myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Review on Gator Severne vs. Ezzy Cheetah
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lrrry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Review on Gator Severne vs. Ezzy Cheetah Reply with quote

All,
I'm looking at a Gator sail vs. the Cheetah sail. Looking at the larger ones, 7.5 and bigger.

Goal is for light wind (15kts) slalom/freeride fun sailing. Looking for easy handling, jibing, tacking and staying on plane. Board would be my Explosion or Formula board.

Comments about how they perform?
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top of the line freeride no cam sails are the Cheetah and Retro. I vote Ezzy but you can't go wrong with either. They are also expensive. The Gator is a sail that I have not seen anywhere...
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 6.5 Cheetah, which I really like. I just picked up an 8.0 Cheetah to go with it.

I haven't sailed it yet. when I do, I will write a review.
lrrry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gov,

Anxious to hear your report. Thx.
justall

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If maximizing the plane with light winds in potentially fluky wind, I'd cast a vote for an Ezzy Lion3, based on my initial few rides. David Ezzy told me the cams would rotate effortlessly and fit my goals/preferences ... My experience now with a 7.5, and first Ezzy, agrees with that claim. Funny, carrying the Lion to the beach was even fun, as the thing felt like a wing full of helium ... I carried it for a while by holding the mast with my index finger and thumb (not that that means anything, but was neat).

But, it looks like you might favor maneuvering and easiest jibing over maximizing low wind plane. A non-cam may be your better bet, and then you have the earlier responder comments for help with that. I have been looking at a 6.0 Cheetah, too, wanting something to 'feel' really light, but have wondered if it might not quite feel like that.
lrrry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justall wrote:
If maximizing the plane with light winds in potentially fluky wind, I'd cast a vote for an Ezzy Lion3, based on my initial few rides. David Ezzy told me the cams would rotate effortlessly and fit my goals/preferences ... My experience now with a 7.5, and first Ezzy, agrees with that claim. Funny, carrying the Lion to the beach was even fun, as the thing felt like a wing full of helium ... I carried it for a while by holding the mast with my index finger and thumb (not that that means anything, but was neat).

But, it looks like you might favor maneuvering and easiest jibing over maximizing low wind plane. A non-cam may be your better bet, and then you have the earlier responder comments for help with that. I have been looking at a 6.0 Cheetah, too, wanting something to 'feel' really light, but have wondered if it might not quite feel like that.

Justall,

Thx... I've been thinking of the Lion3... so I wrote David Ezzy to get his opinion. Goal would be easy planning in light winds, followed by easy of jibes, tacking and handling. Rigging is not an issue at all with any one of these sails.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you might have your heart set on the Severne or Ezzy, but I wouldn't overlook the Sailworks Retro. I've just started using a new 7.0 Retro matched with their 100% carbon Lightstick, and I can't believe how well the sail handles. It's powerful, incredibly light feeling and effortless to jibe. I'm very impressed with it's overall quality and performance.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regards to the 2 sails in question.

My mate had the Gator , after me planing sooner than him, he changed to the Cheetah. Ezzy are made to a high standard in Sri Lanka, in a factory where the workers are treated kindly with respect. Resale on any Ezzy is brilliant.

The ref : to Cammed Lion, I dislike cammed but got my arm twisted for a 8.5 Lion, this in comparison to a 7.5 Cheetah on a Formula Starboard. It was heavy, it had the 490 Ezzy mast and never really ticked any boxes over the 7.5.
2 things.. A 7.5 was the largest I wanted, and a cammed sail I never wanted.

I'm amoung a very small percentage, I have a custom 7.0, no more 7.5, it is approx 2 lbs lighter, than the best 7.0s, best being amoung the most popular available. I rig it on a 430 bottom and 460 top, it is not only lightweight but of the better materials available, save TWARON, which is super expensive .

Cheetah without question.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
acalhounguy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gator is a decent sail, nothing special - I sailed them at jibe city in Bonaire and was not inspired in any way to buy one. Cheetah up to 7.5, Lion for 8.5 and 9.5 are great sails that I would buy again.
SupSURFmachines3716

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the 2015 7.5 Cheetah. Sold it

Bought the 2016 lion 3 7.5m. Loved draft stability. Thought i was going to throw my back out the one time I was forced to up haul. Sold it.

Bought the 2016 Legacy 7.5m. Love this sail. Light as a feather. Handles like a 6.5m. I prefer it's feel in the upper range over the Cheetah. I've replaced my 6.5 Cheetah with a legacy too. Something about the legacy I love, not just the light weight. To me, it feels like it twists and breathes better at the upper end.

Legacy....Ezzys best kept secret. Try one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: