myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
JP Superlight Comments

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lrrry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: JP Superlight Comments Reply with quote

I just bought a JP Superlight, Gold 165, and have a 11.0 Aerotech Rapid Fire sail to go with it. Just barely getting used to it, and had it out the other day in extremely light winds... perhaps 7 kts max, so I couldn't get it on a plane. Was hoping for more but didn't happen.

However, it maneuvered reasonably well (better than my Formula, but not as well as a long board, as expected.

But, returning to home base, I was faced with about 4 or 5 kts of wind to tack up wind with, and an outgoing tide to fight and had a heck of a time gaining much headway.

Seems if the wind stayed up a bit I could rail the board up for better upwind, but if it dropped off I couldn't stay even. Guessing I had a 2 kts tide... moving pretty quick.

It took a hour and a half to go one half mile! Really slow. Had a few tacks where I made no progress at all (tacking back and forth about 1/8 to 1/4 mile.

Any suggestions on how to work upwind in this situation?

Suspect I'll get caught again, as sometime I head out with a nice sea breeze that ends up dying.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In those conditions, in fact in most all conditions, I try to get upwind right off the bat, just in case something breaks, or the wind dies.

The only time that I would sail downwind originally is if there were a current that would bring me back from being downwind.

It is easy to try to head downwind to get a short board on a plane, but you do that at your own peril. Get upwind, and then try to get the board planing.

The other solution is to use a longer board with a dagger board in such light conditions - but that is not as fun?
lrrry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gvogelsang wrote:
In those conditions, in fact in most all conditions, I try to get upwind right off the bat, just in case something breaks, or the wind dies.

The only time that I would sail downwind originally is if there were a current that would bring me back from being downwind.

It is easy to try to head downwind to get a short board on a plane, but you do that at your own peril. Get upwind, and then try to get the board planing.

The other solution is to use a longer board with a dagger board in such light conditions - but that is not as fun?

Gvogel,

Your ideas are sound and good advise. Yes, I could go upwind, or long board, but right now I want to go downwind for starters and upwind when I end. Hard at times, just looking for ideas.

Not a life or death situation. A few times, I've tied my board off, gone home for my boat to retrieve it, but rarely. Or can call my lady and she will kayak out to save me.... (with a beer).
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In those conditions a long board is the obvious choice but that doesn't address your question.

To go up wind well on a short board against a tide find where the weakest current is or look for an eddy. Generally the current is strongest out in the middle of the body of water so tack near shore in weaker current. Place your front foot on or near the rail at least as far forward as your mast base. Place your back foot on the centerline between the front & back straps. Apply most of your weight to your front foot, back foot stays light & trims the board. You want to sink & use the windward rail. Bring your hands together so as to not over sheet the sail & lean the sail forward & windward. Balance the weight between the sail & your front foot.

Coachg
lrrry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coachg,

Good comments, I need some work on that a bit. Thx!
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally find that to be too low a wind for fun on any board
typically 10 knots or about 20 kph winds are my wind minimum
that way you are much less likely to be skunked completely
have gone out in less, but will NOT venture far then

each to their own ...

<20 kph = longboard for me
~20 kph = JP SLW92
>20 kph = many options
lrrry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:
personally find that to be too low a wind for fun on any board
typically 10 knots or about 20 kph winds are my wind minimum
that way you are much less likely to be skunked completely
have gone out in less, but will NOT venture far then

each to their own ...

<20 kph = longboard for me
~20 kph = JP SLW92
>20 kph = many options

Joe,

Agree with you for the most part, but some of us just don't have a lot of choice. If I accept 6kts as a minimum I can go out almost everyday, and at times, it picks up and it's fun. Sometimes it doesn't and I'm stuck sloshing home with 3 or 4 knots or just get skunked, but very rare.

Fortunately I live in a place where I can be on the water sailing in about 10 minutes, so if I got out and don't like it, just come home.

Now, in the spring and fall, winds will be better...... with an average daily speed of 10mph.

However, being on the coast, we often get an afternoon sea breeze when the rest of the county gets little. It ain't no Hood River, but beats going to work.
Brian.bigfella@gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With an 11.0 you can go with a much bigger fin than the stock fin. That will help you upwind both planing and slogging. I use a 70cm formula fin on mine with a 9.5. The 54cm fin that comes with it is great if you're powered up on a 7.5-9.5, but won't let you power upwind if you're on a big sail in marginal wind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: