myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Harness line placement
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B-Man_6.5

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Harness line placement Reply with quote

What's the proper method for setting up harness lines and how would I adjust them for each different sail used. I've returned to the sport (wish I never left) after several years and forgot how to do this. I've been trying to adjust them with each session, but just don't feel like they are in the right spot.
Thanks for any and all advice!
Awalkspoiled

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern sails are much more stable than older designs so you may be able to have your lines anchored closer together on the boom than in the past - two fist-widths apart is often plenty. Start with a length which allows you to loop the line over your elbow while grasping the boom with your hand. You’d go shorter for chest and waist harnesses and maybe a little longer for low-hook seat harnesses.

Set your sail up, put a towel or something under the mastfoot and hook in on the shore. You’re looking to center your lines such that you can let go with both hands without the sail zooming forward or back. If it does zoom, move the lines in the direction it went. If when powered on the water up you feel like your back hand is working much harder than your front then move the lines back. Likewise if your front hand is doing all the work move them forward a little. If the pull varies a lot depending on point of sail move the lines apart a little. If you’re able to hook in comfortably while slogging then your lines are probably too long and/or too far forward for sailing fully powered.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read a study one time in one of the magazines. It said that pro windsurfers had their harness lines 1/3 of the way from front to back of the boom. Perhaps that was the position of the rear strap of the two.

That might be a place to start. Then move a bit either way depending upon which hand gets tired.

Harness length is another issue, and depends upon arm length, harness hook height, and boom height.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is entirely trial and error getting the lines in the exact right spot.

You can start by standing the rig up on land and finding the balance point between your hands, but the balance point will shift aft when you get on the water, particularly if you are planing & in the footstraps.

Expect that after your first run or two, you will need to adjust the position of the lines - this is totally normal, especially if you use one boom for multiple sails. The lines should end up centered between your hands when fully powered up so that the load on your front and back hands is roughly equal. Many beginners severely limit their learning progression by running the lines too far forward which overloads the back arm and does not allow them to fully commit to the harness. Recommended spacing between the harness line attachment points is about 6-9".

sm
B-Man_6.5

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys! I just ordered a new Ion harness, so once I get that then I'll be able to adjust the lines better than with the harness I currently have. Also, the harness lines I'm using are the Dakine quick lines that have a single attachment point. What are your thoughts on those? Would it be better to replace them with more adjustable width lines. The sails I'm on are a 12-15 year old Gaastra and a North IQ which are both in really good condition.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way to look at it - without harness lines, you hold the boom with both hands at the same point, touching one another. How much control do you have? Now move your hand 12" apart - more or less control?

Single point lines are fine, but I don't think that's the way to go for you at this time in your progression. Older sails are less stable, so a wider attachment should help a bit.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries about your sails being too old. I have a number of sails from the 2001 to 2003 timeframe, and they incorporate the looser leech concept still favored in today's designs. As long as the bend curve of your masts are well matched to your sails, you're fine.

Regarding your harness lines, I'm with others here thinking that you would be better off with lines where you can adjust the spacing between attachment points.
B-Man_6.5

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. I just ordered some adjustable lines. I had never seen single point lines until getting back in the sport and they seemed like a good concept.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The center of effort is farther back in large sails. A bit more forward in smaller sails. You will need to find the balance point for each sail than mark your boom. If set correctly it should be a near hands free ride across the water. Many years ago at a windsurf camp we were all told to run a string from the top of the mast to the base of a rigged sail. At the point where the string crosses the boom is a good STARTING point for the front of the harness line and the back 6 inches or so toward the back. I now use a single point line on my boom when I get a new sail. I sail that way until I am sure for the center point for that sail. Then I mark and remove that line and replace it with a two point line. I just like them better...
B-Man_6.5

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks NOVAAN.

I did see a video maybe on YouTube about harness line placement. They said to rig your sail and then starting from the front of the boom, pick up the sail. When you're able to lift up the rig, without the mast or the clew laying on the floor, that that is the general area of line placement. Not sure how accurate that is though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: