myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
light wind board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAdmiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: light wind board Reply with quote

Hi, Looking for a better light wind board. I have fanatic shark130 ok but not wide enough for 8.5-9.5/Bic 293 with dagger board removed, heavy and long,won't release on to plane sometimes/Starboard f155,free formula,85 by 270, doesn't gybe well and needs a lot of fin(early planer)/Isonic 145,88 by 224, too short and has to be pointed way down wind to plane ,needs a lot of sail and goes from slog to fast instantly.I sail with weed fin. My weight 160, skill level passive planer,some gybing. Interested in exocet. Tried a s-cross,138,appx 245 by78 and found it early to plane and very fast. Also x-move 138 interested me but haven't sailed this board. Saw a 130 s-cross ,appx 80 wide and wondered how this sizes up against the other exocet boards. Travel in a class b rv so trying to keep weight and size down. My high wind boards are 115 Rocket/Ahd free diamond 98 litre and 85 litre Naish supercross TRying to use 7.7-8.5 and leave the9.5 at home. Any opinion is appreciated. Mark
AG80

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the Exocet X-cross 115, which was replaced with the X-move 119, and used to own the Fanatic Shark 135. The X-cross will plane with a 7.5 sail in 13-15 mph winds. I liked the Shark 135, but the X-cross planes earlier and is more maneuverable than the Shark 135. I use a SUP or longboard for lighter nonplaning winds. The X-move 138 should plane very early for you, may even be a little big at your size. I weigh 185 and the X-cross 115 is what I use when the winds are 10-15.
scargo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like your Rocket 115, maybe a bigger one, like the Rocket 135, or perhaps the Rocket Wide 128 (at 84 cm).
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the light wind boards that you mention ruling out seem pretty good, like boards I would have recommended. Maybe an updated version of the "free formula" concept would fit the bill? How about the JP Super Light Wind?

I don't know anything about the Xcross but the Scross are nice, well-rounded boards if I remember right from board testing a few years ago. If you want a nice jibing board maybe look at the larger offerings in the "free move" category. The RRD firemove is pretty cool.

DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original post sounds like what is wanted is a light wind planner with some restrictions: "Travel in a class b rv so trying to keep weight and size down....Any opinion is appreciated."

Consider an inflatable such as the Starboard Airplane.

Another suggestion: relax the criteria to the level of finding a light wind glider, something that lets you go and come back in low and light wind without any slogging, but with a lot of enjoyment. Consider an inflatable wind sup.

With a light wind glider there are a lot fewer days when you get skunked because the wind is too low.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exocet windsup 10'
lrrry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat, looking for a light wind board. But I'm 195 and probably have some different needs.

My light wind board is the Bic Formula 160, which is ok, but hard to jybe, and hard to tack up wind.... and a bit of a slug when off plane.

Considering a Kona, that I'm hoping will plane slower, but give better control. Just food for thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: