you can just go ashore and find people, highways, cars, lunch, sidewalks, etc., but out east ya got to deal with cliffs, rattlesnakes, railroads, and long distances to walk across the desert.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: