myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Partner wanted for downwinder project 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
merriam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer. I think I'll stick with my current partners!!!
Tom

downwinders.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  589.61 KB
 Viewed:  14344 Time(s)

downwinders.jpg

biffmalibu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
Did all four of these women complete a downwinder of some sort? If so, that is impressive.

H2OJoe sounds very competent and experienced, including valuable experience that I do not possess. Joe has the skills and is obviously good at forecasting and selecting the appropriate downwinder for the day. I'm sure there must have been a couple somewhat uncomfortable outcomes, but nothing lethal or debilitating. The overwhelming high-quality of experiences has outweighed those. So Joe continues to go for it. I think Joe would make a very good partner. For a solid partner, all that remains is a somewhat high level of commitment. This might appear intimidating at first. However, realistically, I don't believe the time required to knock these 5-6 downwinders off is very great. I believe the time for each is about equal to a typical session or two of lawn-mowing. For example, Viento to Waterfront Park will require only 2-3 hours. This includes any hitchhiking or car shuttle. This leaves plenty of time (although perhaps not sufficient energy) for lawn-mowing, dinner with wifey, work, etc.

I have to add the following: this project requires a desire and commitment to complete the 5-6 downwinders of the Gorge. With no excuses for not attempting each downwinder. Excuses are what I believe to be the main reason why windsurfers choose to to NOT do even short downwinders. The perfect example is the rather short downwind/upwind trip from Rowena to Doug's/Rugs. Almost ALL of my friends freak when I propose it, due to classic anxiety re: wind sufficiency.

Excuses are different from REASONS. Excuses are often imaginary or unknown, based on fear or anxiety relating to the future but based perhaps on select negative outcomes. For example, fear of wind shut-off because, yes, it did happen once 20 years ago and there was some minor degree of suffering involved as a consequence. But excuses can also be related to other aspects like lack of desire, commitment, or perceived family obligations (also anxiety-related as there could be some suffering/punishment involved). REASONS are legitimate. For example, there is insufficient wind to even begin the journey (such as the Blowout/Stevenson-Hood River downwinder getting postponed from Saturday to Sunday). Or "I know my back, arms, and hands are not strong enough this early in the season". Or "I'm definitely under the weather and have no stamina for this today."

A good partner for this will have the humility to know the difference between excuses and reasons in his own psyche. And he will also have the desire and necessary level of commitment to do it.
merriam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had one of the best Viento to Hood River trips ever a few weeks ago. The picture is from yesterday after a great session at the Hatch, we decided to sail to the Waterfront park. Left in near 30 mph but the wind died at east Wells Island. We all made it in but lots of slogging and swimming.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biff, you might break in your selected crew on a no-brainer, no-risk, one-car, no-commitment from Maryhill up to the dam. Especially in a spring current, all they have to if they want to bail is sit on the escalator.
charliegrist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biff this sounds like a good way to get to know the river better. Maybe find some nice new swell patches. I think you just started a downwinders club. I'll join.
H2OJoe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
WTH do you guys who do long downwinders on windsurfing gear do when the wind backs off? In the corridor you can just go ashore and find people, highways, cars, lunch, sidewalks, etc., but out east ya got to deal with cliffs, rattlesnakes, railroads, and long distances to walk across the desert.

Well it begins with good planning. Optimism, positivity, competence and an adventurous mind do the rest. In my experience most adventures don't become such until something in the plan goes awry.
H2OJoe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biff - give me the "list" and when you want to start. There are many "trial runs" that most windsurfers haven't even thought about.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really ... what do downwind sailors do when the wind drops in the environments I mentioned? The only solution I can imagine is miles of slogging ... and that's if it doesn't quit altogether such as when a storm shuts it down.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

List, arranged from short to long.

1) Rowena to Rug's (and back): easy and virtually no risk for wind shut-off (because the current will return everybody to the start). A good BS-test for all candidates.

2) Viento to Hood River: moderate. Because wind can be weird and light at the beginning AND end. Take-out at Hatchery acceptable for an easy hitchhike to the Hood River city center exit (where my gallon of ice water awaits on top of my cardboard sign to Viento). Wink

3) Rock Creek to Rowena: moderate to difficult. Because the wind can be variable if you choose the wrong day/wind. And water conditions are variable. Plus, the current is a hazard near the end, especially with leg fatigue. Easy hitchhike back to Mosier from East Meyer State Park. No shuttle required.

4) Mercury to Roosevelt OR Blalock Canyon to Arlington. They're about the same distance/locations. I prefer Mercury because it sounds cooler. Wink Also, I am not familiar with the launch at Blalock. We could do both. Leg fatigue will be an issue but wind should not be. Potentially a giant surf session. Car shuttle a good idea.

5) Roosevelt to Indian boat ramp near 3-mile. The big boat ramp is the target for convenient and safe take-out. Mega-surf potential with dehydration and leg fatigue as main hazards. Wind should not be an issue.

6) Desert Downwinder: Celilo to Rufus. A couple odd turns in the river plus giant swell without a take-out in some spots. Would require the most scrutiny and plan. A break at Maryhill for water would be welcome.

As a true partner, I would be committed to sticking fairly close to my partner (1/4 mile? 1/2 mile?). None of this taking off and ditching the partner BS. I demand the same treatment. AND it is essential to get some objective video footage of exactly what we are doing. Gotta stick together. If my partner takes off without me, he's fired. Also, sharing a party wave is wayyy more fun than a solo ride.

Same-side launch/take-out is essential for most convenient shuttle or hitchhiking.

Before I know it, I will not be able to stuff like this due to age, etc. It would be great to have a record of it while I am still able to physically do it.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Really ... what do downwind sailors do when the wind drops in the environments I mentioned? The only solution I can imagine is miles of slogging ... and that's if it doesn't quit altogether such as when a storm shuts it down.

A "can do" attitude is essential for this project, as Joe has also stated. Thank you for the extra motivation to complete it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: